Butt Hurt for Trails- Mtbr.com
    Ovaries on the Outside

Butt Hurt for Trails

My parents decided to undertake a major home improvement operation this summer, which involves a lot of manual labor (because we're tearing down and building a new freaking fence), which they can't do. So this weekend, instead of riding mile after glorious mile of dry, perfect, Oregon singletrack, I'm helping them do their fence because they are too cheap to pay someone for it.

It is especially rough because I burnt last weekend doing some Relay for Life, so I'm seriously singletrack depraved.

Is there a card out there that sums up a mountain bikers feelings for the summer months? "Sorry, love to (fill in blank) but these four months of summer are what a live for, so **** off. Get back to me after it rains for a month."

Only with less cursing. My parents are conservative.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I feel your pain. It has been almost 3 weeks since I have gone mountain biking. Partially because I've had so much work, but also because I've made choices to do other things. Still been commuting and riding BMX with some friends. I need to do some trail riding soon though. Might take my monster/track/tarck/cx wonder bike out on some local fire roads tomorrow if time permits just to get a taste.

Low Rep Count
    I hear you bro! Haven't been out on a trail in over a week now. Partially, no definitely due to the family! I have missed 2 group rides in a row (weekly Thur night ride) due to family engagements (swim meet and then a trip to the beach that had me leaving on Thur afternoon). I took my SS mtb with me and dropped some slicks on it. Like a dork I forgot to change the gearing so I looked like I was in a hamster wheel trying to ride up the road. Rocking the 32/18 on the road with slicks is just stupid! I was spinning at 90 rpm with ease and going about 11-12 mph! But I was able to ride at least. Got in 1 hour one day and about 2 hours the next day. My @$$ was killing me. Funny, I ride alot but you quickly realize how much you actually stand up when in the woods vs just sitting there and pedaling like a mad man. It was still nice to just get out on a flat road but I definitely had the wrong vehicle.

Out spokin'
    I'm moving... could use your help.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Low Rep Count
    Off topic but I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that your comment reminds me of Sparty.

"Yes, it is my truck. No, I won't help you move!" Just made me laugh as I remember being asked at least 6 different times in the 2.5 years that I owned a little pick up truck to help people move.

I'm just messing with you
    Here's to hoping that when you need their help, your parents don't prioritize you lower than other things they'd rather be doing .
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Low Rep Count
    Its actually more like you paying them back for supporting you when you were growing up. Taking you to all the places you wanted to go. Supporting you in your sports and endevors. Its not that they are being cheap, it is more along the lines of why should we pay someone when we have a well bodied son that can do it for us and he owes us way more than that! (mentality)

I know where you are coming from though. Thank God my parents live in CO and I am out here in MD. Though I would gladly tear down their fence for the opportunity to be out there riding when I wasn't doing manual labor for them!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Off topic but I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that your comment reminds me of Sparty.

"Yes, it is my truck. No, I won't help you move!" Just made me laugh as I remember being asked at least 6 different times in the 2.5 years that I owned a little pick up truck to help people move.

Believe it or not that is actually what prompted me to sell my Ford Ranger about 10 years ago, and get a car. People were constantly asking to borrow me/it, for a million stupid things ranging from buying shrubs at the nursery to moving. When you work like a maniac and only have a few days off a month, that doesn't fly...

Low Rep Count
    Amen to that! I do wish I had a pick up every once in a while but I have a friend that has one

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Here's to hoping that when you need their help, your parents don't prioritize you lower than other things they'd rather be doing .
    Oh snap. Lame thing about parents is whenever they ask me to do something, however unpleasant, I do it, because raising me mostly was unpleasant. I'm in the hole.

I have a truck, Sparty....

mtbr member
    I feel ya man. I haven't been on the bike in 2 days. It has been way to hot, here in Boise, but it did rain a little the last 2 days.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Yeah, I figure that no amount of fence repair will repay someone for wiping s@#t off my @$$ for the first two years of my life

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    +1

Members who have read this thread: 0