Building a Cysco custom Ti- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Building a Cysco custom Ti

I'm having Cysco Cycles build a custom frame to race SS in the upcoming race season. I currently ride an A9C and am probably going to set up the geometry identical to my Niner.

The details are as follows:
    Niner tapered fork Viana white- have
    Cane Creek zero stack headset- have
    Stan's Crest SS wheel set- ordered
    Niner carbon bar- have
    90 mm stem- have
    Ergon grips either GX1 or GP1-
    Lynskey Ti or Niner RDO seatpost (leaning towards Lynskey)
    Thomson seat post clamp
    WTB Rocket V saddle Ti rails- have
    Time carbon pedals- have
    XT brakes 2012- on order
    Bontrager 29 2 rear and 29 3 front TI TLR tires- have
    Not sure about crankset, but I may start off with current XT with Salsa 32 ring
    Enduro ceramic bearing BB
    SRAM PC1 chain
    19T cog not sure of brand yet

It may be ready for Snake Creek Gap in February or possibly even January. Any advise on this build is welcome. Pics to come.

~Jeremy
    Last edited by jeremy524; 12-21-2011 at 08:49 PM.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy524 View Post
    I'm having Cysco Cycles build a custom frame to race SS in the upcoming race season. I currently ride an A9C and am probably going to set up the geometry identical to my Niner.
    You'll love it. I was an A9C owner for awhile, and loved the geometry, but hated the EBB and the durability of carbon (I cracked it). So I had Independent Fabrication build me up a titanium frame based on the A9C's geo and with paragon slider dropouts. Also went with a 44 mm headtube to run tapered forks (sounds like you are too).

I find the Ti to be a lot more alive than the carbon in corners and a lot more 'planted' and 'secure' on descents on a frame with the same geo...to me it seems it instills more descending confidence. The cons are you'll gain some weight and lose some of that rocketship-like acceleration and power transfer that the stiff carbon (especially the massive downtube / BB area of the A9C) delivers. Tradeoffs. The titanium should obviously last you a whole heck of a lot longer too.

Your build list looks solid. All quality stuff.
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 12-13-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Tyrone,

Thank you for the post, that is exactly the type of feedback for which I was looking. My down tube will be oversized as well as the seat stays and chain stays. I'll have to see what the down tube will be, but the ss and cs will be 7/8". I'm hoping this will help with power transfer.

I love the geo of my Niner and have been pretty hard on it, but never cracked it. I did however break its scandium A9 predecessor. So if I can mainain the lion's share of the handling and power transfer with the ride of Ti, I will be ecstatic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had a Lynskey Pro29 2010, enjoyed it but was a little flexy. Got a A9C and loved it, but was a little bit to harsh on long endurance races that had some technical areas. Looked at the Moots RSL, thought about BlackSheep. Thought the Litespeed Cohutta looked very interesting. I have the frame and will build up soon. It's heavier than the Niner, but hope it will be somewhere in the middle of these two.
    Had not heard of your bike.Good luck, Ti is the way to go. I'm going to run the Problem Solvers PF EBB, hope it works well. I'm 6'2 185and ride a large.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Tyrone,

Thank you for the post, that is exactly the type of feedback for which I was looking. My down tube will be oversized as well as the seat stays and chain stays. I'll have to see what the down tube will be, but the ss and cs will be 7/8". I'm hoping this will help with power transfer.

Nice...coming from the A9C and wanting to lose as little power transfer as possible, I went with the 7/8" ss and cs tubing as well. I'm not sure what the down tube is. One thing to note is that I originally requested rocker style dropouts just because I like how they look compared to paragon sliders, but when it came down to it, the guys from Indy Fab called me up and said that the rockers were a bit 'flimsier' than the sliders (not as thick or something), and so knowing that I wanted to stiffer and burlier, am hard on equipment, and would mainly be SS-ing, they recommended I go with the sliders, so I did, and am happy with that decision.

here he is...post pics of yours when done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Cysco custom Ti-fresh-out-box.jpg  

Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wow Tyrone, that is a great looking frame. Do you have assembled pics?

