Budget Rigid SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Budget Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Budget Rigid SS

I'm looking to get into Mountain Biking, but I need a little help. After some research, I've decided to go with a Rigid SS for a couple of reasons; simplicity and hopefully build up better technique. Unfortunately my budget is fairly low, somewhere around $350, give or take. I live in Orlando and am 5'10", 155lbs.

I don't really know what to look for used, but I've come up with the Motobecane Outcast 29 in the new category. After reading reviews, it seems like a good bike with a few sub par components. Any other recommendations, used or new? And maybe a few tips on what I should look for? Thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have always liked the redline monocog for value and upgradability. I think they are a little bit more initially, but with the outcast you will not be able to use disc brakes. Also I think a cheap cromoly frame is going to be a lot nicer than a cheap aluminum frame. You will end up spending a lot more in the long run with the motobecane. Then again, buying a cheap bike and gradually building a completely custom bike lets you pick out parts you really like, however I think you would be a lot happier riding a decent bike out of the box. You could probably find a late model one for not too much. I currently ride a Surly 1x1, and I love it. Heavy tubing, but bombproof. I love ridid bikes with fat tire clearance.

ps. It looks like Bikes Direct is selling the SE Stout 29er for 399. Looks pretty comparable to the redline parts wise.

Life is Go0d!
    You can get into a used monocog on that budget.. easily. With cash left for other goodies. Cragslist, and the classifieds here.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    You can get into a used monocog on that budget.. easily. With cash left for other goodies. Cragslist, and the classifieds here.
    Yes and steel frame is much better riding.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have an outcast, but it needed about $100 in parts to make it trail worthy. It is a good bike though. You can find 26" redlines for well in your budget & 29ers just in your budget.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I second the used Monocog 29er (actually,that would be 5th,mrthinks )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The only Redline Monocog I can find anywhere near me is an '08 and it's about 2 hours away. It's also $400 which is a little over what I'm looking to spend.

Any other decent recommendations? I'll be going to my LBS to see if they have any Monocogs in stock tomorrow or the next day.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You could always get an older rigid bike and convert it. The Shimano Alfine chain tensioner is only 20 buck on jenson.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Yes and steel frame is much better riding.
    Not so sure about this due to the Monocog'sstraight guage tubing. I rode a cog most of the year and am now on a rigid Scandal which is aluminum and there really isn't much of a difference. Maybe a butted, thin walled, noodly steel frame is more compliant but not the cog. Besides, that compliance is energy wasted that could be going to the ground

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Bacon
    You could always get an older rigid bike and convert it. The Shimano Alfine chain tensioner is only 20 buck on jenson.

Also by the end of the year; we will have in 2 different rigid single speeds under $350 delivered

Both with disc tabs

One is aluminum and one is steel

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Also by the end of the year; we will have in 2 different rigid single speeds under $350 delivered

Both with disc tabs

One is aluminum and one is steel
    That's great news, I think I might wait it out to see what comes out. Thank you for the replies.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    motobecane sucks , have you read the reviews for it ? anyways if you are going to get anything from bike direct get the Stout Se 9er
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    motobecane sucks , have you read the reviews for it ? anyways if you are going to get anything from bike direct get the Stout Se 9er
    Nothing makes Nucky more angry than a motobecane. Don't tell him if you buy one.

bikesdirect- are they both going to be 29ers?

OP- Pick up an older specialized Rockhopper. Buy some SD7s from pricepoint. It'll be a great starter, great intermediate and great advanced bike. It'll be something that you won't have to upgrade for a while and you could probably get one nicely equipped and upgraded for less than 200. In fact, methinks there are several floating around on ebay right now, and on the steel ones, you won't need a tensioner...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    After browsing my local(Orlando) Craigslist, I've come to 2 bikes that I'm curious about. A 26" Gary Fisher Wahoo and a 26" GaryFisher Tassajara. How do those bikes perform and is the price decent? If they are, would they be worth converting to a SS(If at all possible)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Go with the Stout

I ordered the se Stout from bikes dirrect last month. So far it seems to be a great bike. It comes with disk tabs and hubs for easy brake upgrade. Also can be set up with gears if you change your mind about the SS thing. I installed some lock on grips and sunline platform pedals and left the rest of the stock equipment on. Nice bike for the money.

