burn out....- Mtbr.com

Thread: burn out....

mtbr member

burn out....

Do any of you just get bored with riding MTB and say enoughs enough? Its been 15 years now for me, I think maybe I need a long break to feel the desire again. I've taken up road riding more this last year and can't get motivated to ride off road much anymore. I really enjoy the long road rides just wandering around aimlessly much better now. Should I sell my Single and come back in a few years, refreshed? Or do you think my desire to ride offroad will return with some other sort of event? My other idea is to trade my Spot stuff for a KM and set it up fixie for the road now, then make it a MTB later if the interest returns.

Has anybody else dealt with this? How long of a break did you take?

MC

Reviewer/Tester
    I have dealt with this exact same problem a few times during my riding life.

Don't Panic !! It's fairly normal human behavior.

What I have done in the past is to take a break. Get another interest, do a different sport, change from dirt to road, take up something else.

I always come back to riding bikes, and when I do, i'm keener than ever... and.. I usually start again with a new build..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Keep the Spot and convert it to a fixie. 700c wheels with road tires will fit. Put a rigid fork on it.

You will have a bike to come back to.

Then do whatever you feel like doing. Don't worry about when your offroad motivation will come back.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Usually I get burnt out every year by about late October, Halloween time. Take the serious winter off (Nov, Dec, Jan) and start spinning again by late Feb. A good break for refreshing the legs and mind.
    One word though, unless you are pinched for space, or have too many , dont sell any bikes. Every time I have sold anything, I regretted it later. When I am an old geezer, I will have WAY too many bikes & parts in the garage!

mtbr member

Opposite Angle

I am a long time roadie who has only come to mtb-ing in the last couple of years. Single speeding seemed to appeal to my sense of simplicity and it has revolutionised my attitude to all things cycling to the point where I have just built a SS road bike for winter training.

My advice would be to not put all your eggs in one basket. I am just beginning to find out that you can never have too many bikes for when the mood takes you! Planning, building and riding is what keeps your interest going, both on and off road.

Chubutiger
    Mar 2004
    This is why I have so many bikes and so many parts laying around. If you've got the storage space why not keep your riding options open. After heeding some of that great advice above you never know what you may be craving come spring.

I hate the expression "cross-training," but I occasionally mix up my weekends with hiking or something else outdoorsy. I'll be hoofin along some path and sure enough I start thinking how sweet It'd be to ride it.

Of course, snowboard season is just around the corner...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat

MC
    Yeah, yesterday. I did a lot of racing this summer, and I was also getting tired of the fast pace of most of my rides. I wanted to slow things up and to prevent myself from getting too nutty, I made my one of my fixie mtbs brakeless. Two hours (and one crash) later, it was a refreshing break from the usual race tempo. If you're going to try it, make sure there are no steep/dangerous downhills (or simply walk those sections).
    Last edited by Drevil; 09-12-2005 at 05:03 AM.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Lazy People Suck

I hit wall about a month and a half ago

Luckily it coincided with me coaching my son's youth football team. It was such a refreshing change and I am having a great time with it. I was so focused on racing since the beginning of the year. I pretty much have written off my racing for the year and it feels good to do so. My riding was suffering because I did not really want to be there.

I think the biggest thing that you can do to avoid the burnout is to only ride when you feel like it. I was forcing myself to ride at least 4 days a week and was not liking my bike very much. By having fun coaching my son's team and not worrying if I miss my regular ride, I am having more fun. In the last week, I have wanted to ride and I have ridden very well, but only twice a week.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Retro Grouch

Just get so sick you can't ride...

Do any of you just get bored with riding MTB and say enoughs enough? Its been 15 years now for me, I think maybe I need a long break to feel the desire again. I've taken up road riding more this last year and can't get motivated to ride off road much anymore. I really enjoy the long road rides just wandering around aimlessly much better now. Should I sell my Single and come back in a few years, refreshed? Or do you think my desire to ride offroad will return with some other sort of event? My other idea is to trade my Spot stuff for a KM and set it up fixie for the road now, then make it a MTB later if the interest returns.

