Can someone please explain the differences b/w the Bianchi SS's?- Mtbr.com
    Yo!
    mtbr member

Can someone please explain the differences b/w the Bianchi SS's?

Hello there,

I am going to buy a bike for my little brother at St Edwards University in Austin, and I'll be getting him onto a SS.

I found two S.I.S.S.'s here in Dallas for $300. Is this a decent ride? I checked the reviews but would definitely like a little more info on all the S.S. Bianchi's.

I have exactly $300 to spend and was initially looking for a Monocog 29er, as he's about 6'1 and seems to really like my Dillinger, but this SISS looks like a decent deal.

Thanks for any info!

I'm just messing with you
    $300 is a decent deal if the SISS is in good shape

There's two different years for the chromed SISS, the first year it was made of Dedacchi tubes, the next it was Bianchi CrMo lite.

I've got a 07 MUSS that I ride the living daylights out of.

There's some info here on the bikes - apparently you can use 650b wheels if you want - do a search to find out more.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Both of the ones for sale are the grey color....

I was reading about a design flaw at the headtube that was pone to cracking? Was this issue something similar to the Fisher bikes where people were going through 2-3 frames on warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    Both of the ones for sale are the grey color....

I was reading about a design flaw at the headtube that was pone to cracking? Was this issue something similar to the Fisher bikes where people were going through 2-3 frames on warranty?
    Yep, I just checked and see that I'm wrong - the SASS is the chromed frame, not the SISS.

I've never heard of frames breaking - can you post a link to where you saw it?

link to SISS at bikepedia http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...9140&Type=bike
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Yo!
    mtbr member
    My apologies; it looks like the issue was cracked chainstays:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...3_1510crx.aspx

This is confusing! I mean, aside from color and frame material, it's tough to put side by side comparisons to this bike because there are so many models!

SASS, MUSS, PUSS, GUSS, BASS, SISS, WUSS? I wonder where the SISS fits into all of these?

Also, I see this frame is made of Dedaccai tubing; is this more desirable than the crmo lite?

As far as I've been able tio figure out, the only differences are what you listed, color and material, as well as that some of the really early models weren't disc compatible.

My MUSS is Bianchi-tubed, I was holding out for a Deda-tubed frame, but my MUSS came along next-to-new and at the right price so I setlled. The Bianchi tubing 's plently light and stiff for me though.

One of my posts in this thread breaks all the models down by material http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=370194

Thanks for the link, I gotta check that out to see if my bike could possibly be affected. Update - the MUSS reviews don't mention it, the model year of breakage is prior to my bike, and the tubeset changed - looks like I'm safe. I think I'd stay away from the SISS frames though, based on the number of breakage reports.

My apologies; it looks like the issue was cracked chainstays:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...3_1510crx.aspx

This is confusing! I mean, aside from color and frame material, it's tough to put side by side comparisons to this bike because there are so many models!

SASS, MUSS, PUSS, GUSS, BASS, SISS, WUSS? I wonder where the SISS fits into all of these?

Also, I see this frame is made of Dedaccai tubing; is this more desirable than the crmo lite?
    Last edited by wv_bob; 07-09-2009 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you should run a spreadsheet on this problem......

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I read thru the other threads list and didn't see reference to 29ers. Have they made a steel SS 29er frame? I remember seeing a burgundy frame I really liked a year or so ago, but can't remember what it was.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    The primer grey SISS is the 2003 model - sick. For 300 complete, that is a steal.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Have they made a steel SS 29er frame? I remember seeing a burgundy frame I really liked a year or so ago, but can't remember what it was.
    AFAIK, the only 29ers have been the Rita and the Sok, both are aluminum. The Rita is probably what you're thinking of

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    The primer grey SISS is the 2003 model - sick. For 300 complete, that is a steal.
    I think I'm going to pick it up, even despite the cracking chainstay issues.

My bro is going to be riding it, and he said he would've preferred a 29er, but I think for $300, this bike is cooler than a Monocog 29er, which is pretty much my only option in that price range for 29" wheels.

Plus the one I'm looking for has the PUSS fork on it, so the pink fork with the matte grey finish is kind of a cool look, IMO.

Would you say a 19.5" is sufficient for a 6'1 guy?

smell the saddle...
    I paid $250 for my MUSS frame on eBay which came with the rigid fork and a spare Rock Shox Judy suspension fork (which was junk and I turned around and sold it on eBay). The Bianchi has been one of the best bikes I have ridden and the geometry is awesome (I ride the 17.5, Iím 5í10Ē 32Ē inseam).

With that said, $300 is a good deal for the SISS. As for size for your bro, depends on his inseam, etc. Check the stand over height, top tube length (which is the most important), etc. Hereís a link to the specs: http://www.bianchiusa.com/06-bicycle...n/06-muss.html (Granted thatís for the MUSS but they should all be about the same).

Once you get the bike, post some photos on the Secret Code thread that wv_bob posted. The Bianchiís are becoming a dying breed. Good bikes nonetheless. Also, I have never heard about cracks or problems with these frames.

-stu

Retro Grouch
    Hello there,

I am going to buy a bike for my little brother at St Edwards University in Austin, and I'll be getting him onto a SS.

I found two S.I.S.S.'s here in Dallas for $300. Is this a decent ride? I checked the reviews but would definitely like a little more info on all the S.S. Bianchi's.

I have exactly $300 to spend and was initially looking for a Monocog 29er, as he's about 6'1 and seems to really like my Dillinger, but this SISS looks like a decent deal.

Thanks for any info!
    To answer your original question, here is some great info from a SS Blog called <a href="http://www.jenif.com/bikes/"> jenif.com</a>

M.U.S.S. More Urban Single Speed Bianchi DB CrMo 2006 & 2007 $849.99
    W.U.S.S. White Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed Easton Ultralite 2006 $1339.99
    G.U.S.S. Giallo Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed Easton Ultralite 2005 $1,199.99
    P.U.S.S. (frameset) Pink Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed Easton Ultralite 2005 $599.99
    S.A.S.S. Shiny Ass Single Speed Dedaccai Eom (04), Chromoly (05) 2004 & 2005 $849
    S.I.S.S. Steel Idiot Single Speed (or Steel Is Simple Stupid) Dedaccai Eom 2003 $849
    D.I.S.S. Disc Integrated Single Speed Easton Ultralite 2002 $849
    C.U.S.S. Celeste Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed Easton Ultralite 2001 $899
    B.U.S.S. Brown(or Butt) Ultimate or (Ugly) Single Speed Easton Ultralite 2000 $839
    B.A.S.S. Bad Ass Single Speed Easton Ultralite 1999 $799
    B.O.S.S. Big Orange Single Speed 7005 aluminum, double-butted 1998 $799

From Bianchi’s site: “M.U.S.S. is son of S.A.S.S., who is the son of S.I.S.S. The whole fam damily of single-speeds is made of steel, unlike their kissin’ cousins, B.O.S.S, B.A.S.S., C.U.S.S., B.U.S.S., D.I.S.S., G.U.S.S., P.U.S.S., and the newborn, W.U.S.S., who are made of aluminum.”
    The next generation of naming conventions in 2008 and 2009 for single speedes with Bianchi is Sok.
    Last edited by aka brad; 07-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Members who have read this thread: 0