can this kona be salvaged?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

can this kona be salvaged?

Hi all
    my first post here. I recently bought a 19" steel Kona Explosif (same as Unit but option to run gears) frame on ebay. it arrived with a dinged head tube at the fork end so its no longer a round opening, more "peach" shaped. the seller and I are working through the post office to see if their insurance will cover it. i was wondering if a steel frame like this can be salvaged by merely pressing in a Head set cup. should I try aluminum (stiffer? but softer?) or steel (stronger) cups? I would appreciate any thoughts.
    thanks
    Last edited by freaky-styley; 09-29-2005 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add pics

mtbr member
    A frame builder or machine shop could probably repair the dent but I wouldn't try using a headset cup to do it.

SS Clyde 29er

ask the pro's...

http://www.frameforum.net/

since its steel, i think it will be aiight.

should I try aluminum (stiffer? but softer?) or steel (stronger) cups? I would appreciate any thoughts.

damn it man...haven't u heard:

"Once giants lived in the earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered, and the earth shook. Fire and Wind struck down these giants... but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. And we who found it are just men -- not gods, not giants,(or peacock roadies) just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one, no one in the world can you trust -- not men, not women, not beasts... this you can trust."
    Conan's dad, from the film "Conan the Barbarian."

...WORD BRO!

Slave to the grind
    Quote Originally Posted by fire horse
    http://www.frameforum.net/

since its steel, i think it will be aiight.

should I try aluminum (stiffer? but softer?) or steel (stronger) cups? I would appreciate any thoughts.

damn it man...haven't u heard:

"Once giants lived in the earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered, and the earth shook. Fire and Wind struck down these giants... but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. And we who found it are just men -- not gods, not giants,(or peacock roadies) just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one, no one in the world can you trust -- not men, not women, not beasts... this you can trust."
    Conan's dad, from the film "Conan the Barbarian."

...WORD BRO!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    As the others said, take it to a builder and have them look at it. Because the frame is made from steel it could be fixed, if it were Al you would be toasted.

mtbr member
    Hi !
    I had the same problem on the Retrotec frame I bought from eBay:
    I just put the head tube in a wood vice (B&D Workmate) and then used a 3 feet long steel tube (about 3/4" ) that I inserted in the headset tube as a lever. With a surprisingly ligh pressure and some rolling movement I was able to slowly get back to a very acceptable round shape. That's one of the advantages of steel tubing ! ;-)

Hope my explanations are clear...

Cheers,
    Francois
    Looking for cheap Chris king or Syncros 1", threaded headset, Mary or Mungo bars, ENO eccentric Hub...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fanzy38
    Hi !
    I had the same problem on the Retrotec frame I bought from eBay:
    I just put the head tube in a wood vice (B&D Workmate) and then used a 3 feet long steel tube (about 3/4" ) that I inserted in the headset tube as a lever. With a surprisingly ligh pressure and some rolling movement I was able to slowly get back to a very acceptable round shape.
    THANKS!!
    Francois,
    I had similar inclination to use a fork steerer tube to apply pressure. I made some progress with my thumb alone. Using a steel tube, i was afraid I would ovalize the opposite end of the head tube where there is a natural pivot point. I was thinking of first installing a head set cup to protect that other end. I like your "rolling" approach. way more fun than going to a builder.
    cheers
    Last edited by freaky-styley; 09-30-2005 at 07:18 AM.

HIYAH
    Quote Originally Posted by freaky-styley
    THANKS!!
    Francois,
    I had similar inclination to use a fork steerer tube to apply pressure. i was afraid I would ovalize the opposite end of the head tube where there is a natural pivot point. I was thinking of first installing a head set cup to protect that other end. I like your "rolling" approach better.
    Once fixed (I would personally do it in my garage with a large Dia wooden dowel) I would install a deep cup headset like the chris king or the FSA (I think they have one) That would insure the strength of the headtube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I knew this was the right place to ask

I am amazed at how much you guys have to add to any dilemna. To think that I dont even have to wait until Arnold's next campaign speech to get a good dose of Conan quotes. Thanks

mtbr member
    Using a steel tube, i was afraid I would ovalize the opposite end of the head tube where there is a natural pivot point.
    The tube I used was a bit rounded at the end, and I took care that is was going to pivot inside the head-tube (more or less in front of the down-tube), not on it's bottom edge.

Enjoy !
    Francois
    Looking for cheap Chris king or Syncros 1", threaded headset, Mary or Mungo bars, ENO eccentric Hub...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I ordered the same frame and the same thing happened. Sent it back and Kona replaced it. Must be some po'd offshore workers packing them up.

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    sounds like a job for the Chris King Steelset once repaired...
    I am CHEAP

Harrumph
    As others have said a HS with deeper cups may be in order. The Race Face Diabalous is a good option at half the price of the steel set. I've got one in my Explosif and it looks a bit beefy in those thin tubes but it's really smooth, stainless, and a part I won't have to worry about.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    I am amazed at how much you guys have to add to any dilemna. To think that I dont even have to wait until Arnold's next campaign speech to get a good dose of Conan quotes. Thanks
    No kidding, if he busted that one out I might actually vote for him. Well, actually there is no chance in hell I would do that but I would break a smile.

As with the King steel set that was recomended for its deeper cups, if it is loose due to the headtube being stretched out in the repair, it can always be brazed in with a bit of brass by any builder.

good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

headtube

Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    As others have said a HS with deeper cups may be in order. The Race Face Diabalous is a good option at half the price of the steel set. I've got one in my Explosif and it looks a bit beefy in those thin tubes but it's really smooth, stainless, and a part I won't have to worry about.
    I have installed a headset in an SE racing bmx frame(old,steel) with exactly the same problem and using the headset press was enough to stretch the headtube back to its original shape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessive mechanic
    I have installed a headset in an SE racing bmx frame(old,steel) with exactly the same problem and using the headset press was enough to stretch the headtube back to its original shape.
    thats what i was getting at with my original post. did you use alloy or steel headset? is frame steel?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Steel headset,steel frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

problem fixed

Thanks all for your help. after submitting claim for repair cost (LBS $70 estimate) with post office, I corrected the dent 90% using the steerer tube of a project 2 fork--2 minutes, not a lot of force. then had my trusted mechanic press in a King HS (standard nothreadset-alloy). you'd never know there was a problem.

pics coming......spot/wtb SS wheels, WTB mutanos and EA50 bar (courtesy of MTBR seller John Leckrone--thanks)
    avid SD7 levers and mech discs, blk King HS, Thomson stm, LP post, Next LP cranks.
    shimano 545 pedals, selle italia Flite Ti (all coourtesy of my parts bin.

she's gorgeous.

Members who have read this thread: 0