Buying advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Buying advice

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Buying advice

Hello everyone,

I have been riding bikes my whole life, but as of about 2008 switched to bike as my main form of transportation through rain or shine (or snow). In December of 2010 I converted my mountain bike (an old Raleigh M-20, fully rigid) into a single speed for ease of maintenance through winter riding with all of the salt and water that gets into everything. Then as of spring of 2011 I decided to start taking this bike out onto the trails and have gotten severely into mountain biking. So I started off riding on fully rigid single speed, and absolutely love it. Now as my bike is getting old and rickety, I'm considering purchasing a new bike for the upcoming spring season. If you guys/gals could give me any guidance on purchasing a new single speed with preferably front suspension, or even rigid, but direct me to some affordable suspension forks that I could swap in, I would be greatly appreciative. My budget is between $600-$1500 USD. Obviously, lower price would be better assuming that quality is not being sacrificed. Thanks in advance for any wisdom that can be shed upon me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Oh! I almost forgot.

As far as 26 vs 29er goes, I'm open to all suggestions. I'm just trying to get a good feel for all my options available. I haven't ever bought a mountain bike for the purposes of taking it on trails before. If it helps, I'm also a fairly aggressive/rough rider if it makes any difference in advice based on the strength of the frame/ forks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No one has any buying experience that could help me out?

The need for singlespeed
    Your question is pretty broad; its been covered here ad nauseum. Do some research using the search function. When you have things narrowed down, ask away.

mtbr member
    I don't feel qualified enough to suggest any bikes..I will say this,I don't think you really need a sus fork up front
    just get a big tire for the front.I just put a 2.4 Racing Ralph on mine and it made a big difference!

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    If you have a local bike shop, go talk to them. Develop a relationship with them. They should be able to help you figure out what your looking for better than a bunch of yahoos online. They might even have some bikes you can try before you buy, which will also tell you more about how you feel about a particular bike than anyone here.

Once you've narrowed your search a bit, the (generally) friendly people around here never seem to run out of opinions. Take em with a grain if salt though. I ride a rigid 69er fixed gear with alt bars. More "normal" riders seem to think I'm bonkers.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    I'll throw out a few that look interesting to me:

Low price: Motobecane Outcast 29 from BikesDirect.com

Trek (Gary Fisher Collection) Rig

Cannondale Trail SL 29'er 3R

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ah excellent, even this bit of advice that was given to me was better than where I was at previously. I know very little about purchasing bikes, as I am riding my same bike from 10-15 years ago. I am riding on it way rougher than I used to, and can tell it is coming on a final push. I will definitely go talk to my LBS, I'm already pretty friendly and a recognized face for sure there. I just figured that since fewer people ride single speed, it would be best to ask the wealth of people(online) who know best about that subject first hand.

@Houndog, no suspension eh? When I ride with people now, through the flat and uphill sections I crush, but when it comes to downhill, their suspension just lets them float through the rock gardens and fat root sections. I understand riding without it will ultimately make you a better rider, which is why I've had no problem, and in fact take a lot of pride in riding my junker. However, once I purchase this bike, I plan to be riding it for a long while, and front suspension just seems like a smart idea for the future of my riding.

@BeginnerCycling, thanks for those bikes, I'll check them out and see what they are all about.

Anyone have any opinion on the Trek (Gary Fisher Collection) Marlin SS? In regards to this bike, I heard that the sliding drop outs were pretty cheap and didn't lock well. Is there an alternative way to "bolt" the rear wheel into the dropouts so I don't have to rely on the sliding dropouts, or could those be replaced...somehow?

And finally, would it be smart to not limit my search for single speed, and just look for a bike I like, then once I get it take off all the pretty new derailleurs, cassette, and chain rings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesbrt View Post
    @BeginnerCycling, thanks for those bikes, I'll check them out and see what they are all about.

Anyone have any opinion on the Trek (Gary Fisher Collection) Marlin SS? In regards to this bike, I heard that the sliding drop outs were pretty cheap and didn't lock well. Is there an alternative way to "bolt" the rear wheel into the dropouts so I don't have to rely on the sliding dropouts, or could those be replaced...somehow?
    Glad to help! I've looked at the Marlin a bit, and while I haven't heard of the dropout issue, I've heard that the Suntour suspension fork is not that good. Versus the Marlin, I think you'd be better off with the Motobecane I mentioned (with RockShox fork) at roughly the same price.

mtbr member
    Oh, BTW, if you're thinking of buying a geared bike and converting it, you might check out this article for your price range:

Best Mountain Bikes Under $1,000 - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I love/hate the fisher g2 setup. One, it feels great. Two, when wanting to upgrade, it's tough to find gear to stay with G2 geometry.

I second the moto and you'd have some spending room to toss on upgrades where you wanted.

openwound
    Be sure to take a look at the singlespeed faq. There's a (somewhat outdated) list of ss manufacturers and other good info.

Two manufacturers who're not listed are Singular and Siren. Someone just posted pics of their new Siren, it's gorgeous. I ride a singular swift that I like a lot.
    -- let's ride