Which To Buy- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which To Buy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Which To Buy

So ive been thinking of getting a bike to replace my old hardrock pro disc. I think I might want to get a SS because it will save me some money and seem simpilar to upkeep. Plus it will force me to get in shape.

Anyway ive been torn between the singular swift or the missfit dissent. but lately ive been thinking i should just go to the LBS and getting a monocog flight 29er which is closer to my price range and then saving up and buying one of those frames later on. I guess the Karate monkey is in my price range as well. Decisions decisions. thanks for the help

erik

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610
    ...Anyway ive been torn between the singular swift or the missfit dissent. but lately ive been thinking i should just go to the LBS and getting a monocog flight 29er which is closer to my price range and then saving up and buying one of those frames later on. ...
    Redline....Flight or Monocog and actually ride it rather than spending more money on the other two mentioned. Ride before you buy is important to make sure it fits you well and you like the bike. Money saved will buy your helmet, gloves, camelbak, trail tools, etc.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thats what im thinking and maybe next year i can build up one of these other frames. i hate shopping for stuff. If the ss speed doesnt work out for me can i run the flight geared?

Feeling retro..but Jung
    how about the Raleigh..I am currently running mine 1X9..the monocog has trackends I guess from reading here they make a plug to make it work..the Raleigh has vertical dropout and der hangers are available...I am using a Done der and hubs to make mine geared then in the summer I just unbolt the der put my cog and other chain on and I'm good to go..some folks here don't like EBB's but I have yet to have a problem with slipping or noise...My opinion get the Raleigh if your not sure you'll like SS..

mtbr member
    for the monocog flight which the op was asking about can run gears. it has sliding dropouts. the drive side can be replaced with one with a derailier hanger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i hate looking for a new bike. everyday i feel like ive found the one and then i change my mind. i think im going to go crazy.

mtbr member
    go with the redline. its a good frame with a solid component spec for the price.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    i hate looking for a new bike. everyday i feel like ive found the one and then i change my mind. i think im going to go crazy.
    That's exactly how I was when I bought my first real mtb couple years ago....lol. Take your time, don't jump too fast and you'll get the right bike for you. Raleigh is nice too.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    go with the redline. its a good frame with a solid component spec for the price.
    Any thoughts on the Redline single speed road bikes??? Should I look for an older ten speed and convert it into a single speed to save money?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Buy the Redline, upgrade all the parts, then buy a Singular frameset, tranfer all your upgrade parts to it, and rebuild your Redline with all the stock parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Buy the Redline, upgrade all the parts, then buy a Singular frameset, tranfer all your upgrade parts to it, and rebuild your Redline with all the stock parts.
    IVE thought of doing this but i have a 9 month old and just found out my wife is pregnant again so. this will probably be my only bike for a while

Life is Go0d!
    How is a Singular an upgrade from a Flight?
    Last edited by mo0se; 12-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    IVE thought of doing this but i have a 9 month old and just found out my wife is pregnant again so. this will probably be my only bike for a while
    Oh just give it time and you'll have a nice parts bin before you know it

mtbr member
    You may wish to consider going straight for the Flight. While it is more money up front, you get the higher-quality steel frame, disc brakes, and the option to easily switch to a geared setup. This should give you a pretty versatile bike for years to come. If you find rigid a bit too harsh, you can find a suspension fork for relatively low cost.

I am not sure where you live, but it's probably worth calling all the LBS to see if they have any leftover Flights they would be willing to make a deal on.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    How is a Singular an upgrade from a Flight?
    Im not sure its really an upgrade. i think the two are very close. I was actually thinking of getting the flight of the singular and then maybe get the misfit dissent and i could switch the wheels between the two. ridding single speed really saves money on the build. i never realised that. If i like the ss i could make the flight or swift a 1x9 for commuting or when im ridding a longer ride. I also play rugby so some times my legs are fried and it would be nice to have a geared bike.

also I could have both bike i really like the swift and dissent so its a win win. You know if i buy the bike and wrap it up and say its from my son my wife cant get pissed right?

Members who have read this thread: 0