Campagnolo Road Conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Campagnolo Road Conversion

Interested in converting an old Campy road bike to a SS for commuting purposes. Anyone know of a rear SS cog that will work with a Campy hub? Research thus far has lead me nowhere.

brother on a mission
    You can split apart a campy cassette and use the geared cog especially if it is a larger tooth count cog. If you are worried about it derailling just sandwich the drive cog between two spacers and two larger cogs like this:
    Larger cog (23 tooth): spacer: Drive cog (19 tooth): spacer: larger cog (23 tooth). The numbers I included do not mean much. Experimentation is your friend. If this is too dirtbag a solution for you you can always purchase some discos
    http://www.offcamber.com/Product_Reviews/Discos.html
    http://www.offcamber.com/discos.html.

I am not sure if they are still selling them, but they are what gave me the idea of using a cog as a chaingaurd.

As an alternative, you could ask Boone to do a one of titanium cog for you: http://www.boonerings.com/cr/orderformchainring.html

Thes guys might be receptive to doing an unramped cog. They already sell individual titanium campy compatible cogs:
    http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/

A couple of years ago the cycle-dynamics guys responded to an e-mail I sent them fairly quickly.

Action Tech may be another group to check out.
    http://www.actiontec.us/ticog.htm

Good luck to you, and post your results.

Cheers,

GF

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Greenfix, some great sites there that I wasn't able to find on my own. I may experiment with the existing cogs but assumed I would need to get something more "SS" specific. The bike does have horizontal dropouts so I'm thinking it will be a pretty easy conversion. Appreciate the advice.

Retro Grouch

Try Boone..

Quote Originally Posted by scout
    Interested in converting an old Campy road bike to a SS for commuting purposes. Anyone know of a rear SS cog that will work with a Campy hub? Research thus far has lead me nowhere.

http://www.boonerings.com/cr/orderformchainring.html

Perhaps a little pricey, but it is a one-of-a-kind conversion.

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    How old a bike is it? It might have a freewheel if it is an older bike.
    My road singlespeed has a Daytona (newer) rear hub, so I just took apart the cassette (they just stack together), chose my cog, and centered it with spacers so the chain line was straight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    How old a bike is it? It might have a freewheel if it is an older bike.
    My road singlespeed has a Daytona (newer) rear hub, so I just took apart the cassette (they just stack together), chose my cog, and centered it with spacers so the chain line was straight.
    If it is older CB2 is probably right about the freewheel instead of a cassette. Depending on the threading (English?) you can just screw on a BMX freewheel and redish/respace the wheel for the proper chainline after you remove the freewheel of course. What brand of frame is it? Just curious

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Campy frame as well, I will post a pic or two in progress. Thanks for all the advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

The beginnings of my first SS

Commuter. Found a BMX cog that works, still trying to figure out the right ratio. Adding moustache handlebars thusfar with more mods to come I'm sure. Fun stuff, learning a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike Dork
    Uh, just FYI Campagnolo never made frames. Campy did however make front and rear dropouts, BB cable guides, and DT shifter bosses. Your bike as it says on the DT is an Alata which is an Italian company with a very long history. The big thing to remember about converting this frame is that the BB is Italian threaded, and thus will make it a bit of a pain to adjust the chainline at the BB. I'd recommend Phil Wood lockrings meshed with a Phil Wood BB or old Shimano UN-7x BB if you need to adjust the chainline up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    The big thing to remember about converting this frame is that the BB is Italian threaded, and thus will make it a bit of a pain to adjust the chainline at the BB. I'd recommend Phil Wood lockrings meshed with a Phil Wood BB or old Shimano UN-7x BB if you need to adjust the chainline up front.
    How about chainring or BB spacers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My bad, shows how much I know about road bikes. I was wondering why my LBS gave me a weird look last night when I said Campy frame. Thanks for the heads up, I've got someone assisting me with the conversion (I'm here to learn on this one) so I hope it works out OK.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    ...Alata...

ATALA

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    How about chainring or BB spacers?
    From the pic it looks like a Shimano Sante crank (though it could just be flash reaction with the crank) from the late-80s. If it's painted white then it most likely is, which would mean a standard 130 mm BCD rings and the chainring bolts can be used two chainrings or one chainring and spacers. Or you can grind down the female part of the bolts and use them without spacers.

Doh, and sorry roadiegonebad for the misspelling of Atala it was a dyslectic moment.
    best,
    monkeyB
    Last edited by themanmonkey; 03-01-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0