Build my Selma Ti - Fill in the blanks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Build my Selma Ti - Fill in the blanks

I want your opinion on how to build up my Selma Ti starting from scratch. All I have on order is a pair of Stans Crest rims. I would like to build it with respectable, strong, and relatively lightweight parts. It will be raced hard and likely crashed often. I'd prefer a matching component set...and a bit of bling/color. Consider my budget to be above beer but below champagne. Thanks in advance!

Specifications:

* Frame: Salsa Selma Ti (med)
    * Fork:
    * Headset:
    * Bar:
    * Brakes:
    * Grips:
    * Chain:
    * Crankset:
    * Bottom-bracket:
    * Freewheel/Cog:
    * Seatpost:
    * Saddle:
    * Skewers:
    * Tires:
    * Tubes:
    * Rims: Stans NoTubes Crest 29er
    * Hubs:
    * Pedals:

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's your bike! But here's my suggestions/how I'd build it

Specifications:

* Fork: Reba 29er
    * Headset: CK
    * Bar: Niner Carbon
    * Brakes: Avid BB7
    * Grips: ESI Chunky
    * Chain: 8spd
    * Crankset: Shimano slx/ with homebrewed ring
    * Bottom-bracket: Shimano
    * Freewheel/Cog: 20t homebrewed
    * Seatpost: Thomson
    * Saddle: WTB pure v
    * Skewers: shimano xt
    * Tires: kenda small block 8
    * Tubes: tubeless
    * Hubs: shimano xt
    * Pedals: crank bros

You forgot stem (thompson)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks!

sh*t eater
    Jan 2004
    Here is the build I'm doing (I'm transferring a lot of stuff over from my Scandium Selma frame.

Frame: Salsa Selma Ti (large)
    * Fork: Rock Shox Reba XX 29er 20mm, tapered
    * Headset: Cane Creek 110 ZS upper, 1.5" EC lower
    * Bar: Truvative Noir carbon
    * Brakes: Avid Elixir CR
    * Chain: Sram 990
    * Crankset: The Hive Fifteen.G
    * Bottom-bracket: Hive Fifteen.G
    * Freewheel/Cog: Chris King singlespeed cog
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    * Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
    * Skewers: Salsa
    * Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubeless ready
    * Tubes: -
    * Rims: Stans NoTubes Arch 29er
    * Hubs: Hope Pro2
    * Pedals: Time Atac Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you. How's the xx fork? Do you like the Hope hubs? I have time atacs and like them more than SPd and crank brothers. I'd be very curious to hear your feedback on the ride feel from the old to the new Selma. What are your expectations?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the suggestions so far, I'd go with either build or a mix and match of each to meet my personal budget. One thing I think I'd change is a Niner Carbon fork. In a perfect world I'd have both forks, I tend to tinker too much to stick to any single setup.

sh*t eater
    Jan 2004
    I'm still waiting on the frame so I can't offer up any comparisons yet. Same goes for the fork but I imagine the ride feel will be fairly similar to the Reba Team Dual Air that I had on the scandium frame. I do like the feel of the hydraulic lockout but I think it could be more gimmick that something that is truly needed.

As to the Hope hubs I find Hope to be great hubs. Great quality and performance at a reasonable price. No issues with the end caps which allow you to switch from 9mm to 20mm if you ever end up with a new fork and want to continue using your front hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    I'm still waiting on the frame so I can't offer up any comparisons yet. Same goes for the fork but I imagine the ride feel will be fairly similar to the Reba Team Dual Air that I had on the scandium frame. I do like the feel of the hydraulic lockout but I think it could be more gimmick that something that is truly needed.

As to the Hope hubs I find Hope to be great hubs. Great quality and performance at a reasonable price. No issues with the end caps which allow you to switch from 9mm to 20mm if you ever end up with a new fork and want to continue using your front hub.
    Can they also be adapted to accommodate 15mm thru axle? I think 20mm is overkill for the Selma.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. Just ordered a Niner fork. Still torn on the hub choice. Leaning towards 240s or I9 but they are so darn expensive. Also considering going with a cassette hub so I can throw gears on if I need them to run in open class races...although I don't like the idea of running spacers. I have run the BB7 brakes in the past but am considering Hydros. Are the hydros that much better than BB7? If so, are there any hyrdos that are that much better than other hydros? For instance are the CR worth the extra cost over Juicy 5?

mtbr member
    Just give me the frame and I'll build if for you and give it back when I'm done test riding it

