BuSS- Mtbr.com

Thread: BuSS

beer *****es n' bikes

BuSS

Anyone got one and got a opinion on it? My friend at work has one and I lust after its brown paint and gold cranks daily. The new SaSS is just hideous... I hate chrome and I hate discs. Thinkin about a used BuSS though, but was originally thinking of a steel frame, esp. since I will most likely run a rigid fork. Any opinions or thoughts on this?

I would definately get a Kona Unit new but we can only get Trek, Klein, Specialized Bianchi, Fisher through work, and none of them make a good singlespeed so I'm left to looking for a used BuSS since thats all I can really afford.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

sufferer of a.d.d.
    i cannot speak for the quality of the bike as i am uneducated (though i am a recent diss owner and i'm loving it) but i will say that i think the bass (the green one) is the sexiest bianchi frame around...i find it much more appealling that the buss.

BUSS

BASS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had one for two years, and I like it quite a bit. It's a great bike for my local SE MI trails, but I've ridden it rigid in Pisgah, NC and suspended in Moab/Fruita, and it's done well there too. I also went through a period of infatuation with the brown and gold color scheme, and I still think it's the coolest of the Bianchi line (well, the original BOSS is nice too). If you're not into discs and steel isn't a necessity, I thnk a used Bianchi is a better deal, since you get the nice RF cranks and Paul hubs. Those are actually the only original parts still on my frame.

Drawbacks? Well, I have heard others say the frame rides harshly. I'm not sure if I can back that up myself, not noticing much a difference between the Buss and a steel Blizzard or even a FAT I rode for a while. Riding rigid over stutter bumps can resemble a bucking bull, but it's taught me to be smoother, pick a good line, and get my ass a bit off the saddle.

I've also heard it described as a quick handling bike, which is ideal for my local trails, it carves quite nicely. It isn't the most confidence inspiring going down steep hills, but I'm comparing it to an RFX in that regard, so that's not a fair comparison. It definitely doesn't feel nervous to me, I've had a twitchy bike before.

I do have a fair amount of dings in the frame, but nothing that would be considered frame threatening.

I think fitting a fat tire in the back (eg 2.4" Mutano) would be difficult, but may be possible if you keep the axle back in the track ends.

I wouldn't pay much for one. I think I paid $450 for mine used, but I'd go less than that these days. I think I've seen some in the $300 range.

Also make sure it fits. I think I once found a geometry chart on Harris Cyclery's website that had the top tube of the 19" size at 23", but I've measured mine at 23.5". The current Bianchi geometry is different, I think.

I'll throw some pictures up of it later.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've only ridden two non-converted SS's - the BUSS and my 1x1. Very different largely due to weight and frame material (steel vs alum). From just a couple rides, the BUSS was stiff for out-of-the-saddle efforts and light. Not as forgiving as the 1x1 through the rocks and bumps, but that's no surprise. And you've gotta love the brown and gold. Especially if you can get one with all the gold componentry. Somehow it just doesn't look as cool with standard black or silver cranks, stem, bars, etc. Anyway, I'd say it's stiff, light, efficient, no-nonsense and so darn ugly! S

mtbr member

awesome

I got a BuSS a few years back and I can't say enough good about it. I ended up selling it to fund a custom steel frame, I still kick myself for selling it. My custom is nice, but so was that BuSS. I rode it rigid and suspended, oh I miss that bike. I talked one of my buddies into buying one after I'd had mine for a while, and he loves his too. Although, he recently got an ENO wheelset to use on a different frame (he wanted to go to a ti frame and have his BuSS as a race rig) and so his BuSS is in my basement. I think he questions that move now too. How long before I can claim his BuSS as mine?

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brownbike
    Also make sure it fits. I think I once found a geometry chart on Harris Cyclery's website that had the top tube of the 19" size at 23", but I've measured mine at 23.5". The current Bianchi geometry is different, I think.

I'll throw some pictures up of it later.
    Do you know if the Bass and the Buss have the same top tube lenghts?

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member

The BuSS stops here

I love my BuSS. Light, tight, stiff, does everything. I've replaced some of the components, but it still has the original gold cranks and gold paul word hubs. It's set up fixie for the winter. This was last summer's configuration for the dirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't say with certainty, so I won't say anything. (but I don't remember there being any geo changes between those years)

Breathus Hardus

BuSS= A Great SS

I loved my BuSS, rode it rigid with 2.25 Geax tires to take some of the sting off.
    Cheap, light (mine was under 19Lbs with nice but not crazy components), good clean fun.
    Moved all of those nice components over to a Matt C Ute this past Christmas.
    Built the BuSS back up stock and gave the gift of SS to a long time riding buddy of mine.

Before people get crazy on me, the heading is “BuSS=A Great SS” not “THE” great SS, there are many good SS rides out there, the Bianchi just happens to be one of them and is generally available cheap, though personally, I think the gold components are fugly as sin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here is a link

here is a link to my review of the C.u.S.S. which is basically the same as the Buss just different colors.

http://www.epinions.com/content_118393114244

Recovering Weight Weenie

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by seely
    The new SaSS is just hideous... I hate chrome and I hate discs.
    I'm with you right up until you say, "I hate discs."

Aside from a slight weight penalty...they perform/operate better on EVERY level than rim brakes. And by every level, I mean, every level. What is there to hate? Don't be a hater.. Embrace the techology!

Does your car have 4 wheeled drum brakes? Do you hate discs on your car too?

You have to think of it like spinach when you were a kid. It's scary at first.. but then you realize it's good for you....

"Mr. Britannica"

question

how do you like that apex fender?

mtbr member
    I've had a BUSS for over three years now and I couldn't be happier. Its super light with a few modifications (Monkey lite, CK headseat, RF taperlock BB, THomson stem and post). I go back and forth between rigid and suspended and currently run a 2003 Rock Shox SID Team. I don't particularly like the fork except that it keeps the weight low and the remote lockout gets me to use the lockout when I would normally be too lazy. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with any Bianchi SS. The price is right

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I'm with you right up until you say, "I hate discs."

Aside from a slight weight penalty...they perform/operate better on EVERY level than rim brakes. And by every level, I mean, every level. What is there to hate? Don't be a hater.. Embrace the techology!

Does your car have 4 wheeled drum brakes? Do you hate discs on your car too?

You have to think of it like spinach when you were a kid. It's scary at first.. but then you realize it's good for you....
    I shouldnt say I hate discs, but I should say I feel they are terribly unnecessary for the riding I do, and are more complex to setup and maintain. If the bike had XT Hydros I might consider it then, I have set a few of those up and they seem to work well with little maintenance and good modulation, but one of my friends at work has a SASS (i think) with the Avid Mechs and its been a real pain so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SISS w/ Avid Mech Rocks

I shouldnt say I hate discs, but I should say I feel they are terribly unnecessary for the riding I do, and are more complex to setup and maintain. If the bike had XT Hydros I might consider it then, I have set a few of those up and they seem to work well with little maintenance and good modulation, but one of my friends at work has a SASS (i think) with the Avid Mechs and its been a real pain so far.
    I have a 2003 SISS and while I did have some problems with the bike right out of the box (chainline, headset, rear hub set up). I haven't had any problems with the Avid Mechanicals. Sure the rear is a bit of a pain to change a flat but that would be the case with the IS mount and any disk brake. They are nothing to set up. This can easily be done on the trail in about 2 minutes. I don't know much about disks but these are simple to set up.

I thought I didn't need disks too. Then I rode them, now I ride my geary with avid v's and I feel like I don't have any brakes. I didn't notice much difference going to the disks but going back is scary. Kind of like when I switched to V's and then rode my old bike.

I don't like chrome though so I got the SISS. Same bike, same components, different seatpost size, different color. I like the battleship gray look better than the chrome.

Get the 2003 and enjoy.
    GP

Recovering Weight Weenie

... and if we just ...

I see what you are saying. Here's my gauge on the complexity of v's vs. discs...
    I can't set up v's...too many springs, wires, pads...(are they hitting the tire?) and all that crap. With the Avid's.. two BIG red knobs...and a few bolts....THAT is what I'm talking about! Granted, with Bianchi's design, you do have to loosen the adaptor bolts to swing the caliper out of the way when removing the tire, but Bianchi should be doing EBB anyway..it's the sport of the future.

My Bianchi was fabulous for the 3 weeks that it lasted beneath me. It's pretty little aneimic(sp?) tubing and noodle like stays were dead sexy....and then...just dead. The only thing STILL running from that Bianchi are my Avid Mechanicals that are now purring along on my Surly Instigator. Hey, and I haven't trashed any rims yet cause of my brakes! The rim brakes aren't as kind.

If you're friend is struggling with Avid's, I'd bet a burger he's doing something very wrong. I'm nearly inept as a mechanic, yet the Avid's are well within my grasp. Let's not forget also, that at 240lbs, these little mechanical brakes stop me like my old v's NEVER could...and do it when it's cold, hot, wet, dry, fast, steep, loose, rocky, snowy..whatever...the v's give up the ghost way too soon....

I'm a bit surprised that you'd be friendly with the XT hyrdos. Do you consider having to bleed your brakes less cumbersome than twisting two red knobs?

oh well... whatever keeps you riding!

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    Get the 2003 and enjoy.
    GP
    Would but I can't... Bianchi hasn't had any 2003's for about 3 mo I guess.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I'm a bit surprised that you'd be friendly with the XT hyrdos. Do you consider having to bleed your brakes less cumbersome than twisting two red knobs?

oh well... whatever keeps you riding!
    Its not necessarily that I feel the XT Hydros are that much easier to setup, but actually since I'm used to working on cars bleeding brakes for me is no big deal. I have a third hand bleed kit already.

Anyone know how much a SASS weighs? I'm just concerned about the stock components... they just don't seem top shelf like the BUSS was. Seems a bit porky too (chrome is hhhhhhheavy). I have a feeling I am going to order a 1x1 today

Derailleurs owned: 0
    I prefer my UltraLite DISS, but if i had to choose a steel frame.... it would be a 2004 Kona, with those cool horizontally-sliding vertical dropouts!

Members who have read this thread: 0