Building a SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Building a SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Building a SS

So I really want to build a SS. I've decided that I want to go 29 and steel also. I've partially decided to go with a Redline Monocog or a Kona Unit.

The Kona Unit is 799 with a frame only cost around 300.

The Redline Monocog is 499 with frame and fork cost around 250.

Here's my question: Is it worth building my own or is it much cheaper to buy the complete bike? I saw a build kit from pricepoint for 590.

I would love suggestions and comments. The reason for me building a bike is probably the same reason why many of you build your own bikes...its fun and gives you something to do.

Jon

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It is almost always cheaper to buy off the peg - at least until you start changing bits around! If you want a very specific build then custom is the way to go, but if you just wanna get going buy the complete bike.

Apr 2007
    It's almost always going to be cheaper to buy a complete. You also have to factor in the tools that you'll need for the build---Headset press, BB tool, chain tool, chain whip, lockring tool, cable/housing cutter, etc.

Pros of buying complete are: 1- No assembly required 2- Ride right away 3- LBS support for any issues arising from the assembly 4- Usually better value

Cons - 1- Components are usually cheaper, especially the headset and BB. 2- You don't gain any knowledge about putting a bike together.

If you have no interest in tinkering with building a bike, have limited funds and would rather ride right away, buy a complete. And speaking of, you should be comparing a Monocog Flight vs a Kona Unit. Both same price range, similar tubing, sliding dropouts, discs, etc. You should check on ebay or craigslist for the Flights. I know there is a guy on here looking to sell his Flight, maybe (medium size). But to add: Fun/buck factor, Monocog is hard to beat. I have an 08 and it's a sweet ride. Check around---You can do better than $499 for a Monocog.

But I will say that building up a bike is very satisfying. I've now built up 3 bikes from frame up, and it does have that "special" feeling.

Members who have read this thread: 0