Can a 100MM fork work on an 80MM frame?- Mtbr.com
    Pivoteer

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Can a 100MM fork work on an 80MM frame?

My frame was built around a 80mm fork, but I am thinking of putting a Fox F100X on it. Seems that the inertia valve would make 100mm sensable, but what about handling? Will it be slower? A lot slower? Should I stay with a F80X?

Out spokin'

Absofreakinlootly

It doesn't always work well, but it sure can. I have an '01 Sugar 1 (now called "Sugar Team") with a 100mm fork on it and it handles great.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    My frame was built around a 80mm fork, but I am thinking of putting a Fox F100X on it. Seems that the inertia valve would make 100mm sensable, but what about handling? Will it be slower? A lot slower? Should I stay with a F80X?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

SS Chimp
    i have a dean ss set for 80mm and run a talas. i am glad to have the adjustable travel as climbing performance with the fork raked out sucks but it is very dependent on your setup. thinking about a F80X for races and the talas for everyday. descending with the fork at 125mm is unbeatable

The man who fell to earth

I have a Bianchi DISS...

...which has pretty standard Norba-like geometry with its rigid fork. I put a 100mm RS Duke on it and actually thought it improved the handling (descending particularly).

Unless your frame is some exotic or strange design, and you plan on riding some fairly rugged terrain (especially descents), then I would think that 100mm Fox would be awesome.

uncompliant
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    It doesn't always work well, but it sure can. I have an '01 Sugar 1 (now called "Sugar Team") with a 100mm fork on it and it handles great.

--Sparty
    I'll second that - it depends on what sort of handling you want out of the bike and how much scope you've got for bodging things around to ompensate if you need to. I ran Z4s in 100mm setting on my '00 Attitude for quite a while and they were great fun. Fantastic going down and just-about-dealable-with going up - steering a bit floppy and front a bit light, but OK.

But I missed the sharp handling (I was used to rigid) so changed them to 80mm - almost as fun going down and more fun everywhere else.

All that said that bike (gearie) never gets ridden anyway ;-)

One gear to rule them all
    I hated the way my bike handled and climbed with 100mm of travel on a frame made for 80mm. The climbing was the worst. I changed my Fox float to 80mm and life is good.

mtbr member
    I also designed my ride around an 80mm fork but I found that for different kinds of riding I needed more travel. I now have three forks that I swap out on the bike for different kinds of riding; 80mm for race day, 90mm for all around riding and an adjustable fork (80/100mm with lockout) for big hit days, fast technical downhills and steep climbs.

I can tell the difference between the forks but not so much that it bothers me in anyway. So, FWIW, my bike handles the best with an 80mm fork but it still handles and climbs well if I run it with 100mm of travel.

Also, make sure that the Fox will fit your bike. I could not run the Fox on my bike because the top adjustment knobs hit the downtube (note that my bike frame is small ~14.5").
    TD

mtbr member
    I used a 100mm fork on my SS for over a year. I had a love hate relationship with it. On downhills I loved it, but when trying to cut tight corners like switchbacks I would hate it. Simply put, the change in geometry was enough for me to FINALLY decide to revert back to an 80mm fork, which is why I am waiting for Mr. UPS man to bring me my new Fox F80RLT :-)

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

ali'i hua
    both my TituSS and Dean Duke were designed for 80mm travel forks, and Im running 100mm forks on both with zero issues. its the 29er with the 80mm fork that feels a little odd.

highly reccomended, actually!