Calling all off road fixers-please help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Calling all off road fixers-please help

I have been riding fixed for the last 2 months on a ENOized Rocky Blizzard and I am loving it. I have a line on a 29er SS frame that a custom builder built that is my size and will work well with a midge bar (high front end & shorter top tube). He will build me a custom fork to match. I run a lone Hayes hydro on the Blizz right now and it seems to work good but I wonder if a V-brakes would be good enough? There is not a lot of mud where I ride, sand the summer and snow in the winter. Discs or V's? I have an existing road wheelset for road rides and get another wheelset for mountain biking but the disc has good modulation when things start to get out of hand. Also is there any disadvantage to a 29er off road fixie over a 26"? I only ask beacuse I have never ridden a 29er but I can see the benifits to bigger wheels. Thanks for any input.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Higbee
    There is not a lot of mud where I ride, sand the summer and snow in the winter. Discs or V's?
    Discs. Less hand effort, and noticeably less affected by snow/ice than Vs.

Quote Originally Posted by Higbee
    Also is there any disadvantage to a 29er off road fixie over a 26"?
    IMHO, no.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

BB height benefitial

Having larger wheels will give you better BB clearance...a plus when cornering the tight stuff....Fixedoffroad is totally a focused ride....ya gotta love it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Disc, especially if you run Midges. Get some Dia-compe 287-V lever(s) and you are set. On long, technical descents, a front disc is crucial, at least for me. Saves the knees for the rest of the ride. Also, one finger activation. Although I rarely use it, it's nice to have a finger on there just in case.
    -Dom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the input

I think I willl go the disc route. Maybe Avid Road discs and then just run a canti in the back if I feel the need for freewheeling. On another note Dom, I love your Vulture. Do you have any toe overlap issues with the frame? Could you tell me the geometry numbers? I only ask because the 29er frame I am interested in has a 22" TT(effective) with a 72.5 H.A. and is designed for a KM fork and I am worried that I might run into overlap issues.

mtbr member

Good job!

I run nothing but good ol centerpulls with no problems other than snow & ice but thats where the fixed wheel does its job.

King Pin

Good job! Yep

That twenty eight inch disc out back works wonders when the front gives out, eh?!

Hey Dan.....momma's Retrotec arrived today!

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    I run nothing but good ol centerpulls with no problems other than snow & ice but thats where the fixed wheel does its job.

mtbr member
    i dont even want to see it !that kind of pressure just isnt fair.no really i cant wait to see it.all last winter i road the fixie in snow & mud and really never even used the brakes.im back full fixed again took my month off after the whiskey 50 im up to 4 fixies in the herd
    have a new commuter fixie ill post this weekend .congrats on the retro tech.

King Pin

Smile Breathe

Calm. Relax.

I'm currently on three fixies and one SS. Thank goodness we live in such a flat area.

Working on Ed re: fixed. Not going too well thus far! He's lovin' his SS Monkey too much....I rode it today, gotta have me one of those soon! We're a sick bunch up here.

Also working with Brant for some On-One stuff. Hotcakes in Preskit with Ed as a salesman.

Needin' a road trip soon.

i dont even want to see it !that kind of pressure just isnt fair.no really i cant wait to see it.all last winter i road the fixie in snow & mud and really never even used the brakes.im back full fixed again took my month off after the whiskey 50 im up to 4 fixies in the herd
    have a new commuter fixie ill post this weekend .congrats on the retro tech.
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 09-09-2005 at 04:25 PM.

King Pin

Smile 305?

Dan,

I've lived up here for three quarters of my life, and still don't know ANY of the trail numbers.....we just name 'em.

Izz that behind Costco?

flat? wheres the flat parts ? i commute 80-100 miles a week all up & down.how about 305 in the morning?

mtbr member
    flat? wheres the flat parts ? i commute 80-100 miles a week all up & down.how about 305 in the morning?

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gike
    Having larger wheels will give you better BB clearance...a plus when cornering the tight stuff....Fixedoffroad is totally a focused ride....ya gotta love it!
    The bottom bracket height on a 29"er is typically the same as a 26" bike.

But he should still buy the 29"er:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Get the mountain mechs, not road

Higbee,
    Not sure about the dimensions, I don't have any toe overlap and I know the fork is shorter than the KM. I'll hit up Wade for the digits.
    You may want to stick with the mountain version of the Avid mechs. I'm not positive, but I think the newest road version is the BB5, not the BB7.
    http://www.sram.com/en/avid/discbrak...earingroad.php

You would have to run the Dia-Compe 287Vs with your drop bars. Good luck.
    -Dom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the advice about the discs and looking into your vutlture's numbers for me.