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sure thing, I'll fedex it overnight...just please try not to break it

mtbr member
    Will do

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What's the best suspension fork going now? Is Fox putting out something that beats Rockshox? Or is DT Swiss the one to beat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    DanD, when you say "one thing I would change would be the niner carbon fork" 'do you mean you have this currently and would like something else or that you would like to have this fork on your bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon.ONeal
    DanD, when you say "one thing I would change would be the niner carbon fork" 'do you mean you have this currently and would like something else or that you would like to have this fork on your bike?
    Sorry, I meant that if it were my build I would want the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks. Just ordered a Niner fork. Still torn on the hub choice. Leaning towards 240s or I9 but they are so darn expensive. Also considering going with a cassette hub so I can throw gears on if I need them to run in open class races...although I don't like the idea of running spacers. I have run the BB7 brakes in the past but am considering Hydros. Are the hydros that much better than BB7? If so, are there any hyrdos that are that much better than other hydros? For instance are the CR worth the extra cost over Juicy 5?
    I9 owner here. Got to say I love it. Craftmanship is great, colors you can get whatever you want. Now the best part is the engagement. Very importat to me at least on a SS. Did I already mentioned I love the I9 wheels? I'f you can afford it I say go for it you wont regret it.
    As far as brakes I was debating the same thing as you for my build and decided after a bit of research to give the Hygia Usagi a chane. Hydro brakes/Light/and fairly inexpensive. Best decition I ever made. Love the modulation, no fadding and I'm 220#s. Saved myself some money to send it on other areas of the bike. So my suggestion is to consider those.

Best of luck. Should be a nice build.

* Fork: Reba 29er
    * Headset: CK
    * Bar: Carbon straihgt bar. Easton/FSA/Niner/If you find a Syntace on Ebay those a great.
    * Brakes: Hygia Usagi. Good brakes and light.Inexpensive.
    * Grips: Ergon
    * Chain: That's very personal.
    * Crankset: XT crank arms with Homebrew chaing ring. Your choice of color
    * Bottom-bracket:
    * Freewheel/Cog: Homebrew with te color spider of your choice
    * Seatpost: Thomson
    * Saddle: Very personal
    * Skewers: DT Swiss
    * Tires:
    * Tubes: What's that?
    * Hubs: I9
    * Pedals: Shimano SPD

AEC
    mtbr member
    This is what i just built up my Niner One 9 with. Love it so far. Good Luck!

* Fork: Reba Team 29 XX with Xloc
    * Brakes: Hayes Stroker Gram - Cleansweep X
    * Crankset: Fifteen G/The Hive 175 mm 34T
    * Pedals: Eggbeaters
    * Stem: Thomson Elite X4
    * Handlebar: Easton EC90 XC
    * Water Bottle Vincero Design Magnet
    * Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    * Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
    * Seatpost Clamp: Woodman Deathgrip SL Ti
    * Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
    * Chain Sram
    * Front Tire: SCHWALBE Racing Ralph 2.25
    * Skewers USE Tula SpinStix
    * Rear Tire: SCHWALBE Racing Ralph 2.25
    * Spacers American Classic
    * Cog American Classic
    * Sealant Stans Notube Sealeant
    * Front Wheel Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Wheelset American Classic Hub
    * Rear Wheel Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Wheelset American Classic Hub
    Total Weight on a Niner One 9 (21.45lbs)

Total Weight Lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the input on the I9 Hub/wheelset and other suggestions. It's interesting to hear about the Homebrew components since I've never heard of them before. I like the idea of having a quality component and adding a bit of color wouldn't hurt the monotone color scheme of the Ti Selma. Going to go with the Ergon team grips w/magnesium barends. I've never heard of the Hygia Usagi brakes and there isn't a whole lot on the internet on them but the feedback seems positive. I wonder how they compare to the Juicy 5. Likely going with XTR cranks. Carbon bar option sounds good too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the input on the I9 Hub/wheelset and other suggestions. It's interesting to hear about the Homebrew components since I've never heard of them before. I like the idea of having a quality component and adding a bit of color wouldn't hurt the monotone color scheme of the Ti Selma. Going to go with the Ergon team grips w/magnesium barends. I've never heard of the Hygia Usagi brakes and there isn't a whole lot on the internet on them but the feedback seems positive. I wonder how they compare to the Juicy 5. Likely going with XTR cranks. Carbon bar option sounds good too.
    Not a problem. Anything to help a fellow SSpeeder. As far as those Hygia compared to the Juicy 5 I like the Hygia better. I have XO brakes on my back up bike and I like the Hygia better. I have no complaints over the brakes. Modulation is great and one finger braking. Can't ask for more from $150.00.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    AEC, I can see why you love the One9. Unique build and the blue white fork combo looks awesome. Your Ray's park video was great too. (checked out your "Ride High" blog).

