Buy or build?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Buy or build?

mtbr member

Buy or build?

I'm looking for an SS and I'm stuck between building an old 26er I have into a ss or buying a nashbar 29er SS. If I went that route I would eventually add a suspension fork to it.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy a bike unless you have tried it out. Geometry is differant on a 29er than your old 26". At 5'10", i find many 29ers to be a bit long for my liking. Could i adapt, yes. That wheelbase also seems more stable on downhill. Although, not as responsive in the slow technical stuff.

I do find that a 29er rolls better and will carries speed better than my 26" ride. I enjoy my SS as a rigid. Responsive, stable, and a touch lighter. You will need an easier gear on the 29er due to the bigger wheel. I believe its about 2 teeth. If you're a first time SSer, this won't matter since you are at the beginning of the learner curve. Enjoy the rollorcoaster. If you can handle the geometry of the 29er, i would say start there. Upgraditus will bite you sooner or later anyways.

All that said, i built my SS from a 26er frame and running it as a 9ber. Suspension corrected rigid fork with a 29er up front and a 650b in the rear (add 1 rear tooth compared to my 26"). I ended up with a stable ride with bigger wheels and a short wheelbase. Currently my favorite ride in the stable.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a large 2009 rush which is a looong bike. That shouldn't be to big of an issue.

I may try to make a ghetto SS out of my old ironhorse to see if I like it. It's already a 1x9.

If I purchased the nashbar bike and did not like it I could always make it a 1x9.
    Last edited by Sickmak90; 06-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Build it and they will come.
    Oh whatever.

Build the bike and you will enjoy it more. But in reality it isn't a build but an unbuild. Unbuilt my 26 into a ghetto SS, I did add a 29 up front though so it is a combo unbuild/build.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I struggled with the same decision recently. Decided to sell my 26er and bought the Nashbar on sale and upgrade it over time. It's a really fun bike and the advantage over building it is that you get to ride it 30 minutes after it arrives at your door. I haven't touched my geared bike since. I ride daily on some pretty good climbs and big descents and this bike handles it pretty well... though you need to change out the front tire for aggressive riding. You can build it up if you want, but you can still ride it and swap in new parts as you go. The frame is reasonably light and has some nice features. If you build one you'll spend a lot of time searching for the perfect pieces and not be riding.

My dos centavos...

mtbr member
    If you go ghetto most if the perfect pieces are on the bike.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    im planning on bilding mine, just more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i feel that building is better, because you get al that you want and you wont have to replace parts

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What kind of budget?

mtbr member
    I just built one a couple weeks ago. It was fun and I am pretty happy with the result. Not sure I'll ever buy another mountain bike again to be honest unless it's a really highend bike that has great parts from top to bottom. I like being in 100% control of how my bike turns out.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    build your 26 and if you like it build up a 29 with some of the 26 parts. My first 4 SS were all 26 frames with ghetto parts and they worked well. I think a 29 is the ultimate size for SS, but I am tall.
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

mtbr member
    I'm just going to turn the old ironhorse into a SS for now. I was going to make it rigid, but I might save for a decent fork Instead.

Members who have read this thread: 0