can I make a single speed just like that?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

can I make a single speed just like that?

I wanted to ask if I could run a single speed setup simply by picking a gear I want in a geared bike such as 34/18 and shortening the chain and just leaving it there and not shifting it?.

Will the derailleur alone work for taking out the slack.

Bike shop told me it would possibly just slip over the teeth.

but what if I also put an unramped chainring on the crank?.

OR what if I put a single speed sprocket on the rear wheel, could I use the derailleur for tensioning the chain to that single cog?.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    simply not shifting would in essence give you a SS as long as the entire cassette block is still on the bike. It's the cheapest way to try it out. If the chain would slip over cogs when you not shifting, wouldn't that hapen all the time with geared bikes? Makes no sense. There are a couple problems with the idea though. First, it will be really hard not to shift. Second, you won't experience the minor efficiency, weight, and silence gains of a true SS system.

Next step up would be to buy a SS kit for like $20-30. I like the dmr kit for cheap kits best. You'll get a cog, spacers and tensioner. This is the cheapest way to go to a single cog effectively.

Downcountry AF
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    You lose the advantages of SS = direct connection with no extra friction. Buy a SS frame - do it right.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

Birdman aka JMJ
    If you just want to try it out, find a gear that you want, then wrap a rag or something over the shifter so you cannot shift.

Next step as khardrunner14 says is taking off the cassette and shifter, and running single cog/spacers plus tensioner and shortened chain. Costs $20 or so, and an hour of your time.

Once you get the bug, then go dedicated hub or frame. Easiest for me was using WI Eno eccentric hubs on my current frames. If full suspension, you will still have to go with a tensioner unless you have a URT frame.

Have at it!

JMJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Next step up would be to buy a SS kit for like $20-30. I like the dmr kit for cheap kits best. You'll get a cog, spacers and tensioner. This is the cheapest way to go to a single cog effectively.[/QUOTE]

The bike I am getting is a specialized hardrock 650b which uses a freewheel hub, so would there be any good tensioners and spacer kits for that type of wheel?

Birdman aka JMJ
    Most cheap kits ($20-30), will have a few size cogs and all the spacers you need, plus a pull-down tensioner. I've used a basic PerformanceBike Forte singlespeed kit, and once I decided on the right ratio, I went to a dedicated hub, freewheel, and SS rampless chainring.

Good luck. JMJ

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    You lose the advantages of SS = direct connection with no extra friction. Buy a SS frame - do it right.
    My best riding SS bikes are the 2 that need tensioners.
    The other 2 are just lacking that special something and are only really nice.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    My best riding SS bikes are the 2 that need tensioners.
    The other 2 are just lacking that special something and are only really nice.
    Your talking about the ride quality of the frame. He was talking about the efficiency and immediacy of the drivetrain.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.