MC
    This is my second bout with the flu in a month (they call it the rebound flu syndrom; it always seems better when your malady has an "Offical" name). Anyway one of the reasons you get burned is because there is nothing stopping you from riding; I've been buggy for 6 days now and riding it's all I can think about. I started riding late, riding road bikes at 25, did some triathlons, then started mountain bike riding about 12 years ago, SS for the last 4 (I just turned 50). Riding allows be to listen to god. But I do mix it up alot. I have a SS mountain bike, a fixie road bike, a SS (freewheel) road bike, a tandem (I ride with my wife) and a geared MTB with a third wheel Alley Cat I use to pull my 6 year old around (there's also nothing more motivating then teaching your child how to ride). I usually ride MTB in the summer and road in the rainy season (the MTB trails around here really get tore up in the rain).

You obviously enjoy riding but you're making it a chore. Shiggy has a great idea, riding a fixie would be a new challenge. Since I started I've riding fixed gear I completed the Solvang Century twice on one. You don't have to be good and you don't have to be fast (just ask the guys I've ridden with), you just have to end the ride with a smile.

1G1G, Brad

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I burned out/got bored and decided to do some hiking for a while. Gives a completely different perspective of the trail. I see a lot of things I never noticed on the bike. Amazing how corners and hills can look so different when your speed is much less than it used to be on a trail. "Wow, that corner is not as sharp as I thought, or that hill isn't so steep". But then I think, this trail didn't used to be this long.

I still look at my SS every day and think someday I'll ride it again. SSing is just too much fun to give up completely.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    My approach may not work for most, but during the winter every year I ride skatepark, technical and trials type stuff - that and jump my FR bike off of stuff. It's a totally different mindset and you'd be surprised at what riding your MTB in a skatepark will do for your handling skills (and any excess ego you might have). This way I get time in on the bike year round, but am still stoked come March to start doing "real riding".
    Now with more vitriol!

75% Mountain cycle

Don't ever let riding become work!

For me, I burned out big. I feel the best thing you can do is stop trying to meet some crazy fitness goal forcing yourself to ride 5 days a week, toss the cyclo-computer, pack up all your worldly bike thingies, and build a cheap, durable, rigid fixie or SS.

My story in a nut shell is in the late 80's early 90's - San Luis Obispo, Ca, riding was free and incredible. Mid 90's near Salt Lake City, UT - the riding there is to die for. Late 90's, Adirondacks were so sweet - until snow came. 12 years of the greatest riding that started from my front porch, no cars or racks needed. Last 5 years - Atlanta Metro local rides have just worn themselves out. There are fun trails but you mostly have to do laps to get miles in unless you want to drive a few hours. It makes me yawn uncontrollably thinking about it

Tried urban freeride - too complicated and the riding was just too destructive to landscape, hardscape, and the homeless. I tried traveling hours by car to get to the mountains... please kill me now. Road bike... tried it... GA locals are lunatics behind the wheel. It was killing me to sit around and the rides bored me to tears. The problem was that I felt like I had to ride or I was going to loose something and never get it back.

That's when my non-disc cromo SS rigid frankenbike came to the rescue. I may ride the local trails twice a month but every day I ride; I ride to the store, down to the lake, I hit all the local gas stations to see how gas is doing, I ride the kids around in my heavily modified BOB COZ. Some of my longest rides are to check the curbs around the neighborhoods on Sunday night for the clean out the garage/trash/curbside/pick-up stuff. I feel fine about it all. I ride for the feel of it, no fitness pressure at all, and it's freed me from burn-out. I packed up all my high end stuff and just ride this.... - pardon the crappy camera phone pic.

My opinion, you should never ride when you feel you have to. Then it just becomes work. Find another activity to keep you in shape, and start riding for fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SanAnMan; 09-12-2005 at 12:37 PM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Try another sport. If you haven't been rock climbing, backpacking, whitewater kayaking etc and only ride your bike, you are missing out on some really great things to do. Any one of them can consume your time and thoughts like riding a bike can.

The Top Cap Guy
    MC

Just set the Spot on the back porch and I'll be by to pick it up and "store it" for you... when you're ready to ride again just let me know....

The last time I road off road I got posin ivy and it really bummed me out and I started riding my fixed gear around the neighborhood and out on all the country roads around here... really enjoyed it. That scared me... I enjoyed riding on the road?? Hmm.... even suffering on the long climbs on the fixie wasn't bad when I got home - I just ached... and not itched for a week. I was burnout so bad on the mtn riding that I've even ordered a new geared road bike (albeit it's a cross bike) but it's geared drop bars anyway.... but I've found a new love for the road... that is until a car will brush me back off the road... then I'll know a tree will never buzz me on the trail (more likely I'll buzz the tree). I just road a week ago on my mtn bike offroad and had a blast - I took a new guy offroad... for the first time in a long time. He was mainly a roadie and he bought a 1x1 about a year ago and never road it - I got him to go and we went slow but I had a blast as he learned to ride... he liked it a lot too as his skill lever really went up fast too....

