budget or production 26" SS?- Mtbr.com

budget or production 26" SS?

Used to ride SS before there were alot of options for bikes. You had to get a custom frame and spend out the a$$.

Wow things have changed. now you can walk in the store and get SS or CX bike. Awesome

I been searching the threads and also looking for used or new single speed. Also been searching the web. 29ers everywhere.

Found a great deal on a niner, but not totally sold on the 29 wheels yet.
    1100 for a Niner SIR with reba single speed setup. I know I like the way the 853 tubing rides.

Also I am going with what I know. Have not tried 29 yet either.

Have ridden cyclocross bike on mtn bike trail so I dunno if that gives me an idea of the kinda ride of a 29'r.

I am a clyde and hard on parts.

So are there any budget 26 SS made?

preferably steel. prefer to spend 1500 or less.

I thought about using eno but I like to ride hard, jump and take drops.

Used to have a custom 26" sycip single speed. I was able to do quite well in races and really improved my fitness and strength.

Getting back into riding again and considering doing some racing.

So should I bite the bullet and try the 29r or what production 26 are available?

feedback is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Speed
    ...Have ridden cyclocross bike on mtn bike trail so I dunno if that gives me an idea of the kinda ride of a 29'r...
    I don't think this gives you a feel for a 29er at all...I also take the CX bike on trails and it feels nothing like my 29ers.

You should try to get a ride on a 29er on trails before you make the decision. Not just a parking lot ride either if you can. See if you do like it...the clincher for me, by the way, wasn't until I tried to go back to a 26er after riding a 29er for about a month.

I'd put the word out in your local board about getting a test ride from someone that owns one in your area, if at all possible.

Lots of complete 29er SS on the market right now at lots of different price points...not so much for 26ers...building a Surly 1X1 is probably the most "budget" you can hope for. Jenson has a really nicely speced Jamis 26" SS for sale right now.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...s+Bike+07.aspx

More of a dirt jumper?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bike+2006.aspx

Here's a GT Peace 26er also...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bike+2007.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    I don't think this gives you a feel for a 29er at all...I also take the CX bike on trails and it feels nothing like my 29ers.

You should try to get a ride on a 29er on trails before you make the decision. Not just a parking lot ride either if you can. See if you do like it...the clincher for me, by the way, wasn't until I tried to go back to a 26er after riding a 29er for about a month.

I'd put the word out in your local board about getting a test ride from someone that owns one in your area, if at all possible.

Lots of complete 29er SS on the market right now at lots of different price points...not so much for 26ers...building a Surly 1X1 is probably the most "budget" you can hope for. Jenson has a really nicely speced Jamis 26" SS for sale right now.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...s+Bike+07.aspx

More of a dirt jumper?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bike+2006.aspx

Here's a GT Peace 26er also...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bike+2007.aspx
    Wasnt sure on the CX thing thanks for explaining

Thanks lots of good options. Like the ruckus.

Most of the cheaper options have been the 29ers I have seen.

Was also looking at the gt peace can get one for 400 bucks.

Thanks for the feedback.

aka baycat
    That is a killer deal on a Niner, and it will not be there long I suspect.

One Colorful Rider
    A CX bike is nothing near a 29er maybe a 29er Lite

The Size that you are and your Riding Type I would take a Hard Look at a Surly.

I've been riding a SS for ten years almost exclusivly SS the last Five years.

The price on a Surly frameset is relatively cheap.

A 1X1 can run Big 26"-650b or smaller 29er tires with No Problem.

Ride a 29er before you Judge a 29er

That is a killer deal on a Niner, and it will not be there long I suspect.
    good deal yes, maybe already gone

Ride a 29er before you Judge a 29er
    sounds like I gotta ride the 29'er.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the 29er. As hot as they are right now if it doesn't work out you can always sell it anyway. But you won't. You'll love it! Enjoy whichever you choose. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Redline still has their Monocog available in 26". But since its also available as a 29er for no more money, why bother. For 5 bills, you can take one home, and find out for yourself why a 29er. Got to be the best deal out there.

mtbr member
    I am very happy with my Raleigh xxix I got for $600. Been a great bike and I am also 200+ and hard on stuff.

Got single track/speed?
    If you're taking drops and "ride hard", a 26er with some stout wheels are probably what you're looking for. Although you could do that on a 29er, a smaller wheel is going to be stronger with the same build. Of course, when I hear "taking drops", I think of 4 footers at least. No budget wheel is going to take that for very long.

Get the 29er if the majority of the riding you plan to do is XC or long distance.

-Chuck

808+909 = Party Good Time
    If you decide on 29er the GT Peace 9r is awesome bang for buck but if you are still after budget-ish 26er options there is the GT Peace and the Avanti KISS 26

http://www.avantibikes.com/Single-Sp...26.aspx?bid=73

Members who have read this thread: 0