Can Crossmax wheels be used for SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Can Crossmax wheels be used for SS?

I pieced together a SS from parts i had laying around. I am using a very used '02 ust Crossmax wheelset and whenever i get on a really steep hill about every third revolution the pawls slip. I've replaced the cassette body and the pawls and it still happens. Chainring and cogs are new and i had a friend follow me up the hill and he said the chain didn't slip or ride up.

Are Crossmax freehubs just not strong enough for single speeding?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    yes. They work
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Odd problem, I ran them for a few years w/o problems. As for strong... well I imagine there are a few pro riders out there puting plenty of power into theirs w/o problems.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I used Xmaxs on mi SS for a while with cero problems, Mavic freehubs are famous for needing maintenance very often specially if you run them on foul weather.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    I used Xmaxs on mi SS for a while with cero problems, Mavic freehubs are famous for needing maintenance very often specially if you run them on foul weather.
    Replace the Mavic freehub pawls and springs, they come in a little parts kit with extra springs. Need to clean and use a lightweight lube on reassembly. Will fix your problem. Very familiar with these parts, the Maxic CrossMax freehub body rarely wears out, usually only replaced because of bearing wear, the freehub pawls will wear though and lose their sharp edge and be more prone to slip in that freehub body. I service my Mavic (CrossMax, DeeMax, SpeedCity) freehubs what seems like about every three-four months on the bikes I ride a lot. Will help.

Nothing wrong with using that Mavic wheel on a SS with spacers and a cog that doesn't tear into your freehub splines.

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Tribe Member
    I have been using a "old" set of original crossmax's as SS wheels all year. It takes less than 10 minutes to take off the free hub and lube the springs and pawls with mineral oil and put back together. you dont even have to take the cassette off the hub to work on them. Mine have held up well, but again they are almost 10 years old at this point.

Good luck and just ride them

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Replace the Mavic freehub pawls and springs, they come in a little parts kit with extra springs. Need to clean and use a lightweight lube on reassembly. Will fix your problem. Very familiar with these parts, the Maxic CrossMax freehub body rarely wears out, usually only replaced because of bearing wear, the freehub pawls will wear though and lose their sharp edge and be more prone to slip in that freehub body. I service my Mavic (CrossMax, DeeMax, SpeedCity) freehubs what seems like about every three-four months on the bikes I ride a lot. Will help.

Nothing wrong with using that Mavic wheel on a SS with spacers and a cog that doesn't tear into your freehub splines.

Cheers,

Dave
    Any info on finding a service manual or instructions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

very well explained web site

but it is in french .....like mavic wheels ;-)

http://tandems.free.fr/mountain/bric.../Crossmax.html

maybe this help

Bonne chance mec!

Members who have read this thread: 0