So I think I'm riding again offroad again Tuesday... slowly I'm getting back into it...

Good luck MC... let me know if your coming up and we'll ride...

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

JAK
    mtbr member

Seasons...

Without 'em I'd be hella burnt!

The last time I truly burnt myself out was '89 cuz I though you had to race(I also didn't have to look at purple Ringle bar ended bicycles )...

I did something the same but different...Since I needed the outdoor connection and physical interaction with my environs I chose climbing(or it chose me) and I ditched the bike for 5 years...except for the bi-weekly rides with my buddy Pete). Not only was I completley refreshed, I could actually 'ride' a bike after climbing. I think doing something different is a great way to accept the burn and turn it into a FIRE somewhere else in your world.

Now I have Seasons to help me out, whether I am biking or skiing. Seasons are where it is at(at any given moment there is change)

Now is infinite, and all that is!

DIG!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

JAK
    mtbr member

Seasons...

Without 'em I'd be hella burnt!

The last time I truly burnt myself out was '89 cuz I though you had to race(I also didn't have to look at purple Ringle bar ended bicycles )...

I did something the same but different...Since I needed the outdoor connection and physical interaction with my environs I chose climbing(or it chose me) and I ditched the bike for 5 years...except for the bi-weekly rides with my buddy Pete). Not only was I completley refreshed, I could actually 'ride' a bike after climbing. I think doing something different is a great way to accept the burn and turn it into a FIRE somewhere else in your world.

Now I have Seasons to help me out, whether I am biking or skiing. Seasons are where it is at.

DIG!

I feel more like I do NOW then when I got here.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Keep the Spot and convert it to a fixie. 700c wheels with road tires will fit. Put a rigid fork on it.

You will have a bike to come back to.

Then do whatever you feel like doing. Don't worry about when your offroad motivation will come back.
    WORD!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member

Thanks...

for all the ideas and personal experiences. I will keep riding offroad in some fashion I think, but probably blow off riding MTB unless the situation/people is really great(like some Kentucky singletrack I know)...

I've tried alot of other sports as diversions in the past, just to name a few:

rock climbing - fun, but limited friends that tried it with me. Shame as we have some of the best climbing in the east 2 hours away(red river gorge, ky).

Whitewater Kayaking - 4 years of fun, loved this sport, very happy running class 3/4 rivers with a small rodeo boat playing. Everyone I paddled with moved away, so end of the line on this. Once again, good water with in 4 hours(New River, Gauley, Yough). Having young kids makes this one tough too.

Motocross - rode enduro bike for fun at many trails in the Ohio/In/KY area. Even raced a Hare Scramble one time, got 2nd place in my class! This sport is just boring compared to MTB, plus it rips up the trails.

Autocross - fun, but limited car time bored me with this sport.

Shifter go karts - this is the mother of all fun automotive sports! pulling 2.5G's 1 inch off the ground while going over a 100 miles an hour is a total blast. These karts are not toys, but very, very hard machines to master. I had a blast doing this, but the costs make blinglespeeding look very cheap.

Sailing - 12 years of every weekend at the lake. Loved this sport, cheap, fun, relaxing if the wind is light, exciting if its blowing. I will return to sailing once my kids get older. Oh, and if your single cute granola chicks like this one too.

Fixie is looking good, maybe thats the next step? I would also love to take another bike tour. Its been years, but spending 3-4 days out on the road with just your bike and gear was really fun.

Maybe an offroad tour? Anybody up for the Kokopelli trail, maybe take 3 days, have fun? After all , we need a Major MTBR.com singlespeeding event to attend!

MC

MC

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    for all the ideas and personal experiences. I will keep riding offroad in some fashion I think, but probably blow off riding MTB unless the situation/people is really great(like some Kentucky singletrack I know)...

rock climbing - fun, but limited friends that tried it with me. Shame as we have some of the best climbing in the east 2 hours away(red river gorge, ky).

