can a ss cyclocross bike convert to mtb- Mtbr.com
    Velocipede Jockey

can a ss cyclocross bike convert to mtb

I have a bianchi san jose, I have been wanting a ss mtb much more. Can it be converted cheap? will tires work on the stock rims, will the frame hold up, and what amount of teeth should i throw on the back if the front is 42?

Thanks for all the info, i don't know much about the geometry and tech or bikes, i just know i like to ride them.

Dirty South Underdog
    I have a Surly Crosscheck that fits a Kenda Karma 1.9 up front and a 45c bontrager in the rear. Gearing depends on your terrain. I run a 36x20, and it's kinda small for around Memphis (flat). I'm guessing that the Karma wouldn't work on the Bianchi, but the Bontrager probably would.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member

Not sure it would be the most fun

I can think of a few problems with this idea. Number one is tire clearance. The smallest mountain tire you'll find is a 1.9, which is the equivalent of a 700x48. If you did get your tire in there, you're going to want to gear way down from your commuting something like 32x16 or easier. A 2:1 gear ratio is pretty standard. Then, and this is my most important point, your crotchal area. The standover on that San Jose can't be anywhere near as nice as a typical mountain bike and compared to cyclocross, one encounters a lot more unintentional dabs on the the trail. This will only need to happen a few times before you see that your testes need more room.

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    Use the advanced search in just the 29er forum for "monstercross". Singlespeed forum has some useful stuff too.

Here are a few good threads:
    I Beg You, More Monstercross

Monster 'cross bikes' creeping towards word domination?

Bianchi San Jose Review

SS Mtb gearing starts around 2:1 (front chainring #teeth divided by back gear #teeth), with 29ers and CX bikes being geared a bit lower to get the same mechanical advantage (due to increased wheel diameter). You'd need at least a 21t freewheel to get that, so getting a smaller chainring up front could be cheaper. Looks like ACS claws freewheels go up to 20t, White Industries goes up to 22, but costs a lot more than a smaller chainring.

Looks like tire clearance could be the most limiting factor on the bike, but depending on your trails, could be fine.

Velocipede Jockey
    I am in colorado and do some pretty steep stuff. Do you run your set up on single track and other mtb rides?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    put on some big fat CX tires, single front chainring (42 a bit big but who cares), 21 rear cog, and maybe a little more bar tape. go out there and kick ass and have fun.

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipede jockey
    I am in colorado and do some pretty steep stuff. Do you run your set up on single track and other mtb rides?
    I can ride it on any trail around here, but it's all pretty tame stuff other than some gnarly roots and the occasional log. I actually feel like if I went to a steeper area that my limiting factor would be the canti brakes. The ones on my bike are kinda cheap (low-end Cane Creeks)- they work fine in Memphis and for cyclocross, but they aren't strong enough to give you control on anything steep.

ACS does make a 22t. I have one in my toolbox that I got in case I wanted to take the crosscheck over to the Ozarks.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    this is how i started riding fixed and ss on some pretty tame local trails. had a crosscheck ss/fg i built up for long dirt road rides / town bike / winter rider and it slowly morphed into a flat bar / mary bar big tire trail rider / dirt road rider kid puller do everything.

i transferred the parts to a soma juice to build up a 29r. main reason was standover clearance... and picking up a disc brake front wheel.

to be honest, i miss the crosscheck most days.

i really liked the fat tire clearance when running nokian extremes this winter and climbing and riding when friends were walking. and i really like running some nevegals on the rooty rocky trails.

but i miss being able to slip back into a more dirt road rig pretty easily.
    might have to tweak the soma to get there...

Velocipede Jockey
    if any one know someone want to sell their ss 29er, let me know. also I would be willing to trade my san jose w/money if need be.

I think i would get way more use out of a mtb then a cross. I am triing to get a ss 29 with out a lot of money, i know its always hard.

Thanks for everyones help

mtbr member
    Here is my Soma DoubleCross set up for trail riding in the SLC/Park City area. It requires a little more attention in the rocks and roots, but if you are handy with a full rigid bike, its not really a handicap.

Gearing is 32:22.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can a ss cyclocross bike convert to mtb-dc.risers.jpg  

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipede jockey
    I ran dinglespeed on my fisticuff 34x16 for hilly roads, 30x20 for monster hills and trails. Now it is 2x8 geared.
    I've taken my old 26" SS to the high point of the colorado trail. Works fine, but you'll need to walk more than with a low geared bike. If your primary use will be trails, swapping out for a mtb would be good.

master blaster
    heres my raleigh one way. it was originally a townie/cross style bike. now its my everything bike, on the streets or on the trails its awesome on both.
    pictured is a very low gear ratio and 28" bars.
    freewheel ratio is 32x17
    fixed ratio is 32x19
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    40mm tires and a 22 tooth freewheel should do just fine. I am running a 40mm Schwalble marathon extreme and a 44mm Mutanoraptor on my Tricross SS with 38/20gearing and can ride it anywhere I ride my mountain bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0