Came across this old frame.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Came across this old frame.....

Is it worth building or is it a waste of time?

Its a DBR wcf 6.0. Carbon fiber frame wrapped over steel lugs. I was originally going to build a cheap SS to try the whole SS thing. However, i found a nice Klein for cheap already converted and i tried out the SS stuff. Nneedless to say i am converted and want to know should i build this Diamondback frame or just start over fresh with a SS specific designed frame? I think its a '95-'97 model and while its in sweet shape i am thinking the geometry might be too dated compared to the newer SS specific stuff?

Thanks

PS the Klein is cool but its for sale

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    no comments or feelings? none?

AZ
    banned
    No pics ?

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by motostyle
    Is it worth building or is it a waste of time?

Its a DBR wcf 6.0. Carbon fiber frame wrapped over steel lugs. I was originally going to build a cheap SS to try the whole SS thing. However, i found a nice Klein for cheap already converted and i tried out the SS stuff. Nneedless to say i am converted and want to know should i build this Diamondback frame or just start over fresh with a SS specific designed frame? I think its a '95-'97 model and while its in sweet shape i am thinking the geometry might be too dated compared to the newer SS specific stuff?

Thanks

PS the Klein is cool but its for sale
    Pretty much any bike is SS fodder. Not sure why you would trade a Klein for a DB, but that's your decision.Is there something specific your looking for?
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I thought the DBR, by its nature, would be a more sought after frame (being carbon and steel) and more importantly a more forgiving ride. A more well rounded ride. The Klein is light and stiff as feck but its beating me to death. I am not a fan of aluminum since I have never found one that doesnt feel too unforgiving in ride quality.

I know any bike can be SS'ed but wasnt sure if maybe someone out their with more knowledge than me might share some insight. I would like to build the frame but am mainly wondering if I am going to be throwing money at a "dinosaur" or a turd?

The frame has been very lightly used (i doubt if its been used in the last 8 years) but its still 15years old. DIdnt know if I should be contemplating a newer frame design that is more SS specific?

I see so many Vassagos, Surlys, and Redlines...just wondering if I am wasting my time by building a frame that was originally designed for gears and in another era?

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    I thought the DBR, by its nature, would be a more sought after frame (being carbon and steel) and more importantly a more forgiving ride. A more well rounded ride. The Klein is light and stiff as feck but its beating me to death. I am not a fan of aluminum since I have never found one that doesnt feel too unforgiving in ride quality.

I know any bike can be SS'ed but wasnt sure if maybe someone out their with more knowledge than me might share some insight. I would like to build the frame but am mainly wondering if I am going to be throwing money at a "dinosaur" or a turd?

The frame has been very lightly used (i doubt if its been used in the last 8 years) but its still 15years old. DIdnt know if I should be contemplating a newer frame design that is more SS specific?

I see so many Vassagos, Surlys, and Redlines...just wondering if I am wasting my time by building a frame that was originally designed for gears and in another era?
    Depends on your budget, riding/terrain goals, etc.....more info would help. How much would it cost realistically to fix up the old bike versus buy a new or used that is already SS specific?
    Get off the couch and ride!

Gigantic Hawk

Do you want 26" or 29" wheels? Old frames are cool, I still have and ride my old Bianchi, but determine what you really want to ride (wheel size, type of brakes, geometry) before you start dropping cash.

Retro Grouch

The frame has been very lightly used (i doubt if its been used in the last 8 years) but its still 15years old. Didnt know if I should be contemplating a newer frame design that is more SS specific?

SS specific bikes are designed for chain tensioning. but otherwise they are no different from other bikes. Indeed some of the older race bikes have what was known as NORBA geometry, but that doesn't disregard them as a SS; the most obvious example are Bontragers and they are coveted for SS. So knock yourself out with your DBR.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well....I through a leg over a Redline monocog 19er flight the other night and gotta say I was intrigued. I thought the 29 was hype....but then I thought SS was hype and i believe I am eating humble pie right now.

Mechanical discs are my only requirement....wondering if a budget of 500 smackers would be enough to keep me in the Kleins current weight of 21lbs. I think I will have to hit ebay as my local Craigslist is kind of dry of good parts and such. Wheel suggestions? I was going to do a rigid fork to keep cost and weight down. Hopefully carbon unless there is a steel fork that rides as nice. Wheel suggestions? Cranks?

PS....Probably will look for a Monocog used 29er and build this as a 26SS...maybe a 69er?

Ovaries on the Outside
    I wouldn't imagine that you would need mechanical disc brakes in TN. I guess it depends on your skill, but rims brakes will do you well in most areas.

If the Klein is owning you, get another bike. Not sure if your experience will be better or not. I like old bikes converted to SS. They get the job done and ride well. If you don't know what sort of geometry you prefer, or what wheelsize, I'd hold onto your cash, roll the Diamondback for a bit, play around with fork length and then try and borrow or rent a 29er.

kid on a bike
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I wouldn't imagine that you would need mechanical disc brakes in TN. I guess it depends on your skill, but rims brakes will do you well in most areas.
    depends where you are in TN... in the west part it's all flat and rim brakes are fine, in the east part it's all hilly/mountainous and discs might be a good thing to have...

Members who have read this thread: 0