Whitewater Kayaking - 4 years of fun, loved this sport, very happy running class 3/4 rivers with a small rodeo boat playing. Everyone I paddled with moved away, so end of the line on this. Once again, good water with in 4 hours(New River, Gauley, Yough). Having young kids makes this one tough too.

Motocross - rode enduro bike for fun at many trails in the Ohio/In/KY area. Even raced a Hare Scramble one time, got 2nd place in my class! This sport is just boring compared to MTB, plus it rips up the trails.

Shifter go karts - this is the mother of all fun automotive sports! pulling 2.5G's 1 inch off the ground while going over a 100 miles an hour is a total blast. These karts are not toys, but very, very hard machines to master. I had a blast doing this, but the costs make blinglespeeding look very cheap.

Sailing - 12 years of every weekend at the lake. Loved this sport, cheap, fun, relaxing if the wind is light, exciting if its blowing. I will return to sailing once my kids get older. Oh, and if your single cute granola chicks like this one too.

Fixie is looking good, maybe thats the next step? I would also love to take another bike tour. Its been years, but spending 3-4 days out on the road with just your bike and gear was really fun.

Maybe an offroad tour? Anybody up for the Kokopelli trail, maybe take 3 days, have fun? After all , we need a Major MTBR.com singlespeeding event to attend!

MC
    One of the coolest things about road riding compared to the other sports you have done is...

No Drive Time!

Just get on your bike and ride! COOL! You can do longer rides or ride the same amount and spend more time with the family.

BTW I would love to ride Kokopelli with you once I get my funds in order (still looking for a decent job!)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I'm a complete binge cyclist. In Spring, Summer, Autumn, that's when I ride. Winter, I sit inside and grumble at the rain.

Taking some time of or finding new challenges is the key, so is thinking long term. There's so many things to do, there's more places that you haven't ridden than you have ridden, so the possibilities are endless.

Next weekend, I'm doing my first 12hr event, and for the past 8 months or so I've dreamt about off-road touring in Ethiopia. In January I'm going to New Zealand, and next September fingers crossed to the US to do the Utah/Interbike thing.

All that on top of my endless project bikes and trying to run Thylacine and the rest of my life leaves not much time for burn-out!
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Hairshirt Rider
    Do any of you just get bored with riding MTB and say enoughs enough? Its been 15 years now for me, I think maybe I need a long break to feel the desire again.
    No - this is crazy talk.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

MC
    Just went through sorta the same thing. Started riding MTB's 11 years ago, started racing shortly after. Got a road bike for training and became hooked, raced on the road and MTB for the last 6 years at a pretty high level which requires ridiculous amounts of dedication and sacrifice to be a player. At the end of the summer I just couldn't motivate myself to go out and do 5 hrs on the road bike, so it sat. I recently purchased a 5" travel trailbike and started riding with friends again and having fun. Maybe I'll race again and enjoy the road bike but for now I digging the fun new MTB.
    You're right, you need a change, new bike, new riding friends, maybe even a break from bikes altogether. You'll be back, you've been doing it this long, it's got it's hooks in you.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think the key to all this is just have fun. As one of my distinguished co-workers says, "If work was fun, they wouldnt call it work!" You sound as if you are in danger of turning fun into work. Either take a break, or find a way to make pedaling fun again. One thing I did was take off my clipless pedals and go to platforms, thus eliminating the need for shoes, and therefore shorts, gloves, jacket etc. And then I just pedaled around, not watching my HR, worrying about cadence or mileage. It became fun again by being simple.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Variety is the key.

I recently bought myself a Fuji Track to put in some SS road work. I started taking it offroad, as in "Oh, that's an interesting looking track, I wonder where it goes?". So now it's got more upright bars, and it is getting really dirty The level of concentration needed to ride something this fragile offroad adds to the fun - your steering and anticipation gets more precise.

I'm also doing some serious distance on it - but not seriously - head off for a cruise and keep going as long as I feel like it. I did a 100 mile road loop through the mountains last week and only wished for a lower gear twice. The point is to enjoy it - I made myself stop for at least 5 minutes in the hour to enjoy the views and deliberately buttoned back on the speed every time I got frisky.

I have started taking my Dahon folding bike offroad (again). Now that's a challenge and helps keep the fun in cycling. Poor thing has had to have all its spokes replaced. It is about to get a derailleurectomy so that it is also SS, which should make offroad even more fun on it. If you want to know the meaning of flex, abuse one of these up a steep hill in a high gear (Great little bikes - I highly recommend them for adding fun to cycling)

In the meantime my Surly SS is being unused (it's getting a few mods), but I know that in a few weeks I'll jump on it again and wonder why I haven't been riding it sooner.

