Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?

I sure hope so...

As it sits:
    29+ front/27+ rear
    68 degree HA
    425 stays (in current position)

There seems to be a lack of progressive geometry in hardtails period, let alone rigid bikes.

I've been running this with a 110 fork for a while but ultimately decided I wanted to fully embrace the ss culture (which I feel is primarily rigid).

First ride like this tomorrow morning...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-20170429_145611.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Really like my 29+ rigid up front. Havent tried plus in the rear. Let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yup!

Out spokin'
    Like THIS tomorrow? Awesome! She's a kewl looker! Let us know how it goes!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I feel the SS culture is primarily single speed. Everything else is down to the individual.

WillWorkForTrail
    Any bike can be fun if you find the right place to ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    There seems to be a lack of progressive geometry in hardtails period, let alone rigid bikes...
    The whole point of the new wave in geometry is to accommodate longer travel forks. These require slacker head angles so that when the fork is in its working range it is at the right head angle - which happens to be around what the old style bikes all use.

Thus for a rigid SS bike it offers no functional advantage to have a slack head angle because your forks don't compress (hopefully!), and slack front ends tend to flop around when you're climbing steep stuff. Seeing as you spend longer climbing than going downhill, it's worth having your bike biased for the climb.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Not an SS believer, but B+/29+ Rigid, hell yes. Absolutely love my Monkey setup this way, super fun. Your bike looks great, have fun, don't feel you need to stay SS to stay rigid

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-dscn0209.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    I sure hope so...

As it sits:
    29+ front/27+ rear
    68 degree HA
    425 stays (in current position)

There seems to be a lack of progressive geometry in hardtails period, let alone rigid bikes.

I've been running this with a 110 fork for a while but ultimately decided I wanted to fully embrace the ss culture (which I feel is primarily rigid).

First ride like this tomorrow morning...
    It's a beautiful build.

This is the type of SS I envision as well. I have been looking at a 2017 steel Kona Honzo frame for similar application.

But the expenses are too steep. And I am not sure there would really be a big enough pay off in capability.

Let us know how the new bike climbs.

Have you been riding rigid SS on another bike before?

Definitely, the big front tire will bestow good abilities. But as someone pointed out, these frames are designed for long travel forks. With suspension, I imagine these frames with plus tires can keep up with full suspension bikes on a lot of technical DH.

So I am keeping an eye on this thread. I ride a light rigid 26" SS most of the time, but also ride a full suspension 27+ bike on technical trails. I would like to SS a new school frame, but am leery of the overall weight a complete build sums up to.

How much does it weigh?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yep

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-trail.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Dude, that ROS9+ is sick.

Jack, I had a rigid single speed at one time but got rid of it once I 'knew better'. I went geared with front suspension and rode like that for a couple years.

This year I got this bike and have been exclusively singlespeed since.

To address a couple other posts:

I'm aware that this progressive geometry is for longer travel bikes. However, I don't see why it wouldn't be fun to have a rigid bike with this same geometry. I spend my time climbing slowly and out of the saddle. It's easily doable to control the wheel flop.

I'm also aware that not everybody that rides ss rides rigid. But if you fling a dead fish around in a group of them you're bound to hit one that does.

As to how it rides, the answer is: amazing. Totally rips going down and I did 4000 vertical over 23 miles today. So yeah, it climbs fine.

Props to Carver for having an awesome fork that took a pounding.

Jack, this build weighs 28 lbs. according to my fish scale. It's a fat bike frame (but also aluminum) though.

Just Ride!
    I'm glad that I found this thread, as I am planning this with my On-One Scandal. The bike is already fairly different from what you usually see around most parts, so might as well confuse them even more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    I'm glad that I found this thread, as I am planning this with my On-One Scandal. The bike is already fairly different from what you usually see around most parts, so might as well confuse them even more.
    The Scandal is one of the best handling bikes I've ridden.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dude, that ROS9+ is sick.

Jack, I had a rigid single speed at one time but got rid of it once I 'knew better'. I went geared with front suspension and rode like that for a couple years.

This year I got this bike and have been exclusively singlespeed since.

To address a couple other posts:

I'm aware that this progressive geometry is for longer travel bikes. However, I don't see why it wouldn't be fun to have a rigid bike with this same geometry. I spend my time climbing slowly and out of the saddle. It's easily doable to control the wheel flop.

I'm also aware that not everybody that rides ss rides rigid. But if you fling a dead fish around in a group of them you're bound to hit one that does.

As to how it rides, the answer is: amazing. Totally rips going down and I did 4000 vertical over 23 miles today. So yeah, it climbs fine.

Props to Carver for having an awesome fork that took a pounding.

Jack, this build weighs 28 lbs. according to my fish scale. It's a fat bike frame (but also aluminum) though.
    My ROS is about 30# in that configuration, actually just put a manitou mag pro on it due to a nagging shoulder injury from a crash last year but will likely get the new Niner carbon RDO fork for it at some point. Took it on a road trip to Utah during Rampage last fall, total blast on Thunder Mtn

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-dsc00304.jpg
    Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-dsc00311.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    absolutely fun, about 71 degree HTA with rigid fork but it is built like a tank. 40mm rims, syntace cockpit, extra chunky ESI grips, 2.4" 120tpi tires - After tons of experimenting, I find these components are essential for me to enjoy rowdy rigid riding

However, i put a Suntour Aion and 11spd on it the other day, need to
    take it out soon

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-chumba-1.jpg

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-chumba-2.jpg

EDIT:forgot its not +, however i can fit a 2.8" 29er tire on the rear, looking forward to this new crop of semi plus tires coming out soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioinactive View Post
    absolutely fun, about 71 degree HTA with rigid fork but it is built like a tank. 40mm rims, syntace cockpit, extra chunky ESI grips, 2.4" 120tpi tires - After tons of experimenting, I find these components are essential for me to enjoy rowdy rigid riding

However, i put a Suntour Aion and 11spd on it the other day, need to
    take it out soon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chumba 1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	1135003

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chumba 2.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	1135004

EDIT:forgot its not +, however i can fit a 2.8" 29er tire on the rear, looking forward to this new crop of semi plus tires coming out soon
    Magic gear?!

Good ride for sure. Great to see this here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Magic gear?!

Good ride for sure. Great to see this here.

Thanks, im using an EBB

Has anyone used an Angleset with a rigid fork? or has anyone used an Angleset on some variety of carbon steer tube?

Just Ride!
    Okay, so back to the topic of plus and mixed... Shinkers, did you get to ride your frame as 29 front and rear to compare the transformation of the mixed platform? I have in my mind the benefits of being able to carve in and out of turns with the mixed wheel sizes, but wonder how the handling on climbs may have changed if any? There have been a few articles written on the mixed platforms, but mainly contained info from the people trying to market the bikes, so I would rather hear from someone that did things the way you did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I run my SS with a 29x2.3 rear and 29x3.0 front. By far the best upgrade I ever made was going + front. Rigid + front was made for SS.

I am very curious about running 27.5+ in the rear if I can make it fit. I wonder how much different it is.

Category Winner
    I played with it a bit and might do some more after the "season" is over.

Felt pretty dope tho.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll have to see if it would fit in my frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Front mix options

Beside having a i30mm front rim with 29x2.35 -2.5 tires. I also mix in the i40 rim with 29x3 tire and a i35 rim with the new Nobby Nic 29x2.6.
    The biggest set-up is pretty amazing once it's rolling it mows over anything. The mid is nice and is easier to get moving after stops. The small(but not racer/light XC small) is the fastest and flicks around switchbacks the best.
    I use i30 DT Swiss XM481 on both my bikes but I will be trying an i35 next. Having a high volume/low air pressure tire on a rigid,reallly makes the bike feel a lot better. I will never go less than an i30, but that's just me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-img_0342.jpg  

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-img_0324.jpg  

Can a slack/plus/mixed/rigid/singlespeed bike be fun?-img_0372.jpg  

[COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn