mtbr member
    May 2011

Can I use a normal chain ring up front?

Hi friends. I just bought a new crankset for my SS. A nice carbon FSA SL-K. Of course, in my stupidity I didn't notice that it uses 3-bolt rings instead of the normal (I guess) 104 BCD 4-bolt rings. This means that I cant use my Race Face narrow wide chain ring which I was planning too.

Is is an option to use a regular geared chain ring up front or will I have issues with dropped chains?

I'm using a White Industries Eccentric hub in the rear if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
    M

mtbr member
    a ramped- and pinned chainring is going to drop the chain on a pretty regular basis and drive you insane. i looks like FSA has you covered with a SS ring though. FSA SL-K COMPACT 386 SINGLE (2014 GRAPHIC) - FSA

I understand if you like that crankset, but if I was in that situation, I would return the cranks and get something with a standard 104 BCD just to avoid future problems with chainring availability.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for your answer. Your right, it kind of sucks. I only paid around $110 for the cranks (slightly used) so its not the end of the world. It's for a project bike so I'll have some time to find a FSA n/w ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I will say from experience in my early days of SS you'll probably be fine with a ramped ring so long as you have a non-ramped cog in back (give it a shot what is the harm?). you will have to pay more attention to chain tension. It is not ideal BUT it wouldn't keep me off the trials.

I also know from experience that using a ramped cog in back will lead to MANY dropped chains.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll give it a try. Using a singlespeed freewheel in the back so that should be OK.

mtbr member
    Installing a JumpStop is a cheap fix too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Installing a JumpStop is a cheap fix too.
    Seems like a good idea. Do you think I'll have any problems with the chain dropping off to the right side of the ring? I plan to not use a bash guard.

mtbr member
    I don't this is a problem with good chain tension. I haven't mountain biked with this but I do it on my fixed gear road bike and I have descended many long steep canyons at crazy rpm without issues.
    Los Angelino looking to escape the clamor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Seems like a good idea. Do you think I'll have any problems with the chain dropping off to the right side of the ring? I plan to not use a bash guard.
    Don't know. I always used a bash guard. BBG has one for your crank for $12 if you decide to go that route.

mtbr member

No problem w/ramp

Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Thanks for your answer. Your right, it kind of sucks. I only paid around $110 for the cranks (slightly used) so its not the end of the world. It's for a project bike so I'll have some time to find a FSA n/w ring.

I have been riding SS for 15yrs and have used and continue to use ramped chain rings. Absolutely NO problem!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    I have been riding SS for 15yrs and have used and continue to use ramped chain rings. Absolutely NO problem!
    Interesting. I'll definitely try it out.

mtbr member
    You should be fine as since there is no derailleur, the tension will be fixed..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    With correct chainline and chain tension it works fine.

local trails rider
    I used a "normal" Deore chainring for a year or two. No particular problems. Good chainline and tension - but I also had (and have) a bashring.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Good chain line and proper chain tension and you should be golden.