newbie boobie.

A Brown Surly SteamRoller... Coupla ?'s...

I asked this over at RBR... but, thought y'all might know something...

Anyone know where I could find a used Surly SteamRoller? A BROWN frame and fork?

56-59cm...

I am most likely going to run it as an SS... , but wonder how large a tire I can fit with road brakes in the back and on the fork. Anyone have any info on that? Which brakes should I look into so I can run fat tires? Saw it as a fixed gear with 42c Maxxis Wormdrives, and that would be ideal. Would that work with brakes?

The cheaper the better... as, it's going to be a commuter, and nicks and scratches only add to the appeal and subtract from the visual worth to a thief.

Shoot me an email --> jacobslideATgmailDOTcom

Thanks...
    Last edited by donkekus; 10-04-2005 at 02:20 PM.
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The steamroller is not designed to accept a rear brake. I'm sure you could bodge one on but it is meant to be fixed wheel only. I have a 32mm tyre in mine and I'm pretty sure you could get a lot bigger in. Not sure how old the brown model is but this is the current model specs and I doubt they have changed.
    http://lyxus.net/pu
    They reckon 38mm max with mud guards.

Tom

newbie boobie.
    Thanks...

But, I'm pretty sure you can run a rear brake on it. It is drilled for it, tho there are no cable guides... so I'll have to go with some cable tied stops or full length.

I have seen people w/ the Maxxis at 42s

But, wonder what the max tire would be with a rear brake...

Witty McWitterson
    56-59 is a big jump in frame sizes. I ran mine(59cm) with front and rear brakes, and with "30c" Michelin's, that actually measure closer to 35c. And its easy to runa brake in the rear. the bridge IS drilled to accept a brake, there's just no braze ons to accept the housing, so you have run zip ties or something more attractive(steel clips?) for the rear brake line.

The pics don't show the bike with brakes though. They seemed kind futile in snow and ice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a regular guy.

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    56-59 is a big jump in frame sizes. I ran mine(59cm) with front and rear brakes, and with "30c" Michelin's, that actually measure closer to 35c. And its easy to runa brake in the rear. the bridge IS drilled to accept a brake, there's just no braze ons to accept the housing, so you have run zip ties or something more attractive(steel clips?) for the rear brake line.

The pics don't show the bike with brakes though. They seemed kind futile in snow and ice.

I know... a 59 is my size... but, could make a 56 "work"...

I take it you don't have that anymore? Or, if ya do - wanna sell it?

What brakes did you run?

I've got a bunch of old green Michelin cross tires, and that brown and green looks sweet!

Thanks.

Witty McWitterson
    Nope, no longer in possestion of it. I ran old NOS Shimano 600's I sug up at the LBS. Worked great, looked cool. I liked the brown/green alot too. Obnoxious, but cool.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~

Hey I had that frame at one point! Did you buy or sell on ebay?

Witty McWitterson
    sold it. Bought it, actually traded for it, at a bike swap in Mpls not too long before those shots were taken. You must be the guy that bought it from me, flew up from TX or something??? That was the best shipping job I've ever done for an ebay sale! You must've sold it then to eh?
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Yep, that's me. I had it built for about a year but rarely rode it, so to the 'bay it went.

Members who have read this thread: 0