Buyers remorse already?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Buyers remorse already?

Somebody please make me feel better about this. Tell me my logic is correct.

I have been shopping for a new mtb for months and considering lots of variables including needing one bike to do it all, budget, my size (6'3"+), my test rides of other 29ers, etc settled on a Giant Anthem X3 29er. Seems like a great value and a bike that should match my local trails and riding style.

Here's the problem, Last week I converted my old Fat Chance to SS and the same day rode a Karate Monkey SS and had more fun on a bike than I have had in years. I should be all excited that I just ordered the AX3 but instead I'm thinking I might have just wasted a lot of money.

If I'm only going to have one bike it seems logical to get a FS geared 29er since I will be riding a huge variety of trails from my local Prescott, AZ trails to Flagstaff, Sedona, Crested Butte, etc. I like long rides and climbing too. My left brain says it is the right choice but the right side says SS 29er rigid.

I just didn't understand the whole SS thing until I tried it and now I keep searching Craigslist for SS 29ers. I think SS is worse than meth, one ride and I'm hooked.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Wait... you got a SS 29er and a squishy 29er? What's the problem again?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    once bitten by the SS bug, most people never go back. it never hurts to have a fallback bike though. think of it this way: you can ride the squishy geared bike when you're feeling especially lazy.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No the Fat Chance is a mid 80's 26er. Serviceable but not what I'm looking for in the long term. The Karate Monkey was my friend's. The problem is I'm jonesin' for a 29er SS and just dumped a bunch cash on a FS 29er.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    can you cancel the order? maybe you can just return the AX3? maybe the shop will let you exchange for a SS 29er that they also sell.

worst case scenario, take the hit and try to sell the bike on Craigslist. you shouldn't lose too much money. you just have to put a (impossible) value on your self happiness.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    can you cancel the order? maybe you can just return the AX3? maybe the shop will let you exchange for a SS 29er that they also sell.

worst case scenario, take the hit and try to sell the bike on Craigslist. you shouldn't lose too much money. you just have to put a (impossible) value on your self happiness.
    ^This^

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    OR....

Rigid SS's pretty cheap in comparison to FS... just buy a SS ont he cheap from craigslist or something, and call it good!

surly inbred
    Wait... didn't you just post up some dollars & sense questions the other day? I guess I missed the part where you had already pulled the trigger on the fs sled order.

WNC Native
    If your not positive that you want the FS sled, I'd see if I can cancel the order or exchange it. You can build a nice rigid/SS/29er for a lot less.

On the flip side though. If you think you can afford it, get both.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Apr 2007
    I agree with two bikes > one bike.

beware the grammar police
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20

this is the best plan i have had....

i have a very expensive squishy bike that has not moved since the 29er came to the house.....it is now disassembled and in a corner...
    owner and founder of www.moto-rush.com motorcycling community

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I agree with two bikes > one bike.
    Oh hell yes.

Before you put the plastic back in your wallet, snag yourself a rigid SS and you're good. It's like having two wives. No wait... like having two girlfriends.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Low Rep Count
    ^^Yes! Two wives would be very bad! Girlfriends on the other hand or "Hook UPs" would be best!

Seriously, having a geared fully suspended bike would be awesome and this is coming from someone that only has a SS 29er (actually I have a SS 26er as well but am in the process of trying to sell that as we speak). Having the option is great but if money is tight, I would definitely consider trying to cancel the order and just building up a nice SS 29er. Figure out what/where you can/can't ride and then make a decsion on whether or not you need that extra girlfriend. Just keep in mind that all women cost money in one way or another.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks guys. At least a few of you agree that even though you ride SS having a geared bike is worthwhile. One of the reasons I decided to pull the trigger on the Anthem is because most of the people I ride with will be on geared bikes. That and it is more versatile than a SS.

Long term I'm thinking along the lines of the two girlfriends but don't tell my wife. The expensive high maintenance one and the cheap fun one. Looks like I will have the trophy girlfriend by Friday and will be on the hunt for the cheap one on craigs. I hope the fancy one will still get some work after I find a SS.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by st-rider
    I hope the fancy one will still get some work after I find a SS.
    you're very hopeful

Don't count on it. Cheap and fun always beats high maintenance and fancy. Always.

That being said my SS 26" was definitely not cheap. Stupid "brand name" parts being all expensive. Still has to have been cheaper than some gears.

1SPD: What bike are you trying to sell? Where are you located? I am moving to Denver next month and don't really need to be purchasing a new bike but it never hurts to look into another....... you know, just in case.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by st-rider
    Thanks guys. At least a few of you agree that even though you ride SS having a geared bike is worthwhile. One of the reasons I decided to pull the trigger on the Anthem is because most of the people I ride with will be on geared bikes. That and it is more versatile than a SS.

Long term I'm thinking along the lines of the two girlfriends but don't tell my wife. The expensive high maintenance one and the cheap fun one. Looks like I will have the trophy girlfriend by Friday and will be on the hunt for the cheap one on craigs. I hope the fancy one will still get some work after I find a SS.

This sounds like a plan. I'd go with this.

Some days and trails, especially when it's a little sloppy, I like the simple rigid ss vibe. When the ride involves significant climbing and some choppy/jumpy downhill, the fs 29 does the work.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie
    Don't count on it. Cheap and fun always beats high maintenance and fancy. Always.
    Very debatable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You will never be happy with the geared bike. Take it from me, I did the same thing. You will end up trying to ride your geared bike like a SS and end up being slower then you would have been on your SS.

What could go wrong ...
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    You will never be happy with the geared bike. Take it from me, I did the same thing. You will end up trying to ride your geared bike like a SS and end up being slower then you would have been on your SS.
    It was just the opposite for me ... been riding full rigid 2650b SS and it has made me faster when I get on my full squishy geared bike
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Like others have said: I love rigid SS, but it also helps me much better appreciate a suspension fork and gears.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ^^Yes! Two wives would be very bad! Girlfriends on the other hand or "Hook UPs" would be best!
    Sometimes I wonder why there are not a ton of women posters on this forum.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    It was just the opposite for me ... been riding full rigid 2650b SS and it has made me faster when I get on my full squishy geared bike

Same here. Since taking up ss, I pick lines better and flow with the bike so much better no matter which rig I'm on. Even climbing. My leg strength has advanced more than it would have riding only geared so I now stay in higher gears for the duration of the ride and pay more attention to momentum.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 05-10-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I found that I am used to a roughly 60rpm cadence or 115rpm. When on a geared bike I tend to use a bigger gear and expend more energy then needed.

SSOD
    Throw a Yess or Paul tensioner on the Anthem????? I recently ss my Motolite cause it wasn't getting ridden and turned out to be a fun experiment. Got tired of the squish and put my gears back on and am selling it now though.

Also agree with picking up a Monocog, Jabber, etc rigid ss off CL. You should be able to find a good deal on one used somewhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0