Are cabon bars to flexy for a SS use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Are cabon bars to flexy for a SS use?

I'm Looking at ways to reduce my SS weight and was toying with the idea of fitting a carbon riser bar but I've got this gut feeling that it may be to flexable...Has any body had experience with carbon riser bars on their single speed?

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzat3
    I'm Looking at ways to reduce my SS weight and was toying with the idea of fitting a carbon riser bar but I've got this gut feeling that it may be to flexable...Has any body had experience with carbon riser bars on their single speed?

Pretty much thats all I have used on my bikes for years and never an issue. Reason I switched out was not for weight, but my hands would go numb after a few hours in the saddle. The carbon dampened the vibration just right soI dont have to worry about it.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Carbon bar on my rigid SS and I've never noticed any flex.

Truvativ Noir WC, lo-rise.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Both my SS bikes (1 ti rigid, 1 steel hardtail) have carbon riser bars. I don't find them flexy enough to be noticeable.

Good weight reduction with a much wider grip. ++ for me.

JMJ

mtbr member
    I'm using Easton MonkeyLite bars (25.4mm) and I've never noticed anything that you'd call flex.

mtbr member
    I use syncros bulk carbon and they are very stiff but great dampening qualities

mtbr member
    I use the Performance Forte bar on a rigid bike with no issues.

banned
    syntace vector lowrise with 12degree sweep, 680mm width. Excellent very stiff bars.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    think you got your answer already, but yea, i know some big stong dudes riding carbon bars on their SS's and no problems.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    think you got your answer already, but yea, i know some big stong dudes riding carbon bars on their SS's and no problems.
    I can pull like this, but for some reason I just can't flex my carbon bars. Don't worry OP, they're plenty strong and don't flex even if you yank on 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Just had a convo with an Easton rep this week about this very topic. Apparently they test the carbon bars with even heavier weights than their aluminum for flex and it also requires more weight to break the carbon versus aluminum.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    But what about the companies out there making the alloy/carbon mix. Seem to be cheaper, but isnt it still aluminum at the end of the day?

Carbon Cycles is one example, "MatriX is the manufacture process for melding aluminum or alloy with carbon fiber. It allows our components to take advantage of the strengths of both materials. Carbon fiber is light and strong and alloy is heavy but flexible, so in matriX we get the best of both material's properties, at $65."

Just wondering.

Members who have read this thread: 0