Building my new Surly- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Building my new Surly

Ok, I've spent a few days researching single speed frames and after looking at geometry, reviews, price etc I purchased a Surly 1x1. Should get it a few days. Now hears the rub, I'm rather ignorant so I need some more advice.
    I have a set of unused wheels and also got some mech disc hayes brakes on sale cheep. But now I'm short on cash and will take the next month or two to hunt through the classifieds and the sales to purchase the remaining parts.
    Now before I continue let me say I have a long term plan for my single speed endevours. I would also like to get an Intense Spider (I have a 5.5 rig already) and have duel single speeds where I have headsets and bottom brackets on both frames and simply swap parts when the mood suits me (haveing different chains and a chain tensioner for the FS rig). I know lofty goals huh!?
    So now for advice.
    I'm thinking a 80-100mm fork would suit this surly??
    I like my XT hollowtech cranks and think it would be real easy to swap them between frames so does Shimano do hollowtech for single speed?
    Good gear ratio for a newbie with medium skills and endurence?
    Would it be cheeper to replace the rear hub or get one of those convertors?

Thanks from a newbie
    (I'm sure I'll edit this as I think of new questions or realize how stupid my ??s are or my plan is)
    Last edited by muddywings; 06-08-2006 at 05:02 PM.

So now for advice.
    I'm thinking a 80-100mm fork would suit this surly?? Yes, either would work, depending on how slack/steep you like your head angle to be.
    I like my XT hollowtech cranks and think it would be real easy to swap them between frames so does Shimano do hollowtech for single speed? Not sure what you are asking, but you don't need a singlespeed-specific crank. The XT will work for the Surly.
    Good gear ratio for a newbie with medium skills and endurence? Some say 2:1, I'd suggest easier if you will be climbing a lot of hills. I like 32:18
    Would it be cheeper to replace the rear hub or get one of those convertors? Converters are usually much cheaper. Check ebay.

Members who have read this thread: 0