Budget mid-sized for single or rare use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Budget mid-sized for single or rare use?

I know, crazy question. I want a bike for a Muddy Buddy race. Two riders share a bike, switching back and forth between riding and running at set stations. My partner is 5'3 and I and 6'1. So it needs to be something we both can ride. Any thoughts? I'm trolling used bikes but have found few. I think single speed is simpler and cleaner. Racing is mostly fire roads.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

bikexor
    Look for older Specialized Stumpjumpers or any other bike with semi-horizontal or horizontal dropouts; that way you won't have to buy a tensioner.

5'3" and 6'1"?? You better get an extra long seat post too.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member

Yeah, I know

Quote Originally Posted by derockus
    Look for older Specialized Stumpjumpers or any other bike with semi-horizontal or horizontal dropouts; that way you won't have to buy a tensioner.

5'3" and 6'1"?? You better get an extra long seat post too.
    It's a coed race. Last time we used my wife's bike but that was too small for me. I would like the bike to be a little too small for me and a little too big for her.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    You'd probably be looking for a 17" frame.

I am 6'3" and rode a mid-90's 17" Cannondale M600 for quite a while. It was quite small for me but I really didn't have any huge issues riding the thing (it had a pretty long stem on it). Actually that bike was a ton of fun. My wife is 5'4" and she could ride it but not too comfortably.

As was stated before the main thing is having a long enough seatpost and look for a stem that will give you enough stretch but she can still reach.
    Signature

Members who have read this thread: 0