can you run roadbike wheels on a 29er?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

can you run roadbike wheels on a 29er?

I want a fast singlespeed for the bike paths. I like the geometry of my monocog better than a track bike. I dont want to be stretched out and I love the way it climbs when out of the saddle. Would this work? track bike or monocog 29er with road wheelset?

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph1cog
    I want a fast singlespeed for the bike paths. I like the geometry of my monocog better than a track bike. I dont want to be stretched out and I love the way it climbs when out of the saddle. Would this work? track bike or monocog 29er with road wheelset?
    You could put road wheels on the Monocog or you could put a pair of road slicks on the stock wheels for a lot less money. 29er/700 is the same so it's whatever your budget or preferences will allow. Does your Mono have V-brakes or disc? If they're V-brakes you'd need to set your brake shoes closer to a standard road rim since it's narrower than a standard 29er rim. I've got a set of Michelin 700x32 road slicks for the city or riding on my rollers.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Depends on the rear spacing.

Sweep the leg!
    Let's assume he knows what hubs fit his spacing, or has an LBS who can help him.

Which is why I suggested tires.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Since it's SS with horizontals it will most likely have a bolt on axle that could be spaced out to fit the 135mm rear spacing. The biggest issue you will have is that the lower profile tires will lower the bottom bracket. I would just get a track bike. I love my IRO.

Aug 2007
    yea Im looking hard at iro's right now. Can you stand up and mash up the hills on it or do you stay in the saddle most of the time?

Taco

track bike

Remember, track bike = fixed gear, and not drilled for brakes. Also, my track bikes have high bottom brackets, 74 degree angles, and would be most uncomfortable on the road/path.

I like Caffeine Powered's idea of road slicks on your current (or extra set of) mtb wheels. No spacing problems, no brake adjustment issues, and a lot cheaper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph1cog
    yea Im looking hard at iro's right now. Can you stand up and mash up the hills on it or do you stay in the saddle most of the time?
    I mash. I have 46x16 gearing. It's the steepest geared of all my bikes but also the fastest. I run 175mm cranks with eggbeaters and I've never struck a pedal.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by mlarson
    Remember, track bike = fixed gear, and not drilled for brakes. Also, my track bikes have high bottom brackets, 74 degree angles, and would be most uncomfortable on the road/path.
    non necessarily. generally most track framesets and complete bikes are drilled for brakes (many come with brakes and a flipflop rear wheel), the exception being some of the higher end offerings.

@ op -

you wont be stretched out if you get a bike that fits you.

and yes, you can run road wheels on your cog as long as they are 130's.

if you want to ride it as it is currently geared on bike paths and still ride it off road then get a cheap or used set of wheels and throw some road tyres or hybrid tyres on it.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Aug 2007
    cool, I think I will get a iro markv frame + carbon fork+ king headset from iro, then slowley build it up! Thanks guys, Triumph

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I actually really like the stock Mark V fork. Very quick steering.

Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    non necessarily. generally most track framesets and complete bikes are drilled for brakes (many come with brakes and a flipflop rear wheel), the exception being some of the higher end offerings..
    I am sorry - "most track framesets and complete bikes are drilled for brakes" is incorrect.

Of all the bikes I have seen at our track (NSC Velodrome in MN): Teschner, Bike Technologies, Corima, Pinarello, Colnago, Tiermeyer, Seigler, CSK, Look, Merckx, Cyfac, Felt TK1, Anchor, FES, Calfee, Whistle, Dolan, even the Bianchi Pista Concept - none are drilled for brakes.

There was once a fellow on a Cervelo that was drilled, and one dude on a Cannondale that was drilled, and had waterbottle cage bosses, that raced at our track - but they were by far the exception.

Maybe "Track" bike has become too loose of a term...

old part timer
    I put my Zipp 404 wheels from my cross bike on my 29er as a lark. Just a bit of axle spacing and they worked fine. Felt wierd having that much carbon under me on a fire road but I did not try anything too serious.

meh... whatever

Good job! um, yeah... we're on the same team, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by mlarson
    I am sorry - "most track framesets and complete bikes are drilled for brakes" is incorrect.

Of all the bikes I have seen at our track (NSC Velodrome in MN): Teschner, Bike Technologies, Corima, Pinarello, Colnago, Tiermeyer, Seigler, CSK, Look, Merckx, Cyfac, Felt TK1, Anchor, FES, Calfee, Whistle, Dolan, even the Bianchi Pista Concept - none are drilled for brakes.

There was once a fellow on a Cervelo that was drilled, and one dude on a Cannondale that was drilled, and had waterbottle cage bosses, that raced at our track - but they were by far the exception.

Maybe "Track" bike has become too loose of a term...
    couldnt help but notice that in quoting me you failed to include "not necessarily" and the exception being some of the higher end offerings". you then went on to mention many higher end offerings which were specifically discluded in my statement. so either your reading comprehension sucks or you just want to argue. but there's really nothing to argue about since we're both saying the same thing about most high end track frames not being drilled. i was simply trying to point out in a nice, gentle way that there are plenty of track frames that come drilled for brakes.

you said in response to op looking at the iro "Remember, track bike = fixed gear, and not drilled for brakes". you made a blanket statement that track bikes = fixed gear bikes, and that they are not drilled for brakes, period. and im sorry, but that is incorrect. plenty of track legal frames and fixed gear road bikes come drilled for brakes.

and if you think that "track bike" is a term being used too loosely, perhaps statements like "track bikes = fixed gear" should be avoided since that would seem to perpetuate any misunderstanding or use of the term, being that track bikes are always fixed gear but fixed gear bikes are not always track bikes.

to pick nits in the purist sense of the word, i would agree with you that "track bike" is probably used a little loosely because it has come to include any road bike with track ends regardless of geometry, some of which are not track legal. and yes, a "pure" track bike with "track" geometry isnt super comfy on bike paths for most folks, but some really dig ridding them on the street.

op said he was looking at the iro mark v, which IS drilled for brakes. and yes, most of the comparable track bikes op would be considering come drilled for brakes (bianchi pistas, steamroller, langsters, capos, etc). ive seen higher end track frames from land shark, gunnar, circle a, johnny coast, and others drilled for brakes as well. even high end frames from drysdale and others from early to mid 1900's came drilled.

but no, most modern higher end track frames do not come drilled for brakes. maybe i should have said that before. oh wait... i did.

@ op - youre gonna love that mark v!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    you said in response to op looking at the iro "Remember, track bike = fixed gear, and not drilled for brakes". you made a blanket statement that track bikes = fixed gear bikes, and that they are not drilled for brakes, period. and im sorry, but that is incorrect. plenty of track legal frames and fixed gear road bikes come drilled for brakes.

and if you think that "track bike" is a term being used too loosely, perhaps statements like "track bikes = fixed gear" should be avoided since that would seem to perpetuate any misunderstanding or use of the term, being that track bikes are always fixed gear but fixed gear bikes are not always track bikes.
    "track bikes = fixed gear" This equation is fact not opinion. Fixed Gear =/= Track Bike This is not an equation. mlarson was correct in the first half of his statement.

Back to the topic of the thread not the pissing match.

Triumph1cog Why don't you just put a 700c road tire on your bike a call it a day? 29er and 700c use the same ISO (622) bead diameter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, for sprint races on a track, the bicycle used must be a brakeless fixed gear. If doing other race types on a track, such as time trial, or pursuit a freewheel can be used. Therefore
    {
    track bike = fixed gear
    iff
    {
    race = sprint;
    }
    }

Members who have read this thread: 0