Building Single Speed with Horizontal Dropout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Building Single Speed with Horizontal Dropout

I have a horizontal dropout that I want to make single speed. I am trying to avoid using a chain tensioner. I found a gear ratio very close to perfect and according to eehouse (great ss calculator) it is the closest I will get. I know about half links, eno hubs, and every other way to make it closer to fitting perfect. I don't want to pay for eno hub and I have seen a few forums that said you can file the axle or dropout. I think this will work but not exactly sure how to file it. Can someone please write a detailed description on how to do this or link me to a page that will allow it. Thanks.

Also I would rather file the axel not the dropout because I can get a new axle but not a new bike but if filing the dropout is more ideal than I can do that as well.

Downcountry AF
    with a proper hub you should not have to file anything. just get a bolt on hub from Surly or Hope, or even a QR hub with tug nuts would work just fine. example: i recently purchased a Surly Krampus that has horizontal drops. it came with a standard Shimano QR. no problem so far.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The whole point of horizontal drop outs is that they should work with single speed. Sure you're not thinking of vertical drop outs?

mtbr member
    read this and then re-think what you are asking- Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Sorry I am an Idiot I meant vertical dropout. I had horizontal dropouts on my mind and typed that

Downcountry AF
    still no need to file anything. get yourself a tensioner, that's what they're designed to do. if you really can't stand the thought of one for some odd reason, get yourself a SS frame.

the perfect gear will only last as long as your chain doesn't stretch, which for me is exactly 1/2 of the first ride on a new chain. so you will have wasted a lot of time and energy for a setup that is unlikely to work long term.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    if you don't like the look and feel of a hanger-mounted tensioner, look into a Blackspire Stinger.

mtbr member
    Magic Ratio is the answer, and usually possible without mutilating the bike.

It just requires the right combination of cogs and chainwheel.

There's nothing wrong with running a singlespeed chain a bit slack, provided you are using:
    1. singlespeed chainrings and cogs with taller teeth than derailleur gears. (Derailleur gears are designed to allow the chain to slip off easily - a bad thing for SS)
    2. singlespeed chain (Derailleur chains are designed to flex sideways easily to slip off the cogs - again a bad thing for an SS)
    3. straight chainline

Sometimes if you are close to getting it to fit, using a slightly worn chain will do the job.

However, it really is much simpler to just get a singlespeed frame - eBay your old one and put that towards a proper SS frame. Good frames can be bought new relatively cheap from On-One or Surly, so secondhand they are a screaming bargain.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland