Riding up to get down

The burning question, should I convert?

Here's the scoop. I am looking at making an old bike, into a SS. I have been thinking about this for a while and want to ride a SS, and believe that I have a suitable candidate for the change

I have an old, and I mean old, circa 1986-1987 fully rigid Specialized StumpJumper. It has the old friction shifters, huge cantilever breaks and 6 speeds!! The square taper BB has some serious problems and needs to be replace, it almost looks round on the drive train side. The seat is cracked and falling apart, but besides that she is in good shape

My reason for the SS conversion is 1) I would like a bike that I can buzz down the to the store on, 2) hit some okay singletrack, behind my house and 3) to have a simplified bike that I can take anywhere, whenever.

My concern is the age of the bike, and I am wondering if I will be able to get parts for her? I plan on upgrading everything that I can, rims, breaks, seat, headset, etc. I just want to make sure that this is a good candidate or if I should just by a new ss specific frame and work from there. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Do it.

espresso lover
    1. Take your digicam
    2. Make a nice picture
    3. post that pic at the "vintage, retro, classic forum
    4. let the guys over there get excited about the bike
    5. sell it to one of them (for a good price)
    6. buy a nice bike for the convert or maybe get a nice SS
    7. ride it and feel good!

Or after step 2 post it over here and let us give our thoughts about it!

Good luck!
    No cool signature...

mtbr member
    I would not be scared to do it. I agree with ^ if you could sell it as vintage you would be on a good start of a SS bike. Older bikes have different angles than today's bikes. Just be aware that the handling might be different.

As long as the wheels and other parts are ok for riding, I would go for it.

Riding up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie - B
    1. Take your digicam
    2. Make a nice picture
    3. post that pic at the "vintage, retro, classic forum
    4. let the guys over there get excited about the bike
    5. sell it to one of them (for a good price)
    6. buy a nice bike for the convert or maybe get a nice SS
    7. ride it and feel good!

Or after step 2 post it over here and let us give our thoughts about it!

Good luck!
    Frankie - B

Thanks for the idea. I will get the digital out and snap away. I do not think I can sell it. It needs some help, rust on the drive train, bottom bracket, etc., plus the old sentimental value, per mastercard "priceless".

I am still debating whether or not I should just buy a SS frame and start from there. I do not want to spend to much and think that the best way is via the rebuild. Any thoughts on bottom brackets, rear wheels, etc?

banned
    Apr 2004

That will make an excellent single speed

Quote Originally Posted by 5cents
    Here's the scoop. I am looking at making an old bike, into a SS. I have been thinking about this for a while and want to ride a SS, and believe that I have a suitable candidate for the change

I have an old, and I mean old, circa 1986-1987 fully rigid Specialized StumpJumper. It has the old friction shifters, huge cantilever breaks and 6 speeds!! The square taper BB has some serious problems and needs to be replace, it almost looks round on the drive train side. The seat is cracked and falling apart, but besides that she is in good shape

My reason for the SS conversion is 1) I would like a bike that I can buzz down the to the store on, 2) hit some okay singletrack, behind my house and 3) to have a simplified bike that I can take anywhere, whenever.

My concern is the age of the bike, and I am wondering if I will be able to get parts for her? I plan on upgrading everything that I can, rims, breaks, seat, headset, etc. I just want to make sure that this is a good candidate or if I should just by a new ss specific frame and work from there. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Try webcyclery.com for the parts.

When she's done take her out on your favorite trails and embrace the suffering once or twice a week and you will notice your geared rides are easier and faster.

espresso lover
    Quote Originally Posted by 5cents
    Frankie - B

Thanks for the idea. I will get the digital out and snap away. I do not think I can sell it. It needs some help, rust on the drive train, bottom bracket, etc., plus the old sentimental value, per mastercard "priceless".

I am still debating whether or not I should just buy a SS frame and start from there. I do not want to spend to much and think that the best way is via the rebuild. Any thoughts on bottom brackets, rear wheels, etc?
    Hey, Those vintage guys just love restoring bikes. Let them do the dirtywork they like. I'm not saying converting isn't fun because i also commute on a converted gearie.

And as gatman says, the older bikes have a different geo.
    No cool signature...