Building a new single speed, what frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Building a new single speed, what frame?

Alright, well I've read a lot of the posts on here as to what frames folks like and etc and I'm still torn. I have a fully rigid 2011 niner one 9 and although I like the bike, for long rides I just can't handle the rigid fork. I love it for shorter rides, it's just not the endurance rig for me. I don't want to break the bike down and set it up suspension because I do really love riding it, I just want an additional bike. So, that being said I'd like to build an additional single speed with a suspension fork. I've never ridden a steel framed bike before so I was thinking about giving one of those a shot, especially for compliance as they say. Perhaps the older Sir 9, not the new one, or some other option. Biggest thing here is cost. I see the old Sir 9 for sale some places for around 799 or as low as 764, but I'd still like to find one a little cheaper, I'd buy a new one now if I could for around $650 with the warranty and such. I was hoping they'd be closing them out since the new Sir is out, but it doesn't look like it yet or they may not at all. I have about all the parts to set up the bike minus a rear cog, chain, front brake, seatpost/saddle and then the frame. I plan to run a lefty fork as that's what I have and that's what my wheelset matches, so the frame must be able to accommodate a stack height of 132mm or less, this is a necessity. Plus, the frame must match the 80mm travel of my fork, so no 120mm travel bikes. So the SIR, Karate Monkey and a few others would fit the bill for this. The KM is way cheaper, but also quite a bit heavier. Also, I kind of like the EBB versus the sliding dropouts. I'd consider sliding dropouts, I just generally like the EBBs.

The must haves for me are a size large, 132mm or less stack height of the headset, 80mm suspension fork geo and that's about it. I'm 6' tall and weigh in around 210 or so geared up.

What say ye? Is the Sir going to be too flexible for my size? What about other steel options besides the Sir and KM?

mtbr member
    That head tube requirement is going to be a tough one. The SIR 9 has a 125mm head tube, once you add a headset your going to be past 132mm. The KM is 110mm so even there your looking at a real low stack height headset. I think only the Crank Bros will fit your requirement. Most steel frames use standard head tubes so they will have a higher stack height.

I think the frame for you is a Salsa El Mariachi. It has a 110mm Zero Stack headtube so plenty of room for that fork. It's is designed for a 80-100mm fork. It's steel and about 5.5lbs for the Large frame. And the swing dropouts work really well for tensioning the chain.

Salsa Cycles | Bikes | El Mariachi SS
    Last edited by Bike Whisperer; 12-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cool, thanks! The old Sir has a 110mm headtube, the new Sir has the 125mm, so I'm pretty sure I could squeak by with a lefty on the old one.. I'll do a little research into the mariachis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have you thought about saving a little more and going custom? Walt Works is maybe $500 more and would check off all boxes on your requirement.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Have you thought about putting the Lefty on the One9 and making the steel bike the rigid? Singular Swift is a great frame in your price range, silent slip free ebb, and comes with a fork.

openwound
    OS Blackbuck. I've ridden a Swift and a now the Blackbuck, and I prefer the 'buck.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The on one inbred 29 has a HT of 105. I have an inbred 26 with 105 HT, with lefty and used a CK headset with I think a 2.5 spacer. You can't beat the price and the 29er has quite a few good reviews.

Edit.. Just looked and it's only a 1mm spacer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I did think about putting the lefty on the One 9 but it has the matching fork and all and I don't really feel like losing money selling the parts that really only match that frame. The OS looks sweet but has a 150mm long headtube so that's out. I'll have to look into the Singular, I have read some decent reviews on those. Are they to be used with a suspension fork or rigid only?

I also read some decent reviews on the On one, I'll have to read a little more on that one.

Thanks for all the input so far, I'm looking forward to hearing more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm not really interested in having one custom built as the wait time and cost are more than I want to deal with as of now. Perhaps in the future... The waltworks do look nice though..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    User "pimpbot" has a lefty on a Singular Swift.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/si...645042-15.html

I prefer EBB's as well. I love the one on my current One 9. I'm not sold on the pinch bolt type (like Singular's), though. Although I've not read any issues with Singlar's set up.

Members who have read this thread: 0