Can people honestly say......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Can people honestly say......

This is something that, since my introduction to SSing and frequenting the forums, I have wondered quite often and would like to hear how other people feel. Singlespeeding to me is almost like a personal battle, each and every time I ride. It's a personal fight to not give up when that hill has all but stopped my momentum, or that inner drive to clear every obstacle that had become easy on a gearie. I don't really know why it makes me feel superior, but it does. Well, it makes me feel superior to the ME before Singlespeeding. It's like I feel there should be some secret little handshake because we are all clued into something great, and no one else has a clue. It reminds me of the youth, I was at the movies with my parents and saw for the first time, a woman shirt open and her breasts revealed. My mother says she looked at me, and I looked back, this devilish grin from ear to ear, as if we were the only two people to be shown such a thing. Or, as others have said many a time, maybe I just enjoy the pain.

Regardless, I only ask, can people honestly say that Singlespeeding to them/you/he/she/it, is all about the simplicity, and not about that sense of personal achievement? Quite honestly, I think there is more noise now without the shifters. It's either my lungs working OT trying to suck air through those now all to small nostrils. Or maybe the constant grunting as I work the bars side to side, thinking the whole time that I have been missing out on so much for the last 12 years. Maybe it's just my take on the whole thing.

I sure love that feeling though.
    .....but good luck with that.

Misfit Psycles
    the simplicity is nice. beating (up) your friends is nice. but at the end of the day it is, for sure, the masochist in me that loves my single the most...

how far/long can i go today without a rest? once all climbs are mastered, can i do them faster? and no it's never about the race, a watch or computer, when i've done it, i just know. y'know?

oh and ya, many won't admit it but, i like to count teeth too. not yours but mine. gear ratio is another battle i like to have with myself.
    Last edited by nogearshere; 09-16-2005 at 07:31 PM. Reason: d'oh
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! I'm there with ya..

For me, it isn't about ego, or i'm a better rider than you, or the look at me I ride a singlespeed thing..

For me it is the conquering of my body and it's limitations by sheer willpower, that basic urge inside me that says...never give up, never quit, push the limits, never give in to the pain.

It's about the challenge of overcoming gravity and obstacles, of using my muscles and sinews and mind in one constant and on-going endevour against the debilities of age.

It's about being in tune with my surroundings that constantly change, yet not thinking about them, just.......doing...my mind aware of the trail, the bike, the pain, the hot razors that I breath, but not thinking about it, just ...being.

Action and reaction, effort and sweat, hot breath and pain, input and output, movement and stillness, all at the same time.

I love singlespeeding. It appeals to the basic creature that is me. It's primal. It touches something inside me, something that civilization and manners and gears can't tap.

The simplicity, lightness, quickness, the 'what you put in is what you get out feeling.'

Pain.....yes, but....................................

It's .................................................. ..................................... addictive..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Misfit Psycles
    rainman, that is pure poetry...my response didn't even sound that good in my head.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

No Justice = No Peace

You need help

I love the feeling of superiority, the accomplishment, the suffering, adn the resulting super human streength I feel when I take a liesurely spin on my geared bikes.

What concerns me is your comparison between the endured suffering of pulling your fat ass up hill in one gear to your first experience of seeing naked breasts. Do you think guys who date busty women look at the others with that survivalists sense of accomplishment? I don't actually recall the pain connected with that particular rite of passage.

"Man, if you only knew what I have been through....."
    -Tommy Lee
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member

Nope

Not about simplicity for me. I tried it because I just dig everything bikes and I had to find out what everyone on this forum was raving about. As for the experience, for me SS is inferior in every way except as a training tool but in that area it made me stronger especially out of the saddle. I can clean most everything on my 5 Spot and I'm walking way too much on my SS. After discovering that I tried it as a ridgid as opposed to hardtail because so many said it's the ultimate; well the ultimate repetitive injury machine maybe. I find that I can ride further, more often with less hand, wrist and back issues on the 5 Spot than on the SS, rigid or otherwise. I still ride the SS but only when I'm not going to hold everyone back or kill myself trying to keep up. That's what's great about the sport though' there's something for everyone.

mtbr member
    I believe that robots have stolen my luggage

Boj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    I love the feeling of superiority, the accomplishment, the suffering, adn the resulting super human streength I feel when I take a liesurely spin on my geared bikes.

What concerns me is your comparison between the endured suffering of pulling your fat ass up hill in one gear to your first experience of seeing naked breasts. Do you think guys who date busty women look at the others with that survivalists sense of accomplishment? I don't actually recall the pain connected with that particular rite of passage.

"Man, if you only knew what I have been through....."
    -Tommy Lee

His analogy was to demonstrate the feeling of knowing something special he shares only with a handful of people.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

I am Walt
    "Because it's there..."
    Ride more; post less...

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman

For me it is the conquering of my body and it's limitations by sheer willpower, that basic urge inside me that says...never give up, never quit, push the limits, never give in to the pain.

Dang! How'd you crawl into my head like that? Lately it's all been about a struggle with personal demons. The act of singlespeeding is the physical push to the limits and it helps to push that hard when you are getting pushed that hard elsewhere in life. At least it helps me sort out what's going on.

