can anyone measure the axle on a Shimano ss coaster hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

can anyone measure the axle on a Shimano ss coaster hub?

I'd appreciate it. I want to put a coaster brake hub on a mtb frame. I can't find any specs for the Shimano hub on the web, although it looks like the axle may be 165mm. If so, that's enough room to space it for my frame.

So... can anyone measure one (or any other brand, for that matter) and let me know?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Which model are you referring to? Are you looking for the over locknut dimension? Shimano's webpage has a lot of information such as that. I recently adapted a three-speed Nexus hub with a coaster brake to a mtb frame that I made a while ago:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...-3.-type-.html

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm looking for the single speed coaster brake hub. I haven't been able to find a Shimano model number or other detailed info for it.

Like this one: http://harriscyclery.net/product/shi...b-36h-2499.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Harris page you sent to me says:

Stock spacing is 120mm. Can be narrowed to 117mm by swapping axle nuts around.

The Nexus hub I installed on a mtb frame was also 120mm and had to have a bunch of spacers added to it for the 135mm dropout spacing.

You could call or email Harris for more details. They are good guys. I worked with them for years when I lived in MA.

Hope that helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0