So in short, don't sell your bike, get a few more and vary your riding.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

Belltown Brazer
    MC, I was going to suggest paddling, but I see you've already been there. The kids coming around squashed my paddling...chasing water just takes too much time. I was at my best when I could split a weekend with a day of paddling and a day of riding...those were the days!

I raced karts for 10 years in the 90's and it was super fun. That was also pre-kids, when we were d.i.n.k.s. If you were interested in winning (and who here wouldn't be) it was $$$$$$$$! The engines alone were the price of a nice bike...and you needed at least 2.

I was burned out with the mtb after 15 years around y2k. the singlespeed actually brought the fun back.

I'm with the other guys, don't sweat it. Enjoy the kids. Do something else for a while. I like stacking rock walls. It'll come back. If it doesn't? Then it doesn't. Just don't sell the bikes.

B

Lazy People Suck

A fun ride suggestion

Mellowcat,

If you have any desire to head over Indiana way, there is an HMBA sponsored Brown County Epic Ride scheduled for October 23rd. It starts out on the new trail in Brown County State Park (which I believe is already the best trail in the state and is in the process of being made longer) HMBA has gotten permission to use some of the off limits trails for this event only to link it to the Nebo Ridge (aka Knobstone) Trail and then on to the Hickory Ridge Trail System for a 62 mile off road ride.

It is supported and should be alot of fun, if you are looking for some different scenery.
    There is info on it at www.hmba.org
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Start bringing a beer with you on your bike rides. Stop at some cool location, pop the top and enjoy. Whenever I get burnt on the fitness aspect of riding I remind myself that it's just a bike ride I'm going on and not some quest for fitness. That and xc ski season is just around the corner...

Steamroller

combine riding with ??

If riding by itself is not doing it for you, try making some other activity part of the focus and fun. I have recently been playing arouns a bit with Geocaching. There are little caches of trinkets or just logs with pencils hidden along most of my favorite trails, I rode by them dozens of time and never knew. I only need a few minutes on the computer to get the coordinates and hints then I bring a printed sheet and my GPS with me on the ride. My five year old son absolutely loves this too. It's a cool family friendly sport that can be done on a bike or on foot. Little kids like it too. There are even caches that are handicapped or stroller accessable, like you drive and park in a city park and the cache is next to a paved trail within a few yards. The real easy ones are fun to try at night!

That's just my current thing. You could ride and fish, ride and swim, ride and birdwatch, ride and read, ride and picnic, ride and photograph, ride and meditate, ride and camp, ride to a bar, ride to church, ride to dinner, ride to visit grandma. Lately I'm riding to work, at least part way part of the time. Your imagination is the only limit. I also mix things up by having several bikes.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Expert Pushing SSer

Quick, get MC a beer....

MC
    Wow MC, quite a diverse sampling of activities. I have tried some of those, like kayaking and climbing. I will say that of all the sports I have done/started up, I have ended in favor of the mtb (with the exception of xc skiing). I think maybe you might like xc-skiing. It can be kid friendly, but obviously requires some sticks. You may also find some down time with a cold one in hand all the more inspiration to get back on the saddle.

Cheers,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member

Hmmm

Post your name and address so that a local MTBR member can check on you and kick the crap out of you if you have been off the bike for more than 2 days. That'll get your mojo back!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member

Burn Out

I've been mountain biking for 18 years and have never really burnt out. I don't race I just ride for fun and it sounds like you aren't having any. Sometimes a new part or bike can get you stoked up again, but what really does it for me is a mountain bike holiday. I had a friend who would just up and quit all cycling every couple of years. He would sell his bikes and then get a new bike again in a few months. This was kind of expensive so keep yours and convert it to a fixie for a whole new kind of fun.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    try some trials, fun and looks cool, gives a great feeling of accomplishment when you learn something...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Go with it dude. Ride the road. You'll get the itch back to ride mt. and when you do it'll be virgin again. I rode strictyl mt. for years, then road and mt. equally. Now I commute. I probably hit trails 2x's/mos in off season and 4x's/mos during the season. 'Round here the fall and early winter and early spring is the best time to ride. Summer is generally poo for mt. mizzori