Although simplicity does count for something in my book. I just want to ride, I don't really want to work on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    His analogy was to demonstrate the feeling of knowing something special he shares only with a handful of people.

Bingo!

And actually, I don't JUST date women with overly large breasts.

Waiting to exhale.
    Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    I am so baked right now I don't know whether to laugh or be afraid.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MACK1
    It reminds me of the youth, I was at the movies with my parents and saw for the first time, a woman shirt open and her breasts revealed. My mother says she looked at me, and I looked back, this devilish grin from ear to ear, as if we were the only two people to be shown such a thing.
    boobs.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Misfit Psycles
    now this thread is going somewhere.
    boobs, robots and getting baked (um, cooking)? oh bikes too.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Boj
    mtbr member

No good

Bingo!

And actually, I don't JUST date women with overly large breasts.

Absolutely!!! Can't live just off of meat.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

mtbr member
    This has been a very good summer of riding, generally right out the backdoor for me, and I can feel the strength I've earned on each climb I do. Yes, I love the simplicity. Yes, I love how clean a SS looks. Actually I really, really dig the appearence of SS. I can sit and look at mine for extended periods that my wife doesn't understand. Yes, I love how riding one reminds me of being a kid on a BMX, unleased for the first time. Yes, I love how launchable they are, how light they are, how flickable they are and how quiet they are. But I'll tell ya what, I'd be kidding myself if I said I didn't get off on knowing I can ride some kick-as5 trails with only one gear and furthermore (although it only matters to myself) knowing what that gear is. F-yeah, it's all of that.

Singlespeeds, a hallucinogenic reminder of simple joys of biking...or something like that

I'm how far behind?

On todays ride....

Since I'm very new to singlespeeding, I decided to see what my rigid 29er could do on a technical climb. I went to Hall Ranch outside of boulder for some experimentation. Now, all ranch is not supertechnical, it does have some good sections to work things out on. As often happens on rides this close to boulder, it quickly became a waiting game as different people tried to clean different lines. Finally my turn came up, and I was the first of our group to clean this one line. As I was waiting (actually I was trying not to vomit) at the top, a rider who did not make it came walking up and said "Wow, watching you make it on that bike (rigid ss), makes me feel like I don't deserve this full suspension bike". Now this was one of those rare moments when the think that automatically popped out of my mouth was fitting. I turned to the rider and said " No, it is the other way around."

I definately don't deserve a bike that makes me feel this good, makes me feel this strong, makes me happy just to be outside getting my butt kicked. But since I have this bike, what can I do? I'll just have to go for another ride tomorrow.

jim
    Fatter than most.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    my first single speed was an old road frame that i hung all my spare parts on. i had to buy an extra bmx freewheel to make it work.

my second single speed was a POS KHS mtb frame that i put all my spare mtb parts on. i didnt use a tensioner and i dropped my chain a lot.

that was ten years ago in colorado. after my first two encounters with single speeding big bikes -BMX doesnt count as SS- i thought it was a pretty stoopid idea and went back to riding with derailleurs.

now i ride exclusively singlespeed just because derailleurs are too much hassel and chainslap is for chumps. I'll be trying a rohloff setup soon. I hope I like it because gears are sometimes nice.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennytalia

I am so baked right now I don't know whether to laugh or be afraid.
    PMSL....

I tried it because the whole idea intrigued me, and I had most of a bike sitting there waiting to go. (had to buy chain, sprocket and front wheel).

The reasons I *most* like SS's - I can get a full workout in a 2hr nightride. I love the way you have to be smooth to be fast; and frankly yeah, no small amount of masochism!

dead sailor

Idea! and there its is

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman

Pain.....yes, but....................................

It's .................................................. ..................................... addictive..

R.
    Ahhh yes the pain. That's what we all come back to.

It hurts. Its insurmountable. But it urges me to keep pushing hard, harder than I thought possible. "Maybe I'm better than this? Maybe I'm more capable?" So I keep going forward; I cannot surrender - keep figthing the blinding pain; i cannot alow myself to be defeated - charge through the relentless exhaustion - grinding and churning until it makes me throw up. And even after then I keep at it, hoping that one day I can conquer life like I conquered the mountain.
    All that so I can give a breath of relief, and breathe the air on top.
    Last edited by PickledFish; 09-20-2005 at 12:46 AM.
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

Category Winner

I'll have to agree

I am into SS'ing mostly for the boobs. I never thought it would lead to so many boobs, but here I am with more boobs than I can shake a stick at. Hurray!
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Hmmm... Not really understanding the boob comments. I guess I'd have to climb over the fence, so to speak, to figure that one out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Hmmm... Not really understanding the boob comments.
    You'll have to refer to the original post. It was just a thought from my childhood. Actually, more of an emotional example regarding excitement in comparison to SS'ing than an actual boob comment.

If nothing else, it says just how much I love SS'ing.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    If nothing else, it says just how much I love SS'ing.
    Here, here. Now if only there was a way to combine the two, heck throw in a pint of Guiness and complete the heavenly trifecta.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Members who have read this thread: 0