AEC
    mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm excited to see how yours turns out. Love those Salsa Selma's.
    Unfortunately i can't take credit for that video. Stole it from YouTube

Low Rep Count
    Hmmm, weight vs funding.

I won't build the whole bike but I will offer a few quick suggestions.

XT or XTR modded crank (M960 is my fav)
    KCNC seat post (lighter than Thompson for same price and so far mine has not bent and it is at max height!) basically has the same internal design as the Thompson but is thinner.
    Ritchey WSC stem (lighter than Thompson at costs a little less)
    Niner carbon fork if going rigid. Best fork out there right now (I have a White Brothers and am hoping to swap to a Niner by next fall)
    Chain is up to you but I am very happy with my x9sl KMC
    Run tubeless to save some weight and headache
    Tires: Hmm, depends on terrain
    Seat: full carbon if you can get away with it or a Flight
    Brakes: Elixir R or CR both are nice
    Hubs: Love the Hopes! White Industries are nice but stuck with a fw if running the Eno's like I have
    Bars: Something carbon and shoot for something under 130 grams. Lots out there

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks 1SPD! I'll look into the KCNC seat post. I will very likely be going with a carbon bar and seatpost. I found a lot of options here. I am leaning towards the Truvativ Noir World cup riser bar and post. I like a wider bar, around 650mm and will run ergon team grips w/barends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So the frame "may" arrive in April or possibly May so I'll have plenty of time to contemplate all of the possibilities. Thanks to all that have contributed thus far. Please continue to send your input on the ultimate "micro brew beer budget" setup.

Low Rep Count
    My KCNC post is lighter than most carbon posts out on the market unless you are dropping big $$. I picked up my post on ebay for $88 shipped new. Normally they are right around $100. I understand wanting to keep with the same brands but alot of that went out the window for me when I started trying to shave weight on my set up.

I know that Truvativ has come a long way since they started out but for me, I just can't get past their cheesy parts from back in the day. I do love their carbon crank though. Nothing wrong with most of their stuff now days though I am thinking that their higher end stuff is getting quite pricey.

Good luck with the build.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I want your opinion on how to build up my Selma Ti starting from scratch. All I have on order is a pair of Stans Crest rims. I would like to build it with respectable, strong, and relatively lightweight parts. It will be raced hard and likely crashed often. I'd prefer a matching component set...and a bit of bling/color. Consider my budget to be above beer but below champagne. Thanks in advance!
    Just to mess with you, I would've suggested parts that wouldn't have been compatible, or else made stuff up completely. But the time for shenanagins has passed, and I quasi-apologize.

Of course, you're still obliged to post the obligatory photos and due updates whenever a build is mentioned.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    erik1245, good stuff. In a way I wish the time hadn't passed, we could all use a laugh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So, here is the current plan: I've changed my mind on the fork and am now considering other rims/wheelsets and a Red/White/Polished aluminum theme. The I-9 Wheelset w/Red hubs and spokes looks nice and stiff but is pricey. If I were to go with Stans rims I'd likely choose the Arch for durability in white. I'm also considering going with polished aluminum all around w/cranks (ENO) and stem/seatpost (Thomson) although I'm not sure how this would look next to Ti. Building a bike is turning out to be quite a task. Who knew spending so much money would be so difficult. Maybe I should just stick with my trusty Monocog and call it a day

* Fork: RockShox Reba XX Dual Air 29'' 100mm, Tapered, with XLoc White, 9
    * Headset: Cane Creek (are there any other 44mm options?)
    * Bar: TruVativ Noir WC Riser Bar, 620x15mm rise 9x5d 31.8 Carbon
    * Brakes: Avid Elixir X.0 Black/Red 160mm
    * Grips: Ergon GX-2 Magnesium Barends
    * Chain: SRAM
    * Crankset: ENO Single Speed Crank, polished
    * Bottom-bracket: unsure
    * Ring: ENO 32t
    * Cog: Chris King 12t
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2 x 410mm Silver
    * Stem: Thomson X4 Silver
    * Saddle: Selle Flite
    * Skewers: XTR
    * Tires: going to need mud tires this spring here in New England. Nobby Nic..
    * Rims: Stans Arch
    * Hubs: I-9, DT Swiss 240s / single speed or possibly cassette hub w/spacers
    * Pedals: Eggbeater 2

