Can a Mountain stem fit WTB Dirt Drops?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Can a Mountain stem fit WTB Dirt Drops?

I'm going to use a pair of Dirt Drops on a bike I'm gonna build up and I have a Ritchey Fatbone stem in the spare parts box. Are they compatible or will I need to use a shim?

Thanks!

KavuBiker

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

It depends...

I think some of them were made with a road diameter clamp area. However, my Dirt Drops fit fine in my mountain stems so I assume mine is the one with a mt bike sized clamp area.

Quote Originally Posted by KavuBiker
    I'm going to use a pair of Dirt Drops on a bike I'm gonna build up and I have a Ritchey Fatbone stem in the spare parts box. Are they compatible or will I need to use a shim?

Thanks!

KavuBiker

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

should be fine

Most of those bars were 25.4, as I'm assuming your stem is. You'll no if the bars are 26.0.

-Hurl
    carsrcoffins.com

Schipperkes are cool.

Thanks!

KavuBiker
    Yep, you're golden if it is a traditional MTB stem (25.4mm clamp). WTBs, Bontrager 'cross bars, and some Nitto offerings are all 25.4mm. Most normal road bars are 26.0mm clamp. The WTB was meant for MTB usage!

-MC on Banks' machine

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Thanks all!

Sounds good!

Surly Karate Monkey rigid 29'er MTB Fixed Drop Bar SS in the works! (geez that's a mouthful!).

I'll post pics when she's done!

KavuBiker

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

KavuBiker
    If I recall correctly, the WTB bars (along with the Ibis bars) were all 26.0. I remember this because the Salsa drop bar stems only fit drop bars and the mountain stems only fit 25.4 flat bars. You won't need a shim, you'll need to ream out the stem. I did this on a newer aluminum Salsa stem to fit a 26.0 bar on my cross bike. I'm sure the Ritchey stem if it's a mountain stem is 25.4.

flexiflyer
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    If I recall correctly, the WTB bars (along with the Ibis bars) were all 26.0.
    Nope...the WTB Dirt Drop has a 25.4mm clamp. Every pair I've had since the early 90's and the sets I have now are all 25.4mm. They are all I ride and have exclusively for a number of years.

MC

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flexiflyer
    Nope...the WTB Dirt Drop has a 25.4mm clamp. Every pair I've had since the early 90's and the sets I have now are all 25.4mm. They are all I ride and have exclusively for a number of years.

MC
    Doh. Yep, you're right. The old Specialized forged alloy stems (with the hole in the center for a front brake cable stop) fit both flat bars and WTB or Ibis drops.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

MC
    26.0 and 25.4. This question drove me crazy because I measured my Ibis bars and they are all 26.0 and I remember WTB and Ibis bars being interchangeable in stems. So a quick e-mail to MS and here's the answer - Both! If your bar has "WTB-2" stamped on it, it was made in Taiwan and is 25.4. If your bar has "RM-2" stamped on it, it was made in Japan by Nitto and is 26.0. The Japanese made bars were the first generation from the '80s to the very early '90s.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

If I remember correctly

I had to use a shim with mine on a road stem.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member

Stem Rise

Don't forget that you'll probably want to add spacers (is your fork already cut?) and use a stem with some rise to get the bars up to a height that is comfortable. i'm still looking for a good 40 degree stem. my current cheap stem allows my drop bars to creak.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    26.0 and 25.4. This question drove me crazy because I measured my Ibis bars and they are all 26.0 and I remember WTB and Ibis bars being interchangeable in stems. So a quick e-mail to MS and here's the answer - Both! If your bar has "WTB-2" stamped on it, it was made in Taiwan and is 25.4. If your bar has "RM-2" stamped on it, it was made in Japan by Nitto and is 26.0. The Japanese made bars were the first generation from the '80s to the very early '90s.
    There are also bars without a stamp other than the WTB logos. I have one bar with the "WTB-2" stamp and 4 without stamps. The latter also have a satin finish to the bar (other than the center section). All are 25.4.

Not sure what the two 25.4 pair I am using on bikes are stamped.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    Don't forget that you'll probably want to add spacers (is your fork already cut?) and use a stem with some rise to get the bars up to a height that is comfortable. i'm still looking for a good 40 degree stem. my current cheap stem allows my drop bars to creak.
    Try a Salsa Moto Ace S.U.L. the 130 is the same as a 40.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Shiggy, thanks for another tip on stems; you gave me sound advice when i started riding with the WTB and even offered to give me a stem. is that a 4-bolt stem? odd that 130 is the same as 40 (180 - 40 = 140). i'll probably try it anyway as everything should be tight and quiet (other than the freewheel) on a good SS bike.

flexiflyer
    Cygnus sez: "odd that 130 is the same as 40 (180 - 40 = 140)."

