BUSS Chainline?- Mtbr.com

Thread: BUSS Chainline?

mtbr member

BUSS Chainline?

Finally got around to checking chainline on my stock BUSS. It appears by string and also by straightedge that the line is off by approx. .250 inch. It looks as if the chainring belongs where the bashguard is. It always seemed noisey, but is it possible stock setup is that far off?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    its stock with six year old parts?

maybe the taper of the BB spindle has worn down? or did you change the BB to a 103 maybe by mistake? or change the cranks from the RF forged?

my buss has a 108mm spindle and a WI freewheel, and it sounds fine.

i can't remember if i've measured the chainline in the recent past, but iirc, when i did some years ago, they were both ~48mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biotruth
    its stock with six year old parts?

maybe the taper of the BB spindle has worn down? or did you change the BB to a 103 maybe by mistake? or change the cranks from the RF forged?

my buss has a 108mm spindle and a WI freewheel, and it sounds fine.

i can't remember if i've measured the chainline in the recent past, but iirc, when i did some years ago, they were both ~48mm
    So, how does it measure with a straightedge or a string? I just got my metric tape out and did some measuring. The rear hub seems to be centered in the rear dropouts. If I measure from the center of the hub to the center of the freewheel, I get approx. 5.5 mm. If I measure from the center of the bashguard to the center of the down tube. I also get approx. 5.5 mm. I can see where you got 48mm@ the front sprocket. What am I doing wrong at the rear wheel, assuming my straight edge measuring is also wrong?
    Last edited by Fredmertz51; 02-22-2007 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member

not much help

nice to see BuSSs still out there. nothing on my BuSS is stock. everything wore out or is on another bike, including BB, back wheel, freewheel, chainring. but, when everything was more or less stock, the chainline was great. and, yes, that was with the chainring in the middle position on the cranks with the bashguard outboard. sure you have the original bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    nice to see BuSSs still out there. nothing on my BuSS is stock. everything wore out or is on another bike, including BB, back wheel, freewheel, chainring. but, when everything was more or less stock, the chainline was great. and, yes, that was with the chainring in the middle position on the cranks with the bashguard outboard. sure you have the original bottom bracket?
    I have the approx. 48mm chainline at the front sprocket that Biotruth has. I guess my actual questions are; What am i doing wrong to get the 55mm measurement off the stock Paul rear hub? and Why does the straightedge and string seem to agree with my measurement? I realize I'm probably making a mistake somewhere. And yes, this BUSS has lived a pampered life as a slick tired city bike for a weak,lazy, elderly man. (Me)
    Last edited by Fredmertz51; 02-23-2007 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member
    OK , I'm just going to leave the chainline as is. Guess I shouldn't obsess about things I don't really know anything about. Alot I don't know about mechanicing. I just hope I make with careing what I lack in skills.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'll try to remember to check mine again this weekend.

but i have a hard time believing the rear is 55mm. the whole hub is 135mm, so half would be 67.5mm. that would mean that the freewheel cog is 12.5mm from the outboard axle edge (1/2 inch). to me that seems way too close.

try measuring from the outboard edge of the hub (where the axle emerges) to the center of the teeth line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biotruth
    i'll try to remember to check mine again this weekend.

but i have a hard time believing the rear is 55mm. the whole hub is 135mm, so half would be 67.5mm. that would mean that the freewheel cog is 12.5mm from the outboard axle edge (1/2 inch). to me that seems way too close.

try measuring from the outboard edge of the hub (where the axle emerges) to the center of the teeth line.
    Yup, the wheel is in the bike, I have about .500 inch from the inside of the dropout to the center of the teeth, and about .187 from the edge of the freewheel to the dropout. The freewheel body just barely clears the seatstay. No spacers under the freewheel.

mtbr member

post pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredmertz51
    I have the approx. 48mm chainline at the front sprocket that Biotruth has. I guess my actual questions are; What am i doing wrong to get the 55mm measurement off the stock Paul rear hub? and Why does the straightedge and string seem to agree with my measurement? I realize I'm probably making a mistake somewhere. And yes, this BUSS has lived a pampered life as a slick tired city bike for a weak,lazy, elderly man. (Me)
    i'm not a spring chicken either...and i remember you from the lucy show! you were my favorite character. good to hear that you're still around and now a rider.

something's not right and your chainline should be visibily perfect on a stock BuSS. i'd adivse to figure this out as the BuSS is an awesome frame, and every good SS deserves a perfect chainline. i still love my BuSS. right now, it's set up as a fixed gear studded-tire snow bike. i can't measure my paul word hub because a fixed gear cog is (unfortunately) permanently attached to it and it's off the BuSS.

i doubt it's the rear wheel. bent frame? is everything set up right on the front end: bottom bracket is stock and centered? chainring is attached on the inside of the spider? cranks are stock gold raceface and tight? a picture or two might help.

rep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The chainline was pretty good on my BUSS until about 2 weeks ago. The race face crank broke off just above the pedal while I was climbing (out of the saddle, under fair power on a steep hill). Slammo! The company says parts do wear out. Chumps.

Members who have read this thread: 0