Also, when I received the bike it was missing the chain tensioner/hanger assembly. Bikesdirect replaced the missing part fast and with no hassles.
    There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, I ordered the outcast with the sliders and the downtube was welded off center to the
    headtube. junky junk, sent it back and went with a dillinger. peace out.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Nothing makes Nucky more angry than a motobecane. Don't tell him if you buy one.

OP- Pick up an older specialized Rockhopper. Buy some SD7s from pricepoint. It'll be a great starter, great intermediate and great advanced bike. It'll be something that you won't have to upgrade for a while and you could probably get one nicely equipped and upgraded for less than 200. In fact, methinks there are several floating around on ebay right now, and on the steel ones, you won't need a tensioner...
    well the Se stout is a steel frame , the fork is really heavy or so I hear but for i think $400 you get a good bike with disk brake tabs unlike the outcast 29er type 1

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds
    After browsing my local(Orlando) Craigslist, I've come to 2 bikes that I'm curious about. A 26" Gary Fisher Wahoo and a 26" GaryFisher Tassajara. How do those bikes perform and is the price decent? If they are, would they be worth converting to a SS(If at all possible)?
    Meh, both OLD and low-end...if you're going SS, go 29er it really is better. Outcast is really low-end and not really worth upgrading down the road imo....Stout with steel frame or Monocog....or something used....be patient and you'll find the right bike that fits you well. While you're looking save a little more money if you need to, maybe do some sidejob, odd jobs to get a lil extra cash.

Forgot to mention that I don't like the older Genesis geometry of Gary Fisher bikes, the newer G2 geometry is much better handling to me. Either way not really a fan of GF geometry.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-30-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    To the OP,

I have the Motobecane 29er and love it to death but I have also put in about $200 to get it where I want it. (chainring, freewheel, chain, pedals, fork, stem, handlebar, bar-ends, seat-post, seat, and new rear tire)

I will have to agree that the SE Stout is a WAYYY better buy based on its component listing. My buddy bought the bike, and I helped put it together and was shocked too see what that extra 50 bucks will land you; it lands you a lot!

But I am curious to see what BD will put out with their new $350 SS's.

Bryan D

PS - whatever bike you get, always remember that "Haters Gonna Hate." If what you got has you smiling, then ride on.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth

Yes - both 29ers

Steel [full 4130 crm-moly] is a Dawes called the Deadeye - has disc tabs and rear der hanger

Aluminum 6061 is called the Windsor Cliff 29.1 - has 4130 fork; disc tabs

Both have very nice components for SS under $700
    Both have minimal decaling
    Both come in four sizes and two colors
    Both are made by one of the top three factories in the biz {who also builds for most other top brands}
    Both are on the water right now and should land before Dec 31st
    Deadeye will be $349.95 delivered in the 48 states {AK & HI - a bit more}
    Cliff 29.1 will be $369.95 and comes with Disc Brakes {Bike more in HI & AK} --
    CLIFF 29.1 JUST LANDED - LOOKS GREAT AND RIDES GREAT TOO - I AM VERY HAPPY - SHOULD BE ON SITE BY DEC 14TH

I am very serious about the the SS 29er business and I think people will find these two bikes to be the best deals around
    Last edited by bikesdirect; 12-10-2009 at 04:47 AM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    if you want to spend around 500 you could get a KHS or a GT peace 9er but the best deal buy far is the kona unit for around 700 , best parts out of all

Ovaries on the Outside
    Aww. I was hoping for a 26" out of one of those.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    I rode a cog most of the year and am now on a rigid Scandal which is aluminum and there really isn't much of a difference.
    I bet you have trouble telling the difference between "Fancy Ketchup" and Hienz too,huh? I mean,they both go on french fries,both are red-ish,but... It's OK,Bro...some people really can't. If that aluminum frame is keeping you happy,mo power to ya's,but don't lie to the boy.

Sudds,on the Monocog subject (no,I don't own one...not a new enough of one-or big enough wheels-to be relevant anyways,but my d440 29er is Redline,so I may be a bit biased),talked to an LBS friend the other day,quoted me $500 out the door on either a 26er or 29er M'cog,FWIW.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    if you want to spend around 500 you could get a KHS or a GT peace 9er but the best deal buy far is the kona unit for around 700 , best parts out of all
    Unfortunately, $500 is out of my budget. I'm a college student and can barely afford food as is. The mountain bike is a huge luxury and I can only set aside so much money.

Thanks for the response, looks like I'll be waiting for Bikes Direct to get the bikes in before I make any decision. In the mean time, I'll check my local LBS for a Redline Monocog.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Don't feel discouraged,my friend,you'll find what yer looking for with a little shopping around and patience...AND you'll be thankful later in life you went to/stuck with college

I know I'll get flogged over this,and I have absolutely no person experience with Motobecane (or anyone who knows anyone who owns one),just what I've read online. I've read lots of bad things about em (and carefully check the specs,especially the gearing on their SS's),but I Googled info on them,and here's a link to a 2 year old/ongoing blog about this one gent and his experience with his... http://www.motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/ ...he seems to be very happy with his,and hasn't spent a great lot in the way of upgrades/flashier parts. Granted,his is a tad bit more $ than your budget,but it might be relevant to the less expensive models as well. Also,if you aren't particular between a chromo-steel or aluminum frame,don't rule out the Nashbar 29er SS...the only negatives I've read on it are from bike snobs who've never thrown a leg over one...the owners who've written about em here (and abroad) had nothing but good to say for the investment. And of course,as mentioned,don't rule out buying used,there may be some stinkbugs around,but there are some great deals too (I have personally seen Monocog 29ers go for your budget or a little less...but always when I'm broke,LOL!)

Good luck,Bro. I hope you find what you're looking for,and please keep us updated (this reminds me of when I bought my first non-Kmart bike back in the late 80's in high s'kool),even if by PM. If there's anything I can do to help,lemme know

Steve
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Date: 2009-12-01, 1:27PM EST
    Reply to: sale-nvrzh-1490014256@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000 Airborne Skyhag Single Speed Mountain Bike. 19" size & Reynolds 853 Steel frame.
    Oury grips, Topo riser bars, Salsa Moto Ace stem, Answer Manitou Suspension fork,
    Shimano Deore cranks & brake levers, Bmx style pedals, Shimano Deore XT V-brakes,
    Airborne Special Edition Embriored saddle, Sun Rhino Rims with White Industries front hub,
    Surly 1x1 rear hub, IRC Mythos XC tires & 41t x 18t drive train. Spare 34t chainring included.
    In great condition, plenty of thread on tires and true rims. True single speed, not a convert.
    $$$325.00 O.B.O.

Here ya go..
    Lose the classic suspension fork..pick one up at the LBS used or take off..there like $10
    and your rolling..

Feeling retro..but Jung
    1996 Trek 6000 Mountain Bike 16.5 Frame - $150 (College Park)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2009-11-30, 11:56AM EST
    Reply to: sale-y3yrq-1488100242@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Up for sale is a 1997 Trek 6000 mens bike. Frame size is 16.5 inch. This frame should fit anyone between 5'5 and 5'9. It's been in storage for a few years and needs to go.
    Rock Shox Jett T2 Long Travel fork, Shimano lx rear derailleur. Other parts are shimano alivio. Tektro v-brakes. May need new cables/housing or shifter work because they are not shifting all the way.

Wheels are straight and in true
    Includes wellgo clipless pedals (can put on flat pedals upon request)
    Also includes womens specific Serfas saddle (can put on a men's saddle upon request)

$150 obo cash.

or this with money to convert..

mtbr member
    I think either the Mono or Outcast are great options. As someone else mentioned surf Craigslist, maybe able to come across a fantastic deal!!!

Moderator Moderator
    May 2009
    Check Performance for a GT Peace; this bike has a decent steel frame and solid components. Performance has it on sale frequently, and with their 20% off days plus 10% back, you should be able to find one in your price range. Also lifetime free adjustments and 100% return policy.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I highly recommend the Monocog 29'er (used).

Also look at the older Bianchi ss'ers, granted they are 26" which I'd rather use a suspension fork with but you may score one with a squishy fork or upgrade later.
    Last edited by jdg; 12-02-2009 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You can find the redline monocog on ebay for sub $300 shipped. The outcast is a great bike too, you just have to get it set up right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just a curiosity question. If I ever decide to use whatever bike I end up purchasing as a road bike, would I be able to just swap out the tires and have a decent road bike that will work for long distances?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Depends on your expectations on a road bike...it will never be a sub-16lb skinny tired race machine,but it would make a comfortable all day rider. I have been thinking the exact same thing,having an extra wheelset...all I'd need would be another 9spd cassette,185mm rotor and some 'Cross tires
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Ovaries on the Outside
    I've done several 100+ miles on mtbs and I regularly commute on them to. They work great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Any opinions on this bike? Specialized Rockhopper

Would it be worth converting that to a SS and possibly Rigid?

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    heres my 2 cents...i got the outcast last year, reason being i was a newbie, probably still am, and was afraid 2 spend much $$, in case i didnt like mtb ing. i fully recomend going the few extra bux, and enter the next level. i spend a coupla hundred on upgrades, which is cool, but it pays to enter with maybe a monocog, gt peace, etc. just pick out if u want steel or alum, its up 2 u

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's hard to beat the Outcast for price if you're buying new. If you haven't been riding high-end bikes already, it should feel fine, and they look good. "Steel is real" seems to be in vogue again, but I'll take a stiff-ass aluminum frame over a noodly steel one any day. The OEM forks are not good for a rider of my beef and style, though- too long and too flexy. If you're heavy and like to rail the corners, a fork upgrade will be necessary.

I haven't been around here long, but I gather that BD and Motobecanes are a contentious subject... I've bought two bikes from BD, and both of them needed the wheels trued, one more than the other. One bike came with a wheel that was definitely rejected from the assembly line- the rim had a great gooshy gouge out of it, and that may be why the wheel robot went apes*** and spun some of the spokes so tight I couldn't get them loose... Anyways, it's a good thing I'm a wheel master, or I would have been pissed. As it is, I like both of the bikes and consider them a good deal, even if there's some work involved with getting them trailworthy.

^^^Razin Cane, you use too many abbreviations, but I agree with you- it's better to get your foot in the door with something a little bit nicer than the Outcast if you're really going to be riding the thing- I'm in mine around $700 now, and the bike is nothing to write home about- the C-dale SL 5 at $800 is a better deal, but I have the satisfaction of riding a cheapo frame. (I'd much rather be the dood going big on the beater than the dood watching on the most expensive bike- I've ran it both ways)

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    cykovski, i am also a beefy one, or, as they so eloquently put it on here, a clydesdale. dont get me wrong, i am very happy with the outcast, and i am very rough on it, especially at 240 lbs. anything i have asked it to do, no prob, hills, sandy roads (lots of sand here in jersey) rocks, roots, whatever. what i will probably end up doing is keep hammering with the outcast for another season or two, then maybe go 4 a higher end single speed, like the fisher rig, karate monkey, niner, selma, whatever. or, as i tend to be loyal, lets c what bikes direct offers in a year or 2 on the motobecanes. this year, 4 example, the outcast now has disc brakes, and the option of gears (heaven 4 bid lol)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb349
    I ordered the se Stout from bikes dirrect last month. So far it seems to be a great bike. It comes with disk tabs and hubs for easy brake upgrade. Also can be set up with gears if you change your mind about the SS thing. I installed some lock on grips and sunline platform pedals and left the rest of the stock equipment on. Nice bike for the money.

Also, when I received the bike it was missing the chain tensioner/hanger assembly. Bikesdirect replaced the missing part fast and with no hassles.

+1 on the SE Stout. Do a search on my username and you can see the pics and ride reports. And believe me, it is not heavy for a steel 29er. The only mod I did was a set of BB5s and Shimano 520 pedals.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Unfortunately, $500 is out of my budget. I'm a college student and can barely afford food as is. The mountain bike is a huge luxury and I can only set aside so much money.

Thanks for the response, looks like I'll be waiting for Bikes Direct to get the bikes in before I make any decision. In the mean time, I'll check my local LBS for a Redline Monocog.
    ok then you might want a bike with high aluminum content because ive see where college students leave there bikes... outside...in the perils of the elements. i guess a Motardbecane wouldnt be a bad Idea if your mostly going to be on the roads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode the snot and piss out of my Outcast until I built my On-One Inbred. I still have my Outcast now affectionately called "The Camping Bike".

The Outcast does need improvements over some of the cheap components, but you can also ride it right out of the box and have fun all the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Frame and fork $10 at the salvage yard

Wheels on ebay for $80

Bar, levers, headset, BB, crank, chain, tires, seat, post, grips $150

Brakes $0

$240
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Rigid SS-gt-timberline.jpg  

Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    That's great news, I think I might wait it out to see what comes out. Thank you for the replies.

Now in

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff29_1.htm

AZ
    banned

Just found my new winter bike , thanks .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by duotone

Wheels on ebay for $80

Brakes $0

$240
    Looks sweet!
    That's exactly the type of prices I'm looking for.
    I'll have to do a search of salvage yards in my area and see if they have anything.

AZ
    banned
    /\Look for horizontal or semi horizontal dropouts , makes the job simple .

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    needs more steel

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks great, think I found my new bike! Any news on when the other 29er SS will be in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Any opinions on the new Windsor Cliff 29.1 BikesDirect has? I assume noone owns one yet, but how does the part list look compared to other, similarly priced bikes(Redlne Monocog?)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

just got me 1 of these

Good price ride ok so far, moree irdes when work permits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Rigid SS-photo0361.jpg  

29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Yes - both 29ers

Steel [full 4130 crm-moly] is a Dawes called the Deadeye - has disc tabs and rear der hanger

Aluminum 6061 is called the Windsor Cliff 29.1 - has 4130 fork; disc tabs

Both have very nice components for SS under $700
    Both have minimal decaling
    Both come in four sizes and two colors
    Both are made by one of the top three factories in the biz {who also builds for most other top brands}
    Both are on the water right now and should land before Dec 31st
    Deadeye will be $349.95 delivered in the 48 states {AK & HI - a bit more}
    Cliff 29.1 will be $369.95 and comes with Disc Brakes {Bike more in HI & AK} --
    CLIFF 29.1 JUST LANDED - LOOKS GREAT AND RIDES GREAT TOO - I AM VERY HAPPY - SHOULD BE ON SITE BY DEC 14TH

I am very serious about the the SS 29er business and I think people will find these two bikes to be the best deals around

Bikesdirect,any word on the Deadeye yet? Pics? Spec? $349 shipped to lower 48??? WOW
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    Bikesdirect,any word on the Deadeye yet? Pics? Spec? $349 shipped to lower 48??? WOW
    Just came in
    Price will be $319 delivered

Should be up on site by Friday I hope

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanks for the quick reply,Mike
    I'm right clicking and saving the pics to look at until I know what my budget around tax time is...I've had some semi-serious vehicle issues the last couple weeks that might affect that budget,but there should still be plenty there to convert my stock Redline wheelset to 'cross tires for more road friendly rides without running my 2.3" tires (just swapping the wheels as needed for that day ),and there should be enough to cover one of these

I'll keep in touch as the time draws nearer,via PM. Thanks again,Bro,mucho-appreciated

EDIT: Just sent you a PM.
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 01-04-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by duotone

Wheels on ebay for $80

Brakes $0

$240
    best grips, ever. I bought a set of those back in 2006 and i'm still using them. They're firm enough but not too firm, they dont slip on the bars, and they dont disinegrate in a month like every other grip i've had.
    They actually outlasted the frame, and they're now on my new bike.

OP: look for a used Haro Mary. I know some people who scored them for around 500 new, so i dont think 350 used is out of the question. Really cool bike, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think I may have found my bike, but I have got a couple quick questions. I'm looking at getting a Raleigh XXIX.

Is it possible to change the Quick Release on both wheels to a Bolt On?

And is that a good deal, taking into account shipping and whatnot?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sudds; 01-20-2010 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008

KHS Solo One SE

Just got back from my first singletrack ride on it, and loved the experience. Gonna put my egg beaters on though. Nice compliant steel ride with steel fork gobbled up the rocks, roots, and logs. I think the vertical dropouts and sliders are OK though. You just have to adjust your brake when you are done. They are actually discontinued, so if there are any left, you might get a really good deal like I did.

mtbr member
    I think I may have found my bike, but I have got a couple quick questions. I'm looking at getting THIS bike on Ebay.

Is it possible to change the Quick Release on both wheels to a Bolt On?

And is that a good deal, taking into account shipping and whatnot?

Thanks.
    I would say thats its a good deal even with shipping.
    But why go with Bolt On's?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The bike is going to be used to commute to my College Campus(pretty low crime rate), as well as a Mountain Bike and I do not want to have to lock up the wheels separately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    There's no reason to go with bolt on's with the raleigh. Don't do it.

mtbr member
    The bike is going to be used to commute to my College Campus(pretty low crime rate), as well as a Mountain Bike and I do not want to have to lock up the wheels separately.
    That is a good idea. I never got to commute by bike to college, but the idea of anything quick release on a bike left out seems silly to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    And before I make my decision, how does the 2008 Raleigh XXIX compare spec wise? I'm pretty much set on it but a little more re-assurance would help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Finally made the pruchase. Bought the 2008 Raleigh XXIX, seems like a great deal and I won't have to mess around with getting disc brakes installed. Thanks for all the responses.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the purchase!