QBP/Salsa do their measurements with a 0 degree stem being marked as a 90 degree (in relation to the steerer). Therefore 90 + 40 = 130.

MC

flexiflyer
    Gotcha. I've always associated the "RM-2" bars with Specialized or Ibis...not specifically being branded as "WTB Dirt Drops." The 25.4 bars are definitely way more prevalent as you could still get them from WTB's existing stock in 2001-2002.

MC

mtbr member
    thanks matt and shiggy, for the math lesson, and heads up on the moto ace. cambriabike has them in a range of rise angles and lengths. after riding the wtb bars, i can't get used to anything else, including the drop bars on my road bike. here's my current winter ride--sycip frame but maybe a ute is in my future. i'm out the door on it right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    Shiggy, thanks for another tip on stems; you gave me sound advice when i started riding with the WTB and even offered to give me a stem. is that a 4-bolt stem? odd that 130 is the same as 40 (180 - 40 = 140). i'll probably try it anyway as everything should be tight and quiet (other than the freewheel) on a good SS bike.
    It is a two bolt face plate with a groove and ridge that interlock and are suppose to increase the rigidity and reduce creaking.

Matt would say "go fixed and the whole bike will be quiet."
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=flexiflyer]Gotcha. I've always associated the "RM-2" bars with Specialized or Ibis...not specifically being branded as "WTB Dirt Drops." The 25.4 bars are definitely way more prevalent as you could still get them from WTB's existing stock in 2001-2002.

yo fellars.

i've got five pairs of Dirt Drops, all four are 26.0 clamp, pre 90's made.

on the left of the bar looking at it, they are stamped "specialized",and directly under that on the same side they are stamped "rm-2" , and on the right they are stamped with a WTB badge logo, not the initials WTB like the newer ones. they also have a specialized Heat Treated decal on the left side where bar wrap would be.

this really does this thread no good, but dangit, i wanted to chime in.

for what it's worth.

yo matt, thanks again.

Wednesday is D-day for yours truly.

over and out
    nate

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Wow, didn't expect so many replies!

[QUOTE=cursivearmy]
    Gotcha. I've always associated the "RM-2" bars with Specialized or Ibis...not specifically being branded as "WTB Dirt Drops." The 25.4 bars are definitely way more prevalent as you could still get them from WTB's existing stock in 2001-2002.

yo fellars.

on the left of the bar looking at it, they are stamped "specialized",and directly under that on the same side they are stamped "rm-2" , and on the right they are stamped with a WTB badge logo, not the initials WTB like the newer ones. they also have a specialized Heat Treated decal on the left side where bar wrap would be.

for what it's worth.

yo matt, thanks again.

over and out
    nate

My Dirt Drops are on their way! Also, since people are responding to this post, does anyone have a pic of Rudy Nadler's bike, the one he rode at 24 Hours of Old Pueblo? A clear pic of his bike?
    Thank you!

KavuBiker

yo fellars.

for what it's worth.

yo matt, thanks again.

over and out
    nate
    All of my bars have the WTB "badge" on one side of the clamp area and "WTB" on the other. The one pair with the other stamping has it near the left end of the bar: "WTB2 580" and "98 1" under that. In front of both is a logo that looks like a football goalpost on top of an arch with a inside a box.
    mtbtires.com

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    does anyone have a pic of Rudy Nadler's bike, the one he rode at 24 Hours of Old Pueblo? A clear pic of his bike?
    Thank you!

KavuBiker
    Sorry, just in my mind as he let me past during the wee hours and it was hard to concentrate on his bike as he finished in the bunny suit. It wasn't that distinct - a darkish color frame, WTB drops, fixed gear that wouldn't show up in a photo and front brakes. I'm pretty sure there was a dummy brake lever to balance out the bars. Go to epicrides.com / 24hrs in the Old Pueblo / check out the results and get his number, then search the photos that are (or will be available through the site). http://www.epicrides.com/results2004/94.html his number "94" and lap times here. The linked photos at epicrides are still from last year.

mtbr member

Hey thanks!

Sorry, just in my mind as he let me past during the wee hours and it was hard to concentrate on his bike as he finished in the bunny suit. It wasn't that distinct - a darkish color frame, WTB drops, fixed gear that wouldn't show up in a photo and front brakes. I'm pretty sure there was a dummy brake lever to balance out the bars. Go to epicrides.com / 24hrs in the Old Pueblo / check out the results and get his number, then search the photos that are (or will be available through the site). http://www.epicrides.com/results2004/94.html his number "94" and lap times here. The linked photos at epicrides are still from last year.
    Just wanted to see a setup like that.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who posted to this thread. When I get my WTB bars, I'll report if that stem fits.

KavuBiker