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    * Ring: ENO 32t
    * Cog: Chris King 18t
    Fixed it for you... I guess you typed it wrong?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just checking to see who's paying attention. I wonder what the tip speed is on a 32/ 12t combo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Where did you order your frame. I did not know they were available yet

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Per the advice of a fellow cyclist I won't be going with the White Ind crank since according to this source it's "kind of a step backwards if you are starting from scratch. The ENO crank uses a square taper BB which is pretty old technology. You would be better off going with an external BB crank and benefiting from the added stiffness."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ordered the frame through a guy that works at a bike shop that can order Salsa frames for sponsored riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So should I use an old pair of beatup XTR 952 Cranks and Shimano Xtr M952 Bottom Bracket or buy a new external BB setup?

nothing to see here
    Selma Ti seems to be out of stock everywhere. I've got a mate who's chasing one for Australia.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok, so I have a curveball - I came across an opportunity to pick up a Niner Air Carbon for about the same price as the Selma Ti. Which frame would you choose and why?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd go with the A9C. But then again I'm partial to niner. I ride a One9 and love it. The geometry, the stiffness of the frame. How it handles. I like the versatility of the A9C can be run either SS or geared. Internal routed cables. The 5 year warranty niner offers is a great peace of mind. For the warranty to be honor though You have to have bought from an authorized dealer. If you are buying it from a friend and he's willing to help u with that then u r golden. And the way the bike just looks. I must say I don't know much about the Selma so again I'm very bias. But on the end go for what you feel is gonna make u happy. If you could demo both bikes with similar set ups would be the best. Either way I think you can't go wrong. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the input. This frame would be new from a shop with warranty. I like the dropouts on the Selma but don't like the non geared factor. I plan to race with gears at the ultimate xc at mount tremblant so this would mean getting a different geared bike or figuring out how to get cable stops on the Selma. I also plan on doing several long distance 50 & 100 milers this year and wonder how the carbon will be compared to the titanium in regards to absorbing trail chatter over many miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    http://twentynineinches.com/2010/09/...n-impressions/
    There's some interesting reading. Have at it. All I can say if it is anything like the One9 you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    May 2005

selma ti

Brown Santa just delivered a Selma ti- wooooow is it sweet looking!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth!
    Brown Santa just delivered a Selma ti- wooooow is it sweet looking!
    Can't see pics yet, for some reason...
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    * Fork: Reba
    * Headset: Chris King
    * Bar: Salsa Carbon Flat
    * Brakes: BB7
    * Grips: Ergon
    * Chain: PG-1091
    * Crankset: X0 2x10
    * Bottom-bracket: Chris King
    * Freewheel/Cog: Sram
    * Seatpost: Kent Eriksen Sweetpost
    * Saddle: Whatever fits your butt good
    * Skewers: Salsa...duh Winning
    * Tires: RaRas
    * Tubes: none Stan's
    * Hubs: Chris King
    * Pedals: Time Attakxc

mtbr member
    Specifications:

* Fork: Dean ti rigid or Lynskey carbon
    * Headset: CK green
    * Bar: ti
    * Brakes: Hope M4
    * Grips:
    * Chain: 7X
    * Crankset: tune or Boone ti twist
    * Bottom-bracket: tune
    * Freewheel/Cog: Boone ti
    * Seatpost: Moots or tune
    * Saddle:
    * Skewers: tune
    * Tires:
    * Tubes:
    * Hubs: tune
    * Pedals:CB 4ti
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went with a Niner Air9 Carbon with an industry nine wheelset. Planning on picking up the bike next week and will post the specs and pics. Would still love to try the Selma Ti but couldnt resist the urge to jump on the Niner band wagon. Thanks again for all your recommendations!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I went with a Niner Air9 Carbon with an industry nine wheelset. Planning on picking up the bike next week and will post the specs and pics. Would still love to try the Selma Ti but couldnt resist the urge to jump on the Niner band wagon. Thanks again for all your recommendations!
    Can I have your Selma, then?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Haha, I never actually received the order. Production was backed up. If I had received it you would have been more than welcome to have it since I believe that the more you give, the more you get.

mtbr member
    May 2005

salsa selma

Ummm Selma is singleseed only (no del, mounts or hanger)
    I just got mine in and it is SWEEEET!!!! will post pics today
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great, please post the pics! I love the fat downtubes and dropout system.

Members who have read this thread: 0