Campagnolo 144 mm BCD 5 arms chainring- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Campagnolo 144 mm BCD 5 arms chainring

I bought a NOS Campagnolo record track crankset with a 1/8" 49T chainring to be used with my single speed.

Questions:

1. What is the chainline?

2. I would prefer a 3/32" drive train, can I ask a machine shop to turn the existing 1/8" chainring into a 3/32"? what special precautions, if any, should I take during turning?

3. Where can I buy 144 mm BCD 5 arms 3/32" chainring in smaller sizes? Any aftermarket manufacturers?

4. Failing which I am considering buying the FSA track chainring and drill 5 144 mm BCD holes, has anyone done that? Is there a good method to ensure good accuracy to avoid off-center since I have little access to complex machineries.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wensiaw@pacific.net.sg
    I bought a NOS Campagnolo record track crankset with a 1/8" 49T chainring to be used with my single speed.

Questions:

track is pretty commonly 42.5mm (120mm rear)

3. Where can I buy 144 mm BCD 5 arms 3/32" chainring in smaller sizes? Any aftermarket manufacturers?
    they definitely make them, but actual track stuff isn't cheap since there's less demand. (http://www.businesscycles.com/trcomp.htm#chainrings)

4. Failing which I am considering buying the FSA track chainring and drill 5 144 mm BCD holes, has anyone done that? Is there a good method to ensure good accuracy to avoid off-center since I have little access to complex machineries.
    hmmm... i think the trick is finding an original ring that has enough material to drill.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Questions:

2. I would prefer a 3/32" drive train, can I ask a machine shop to turn the existing 1/8" chainring into a 3/32"? what special precautions, if any, should I take during turning?

Thanks.
    1. Use the spindle length you need to get the ring to line up with your cog. The latter will vary with the frame/hub..

2. Just use a nice 1/8" chain. They work fine with 3/32 cogs. I like the Wippermann Whitestar (108?).

3. Salsa (and FSA) offers track rings. Looks like 47t is as small as they go.

4. Why would you need to drill out the FSA 144 BCD rings to fit your Campy 144 BCD crank?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Retro Grouch

Questions:

Thanks.
    Sheldon Brown is selling 42T for $89.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/144.html

There also a 41 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPAGNOLO-144-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Retro Grouch

Otoh..

Do you really want to use this Vintage Campy crank for your SS project? If your taking this thing off road, it may not hold up as well as a more contemporary crank. Also, if you do use this crank, at some point you will need to replace the chainring again. By that time it will probably be much harder to find and will be more expensive. Unless you are really big on vintage parts like yours truly, you could probably get a good prive for it on Ebay and use the money to buy something more up to the job..

Brad

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Do you really want to use this Vintage Campy crank for your SS project? If your taking this thing off road, it may not hold up as well as a more contemporary crank.
    nevermind the crank, 'nice' square taper bottom brackets are getting a little harder to find. if you don't care about the taper you can use the cheaper shimano ones, but other than that there is phil wood and actual track ones (which usually aren't sealed in any way because trackies don't want the drag :-).

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by neutered
    nevermind the crank, 'nice' square taper bottom brackets are getting a little harder to find. if you don't care about the taper you can use the cheaper shimano ones, but other than that there is phil wood and actual track ones (which usually aren't sealed in any way because trackies don't want the drag :-).
    And while we're on the subject of BB, remember than Campy uses the ISO standard, which is different than Shimano's JIS. They usually can play together, but they are not the same and conflicts do arise. To be safe he would need to stay with ISO which would limit him further.

Brad

Retro Grouch

Questions:

Thanks.
    Hey I found some Salsa 42T rings on Speedgoat; $20 if your interested.

Brad

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thank you all!

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005

Campy

111mm BB=42.5mm chainline for your Campy

http://www.businesscycles.com/tr-refspec.htm#chainline
    PROFESSIONAL THREAD KILLER!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maybe I will just start hanging out in the "Recycle Bin" forum.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Hey I found some Salsa 42T rings on Speedgoat; $20 if your interested.

Brad
    Never mind, it was an old listing. Although they said they were in stock, the reality is Salsa probably haven't made these for years. Damn, they got me again

But, I did find some more here @ Loose Screws for $37-38.

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=359235422430

Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 08-11-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Look at the time!
    if this thing goes on a track frame, and you want the 42.5mm chainline, the campagnolo centaur BB (111mm ISO) is the one to get.

However, if you want to mount the crank on an average road frame, things are going to be tight since the crank is really, really narrow ("Q-factor" is about 130mm). It might hit the chainstays and you'll need a longer BB, which is hard to find with ISO tapers.

Don't even think of mounting this on a mtb frame, no way.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Members who have read this thread: 1