Calling Vassago SS riders...Bent both dropout screws somehow.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Calling Vassago SS riders...Bent both dropout screws somehow.

Looking for replacement options, Vassago website shows the jabbernutz out of stock? Not sure how the heck it happened. I generally set the length right, then tighten the rear QR, then tighten screws/washers a bit more to keep them from backing out. This method has worked fine on my Kona Unit even without the washers for years. Head to the hardware store to see if I can get the same size a thread pitch? Would almost rather have wing nuts on the screw instead of the washer system Vassago uses?

edited to add: this is on a Fisticuff with rear facing horizontal drops, not the Jabberwocky sliding style vertical dropout.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had the same thing happen a long time ago. I replaced them with stainless hex (not allen) screws from the hardware store, which give me enough grip to turn them by hand on the trail without a separate tool. Zero problems over the last 8+ years. Caveat: I have a Hope Pro rear hub with axle bolts vice a QR, which keeps the axle from moving and bending the little screws.

HTH

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a feeling the QR is the culprit as I just switched from a bolt on rear to a new Chris King wheelset with a Salsa Ti QR. The wheelset is a vast improvement overall but am not a big fan of the QR rear. Anybody know a way to switch CK rear road hubs to bolt on? Will fun bolts work?

mtbr member
    On the old Jabbers, you need to use Shimano skewer. The clamping force is much higher. They are ugly but they work the best.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just bought new hardware for my optimus ti sliders from paragonmachineworks.com
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    I have a feeling the QR is the culprit as I just switched from a bolt on rear to a new Chris King wheelset with a Salsa Ti QR. The wheelset is a vast improvement overall but am not a big fan of the QR rear.
    Bolt on definitely holds better.

New bolts of all types, great place to order from: www.mcmaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    On the old Jabbers, you need to use Shimano skewer. The clamping force is much higher. They are ugly but they work the best.
    Yes more clamping force than other types, but enough?
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Bolt on definitely holds better.

New bolts of all types, great place to order from: www.mcmaster.com

Yes more clamping force than other types, but enough?
    I think I've got it sorted out with some new hardware from the store...Running Hex head bolts backwards so the head is against the wheel axle. Used the Vassago nut with the set screw on the other end so I can turn the bolt by hand and running the other round Vassago nut against the frame to hold it tight. It stood up to some really harsh cx riding this past weekend so hopefully it will last. Unfortunately Chris King does not make fun bolts for the road rear hubs, but they are light as hell and spin for days so I'm just going to put up with it for now.