Do you know how you get carried away when building bike? Well, it is happening to me. I'm thinking of the following:

Cranks- sweet wings (if I can be my hands on a set) or XTR 985s
    Wheels- Enve XC
    Stem- Enve
    Bars- Enve flat
    Seatpost- Enve or Syntace
    Brakes- XTR
    Rotors- Ai2

Everything else will be the same. If I do this I think I can get my bike down in the 17 pound range whle keeping it dependable. Any thoughts or recommendations? I'll be putting all my eggs in one basket here, but I'm having so much my rigid SS and can't wait to race this season.
    Last edited by jeremy524; 12-17-2011 at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just ordered the following:
    Easton ex90xc wheels
    XTR brakes
    Cane Creek zero stack headset

Chain stays and seat stays are bent. I should have frame pics in a few days.

Can't...contain...excitement...woooohoooo!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Its going to be sweet

mtbr member
    I'm building the gravel racer version over the next couple months. The only thing I'd change/recommend is the Eriksen Sweetpost over the Lynskey. Personal preference there, and it might make a difference which you choose based on your seatpost (i.e. carbon or oval rails).

Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Thinking about the Salsa Selma TI...Hope pro 2 hubs(red) laced to Arches or Mavics. Love the Niner brand (having 6 different frames) but time to go Ti....appreciate any feedback on TI frames not sold yet.....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Thinking about the Salsa Selma TI...Hope pro 2 hubs(red) laced to Arches or Mavics. Love the Niner brand (having 6 different frames) but time to go Ti....appreciate any feedback on TI frames not sold yet.....

I hope to have mine on the trail next weekend. I'll post my subjective opinion at that time

mtbr member
    I hope to have mine on the trail next weekend. I'll post my subjective opinion at that time
    A Selma Ti frame?..what size? I'm in between sizes at 5'8 190....How much are those frames?
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    A Selma Ti frame?..what size? I'm in between sizes at 5'8 190....How much are those frames?
    This is a Cysco cycle frame. Richie builds custom and standard geo frames. I'm the same height as you but am going with the Niner geo in medium save for a few minor tweaks. Everyone that has one of his bikes loves it. His speciality is building XC race machines.

Richie takes all your measurements, quizzes you on your riding style and terrain, etc. and then leads you down the path to determine all tube diameters and lengths and all angles. You select whatever headtube and BB you want. I went with tapered headtube and standard BB for simplicity.

http://cyscocycles.com/

Drop him a line or even give him a call (his number is on his site). Tell him I sent you.

~Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Building a Cysco custom Ti-cysco1.jpg

Here are a couple fuzzy pics of the frame. Richie polished the tubes before welding as I'm going to keep the weld discoloring. I'll get some better pics and post once the chain stays are welded in place.

My EC90XC wheels came in (pics to come) from Owen Cyclery. Let me tell you, they are awesome to behold. Very light and spin forever straight out of the box. The skewers were incredibly heavy. I ordered DT Swiss RWS skewers for stiffness but, I'll take the 70 grams of saved weight as a bonus.

I expect everything else to be in tomorrow (fingers crossed). I'm still up in the air about my seat tube post. I am now leaning towards the Thomson Elite since I sit very lightly when riding a SS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Cysco custom Ti-cysco2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Building a Cysco custom Ti-img_0014b.jpg

Frame is finished and has one of my new wheels attached to the rear. I ordered the wrong headset or I would be riding today. I've gotta get a pic of the chain and seat stays from the rear looking down. Talk about sexy

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    [ATTACH]Building a Cysco custom Ti-img_0024.jpg[/ATTACH]

Here is the somewhat finished product. I have changed the brakes to XTR and am waiting on a new saddle. I'm still working out the new bike fit, so when I get this dialed in I will change the stem. I'm also still trying to make my mind up concerning a crankset. Oh, and when I went to install my Enduro ceramic bottom bracket, the bearings were locked up...again. That's three times in a year. When I put the bearing on the spindle, I discovered there is quite a bit of clearance between the ID of the bearing and the spindle. So I've been running high dollar ceramic bushings However, one XT BB later and everything is buttery smooth.

I've ridden the bike twice. Once on the trail and the other yesterday at the Snake Creek Gap TT; 34 miles of hell. I'll post a ride report soon, but my immediate impression is that Ti is much more comfortable and less lively than the A9C is replaced.

Oh... and so far this beast is weighing in at 17.5 # with the saddle and pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Cysco custom Ti-img_0028.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks great! Few, if any, bikes beat the look of a rigid, ss, Ti. The Niner fork goes really well with it, too.