You can always get some Halo Key Skewers, along with running a lock through the wheels for some assurance. But if someone is going to want to steal something, it won't matter if you have QR or bolt-on variant, they will steal it.

That is going to be the prettiest bike in the school rack... my commuter is a POS for a reason.

bryan d

PS - is it just me, or is the front rotor missing a bolt?
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d
    You can always get some Halo Key Skewers, along with running a lock through the wheels for some assurance. But if someone is going to want to steal something, it won't matter if you have QR or bolt-on variant, they will steal it.
    Yeah, I figured that. Hopefully my U-Locks Anti-Theft policy will work if that happens.

That is going to be the prettiest bike in the school rack... my commuter is a POS for a reason.
    There are actually 2 nice bikes at the bike rack I plan to use, both with disc brakes a whatnot that are always locked with a cable lock. That, combined with the supposedly low crime rate, will hopefully keep my bike nice and safe.

PS - is it just me, or is the front rotor missing a bolt?
    I see that too. Would that be a simple 'purchase bolt and install' fix?

mtbr member
    I see that too. Would that be a simple 'purchase bolt and install' fix?
    Yep, shouldn't be a problem. Some weight weenie XC racers will remove even half of the bolts, although that doesn't necessarily make it smart

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Does anyone know how easy it is to get Kryptonite or OnGuard to actually honor a bike stolen under their Anti-Theft Warranty?
    Last edited by Sudds; 01-21-2010 at 02:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how easy it is to get Kryptonite or OnGuard to actually honor a bike stolen under their Anti-Theft Warranty?

Personal experience. My Renters Insurance paid for my stolen bike within 1 week, even giving me more than I thought the bike was worth. This was after OnGuard tried to say I was not the original owner of the lock, yes, they debated whether I had purchased the lock. Even though I had registered the bike(at LBS) the same day of bike and lock purchase. Receipts for bike, lock, and insurance premium in hand. OnGuard balked.
    DO get an OnGuard cable and put it thru the wheels AND frame. And get some renters insurance if you rent. But DONT count on the $5k or $10k(depending on the model of lock) theft policy.

By the way, NICE RIDE.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Unfortunately, I don't think we(My room mates and I) can afford renters insurance on top of all of our other expenses. I will look into it, but an extra $100 or so a month would mean I might not eat that often.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you are to broke to pay for renters insurance how are you going to pay to replace all your stuff when something happens

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    renters insurance is like a 100 a year. not a 100 a month. least it was the 3-4 times i've got it.

mtbr member
    My renters Ins is part of my Car Ins and runs about 9 dollars a month. Plus it protects the property you rent. An example is the movers busted the well cap and the pump needed to be replaced. Now with out renters Ins it would of cost me around 5K to fix. But it ended up costing me nothing. So just go out and get it just to be safe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, I'm fairly new to renting and I automatically assumed the worst when I did a brief online quote. I'm going to check with my Car Insurance(State Farm) and see what I can get. I do have backup funds in case the worst happens, but I'd rather not tap into them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm trying to figure out what I should carry with me while riding. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it minimal and make it fit in a small Seat Pack. Here is what I am thinking.

1x Lezyne Pressure Drive Bicycle Pump
    1x Crank Brothers Multi Tool (19-Function)
    1x Timbuk2 Seat Pack Large
    1x Tire Lever(Any Suggestions)
    1x Patch Kit
    2x Tubes

Plus wallet and whatnot. Or I was thinking about just grabbing the Topeak Survival Tool Wedge Pack with the Lezyne Pressure Pump. Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

mtbr member
    add an extra length of chain to that list. If you snap a chain on an SS there might not be enough adjustment room and remaining links of chain to connect it back together

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Any suggestions on tubes and a patch kit?

mtbr member
    Basically any kit will work. As far as the patches that require vulcanizing compound go, every kit I've tried has performed exactly the same, even the cheapest generic ones. They're all probably made in the same few factories. Make sure you follow the directions to properly prep the area and let the glue dry before patching and it will work great every time. Most people don't have any problems with glue-less patches either

In conclusion, your bike shop will probably have some on or near the checkout counter, or at least near the tubes. Whatever it is, just pick one and call it good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've ordered everything I think I'll need except for Tubes and Locking Skewers.

Anyone know if I need XL Skewers or how thick the Raleigh XXIX dropouts are?

And any recommendations on some good tubes to keep as spares?

And thanks again for everyone's help. It's greatly appreciated!

Members who have read this thread: 0