Brooks Saddles - X post 29er board- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Brooks Saddles - X post 29er board

Just bought a brown B-17 for my Tang Niner. It just seems like an old school saddle like that goes great with a single speed

I've read the rave (mostly) reviews on these saddles but I wonder, have any of you tried & not liked the Brooks? This will be my first one so I have my fingers crossed.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I couldn't think of anything more anachronistic really than a brooks saddle on a blingin bigwheeler like a Niner. However if the aesthetic floats you boat go for it.

I tried a B-17 for a while, and although I survived the break-in period, I never felt truly comfortable with it. They are quite wide across the rear, which I suspect was my main trouble. I was using mine on a road bike - I guess you would notice this even more off road if your trails required you to get off the back at all. On a nice light bike like a Niner, I wouldn't have thought a saddle which weighs close to a pound would be your first choice. They also don't take very well to water. These things combined, I guess I'm saying a Brooks (certainly a B17 - some other models are slimmer and lighter, like the Sift and Swallow) is not really an ideal mountain bikin saddle.

Sam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    I couldn't think of anything more anachronistic really than a brooks saddle on a blingin bigwheeler like a Niner. However if the aesthetic floats you boat go for it.

I tried a B-17 for a while, and although I survived the break-in period, I never felt truly comfortable with it. They are quite wide across the rear, which I suspect was my main trouble. I was using mine on a road bike - I guess you would notice this even more off road if your trails required you to get off the back at all. On a nice light bike like a Niner, I wouldn't have thought a saddle which weighs close to a pound would be your first choice. They also don't take very well to water. These things combined, I guess I'm saying a Brooks (certainly a B17 - some other models are slimmer and lighter, like the Sift and Swallow) is not really an ideal mountain bikin saddle.

Sam
    Hey Sam,
    Thanks for the thoughts. I am a big dude and even though the Niner is nice & light, I'm no weight weenie. I did have second thoughts about it's weight but I went ahead with the purchase anyhow.

I also bought the narrow version of the B-17 because of the concern that you bring up. I guess I just have to see how well I like it and hope I didn't throw good $$ away
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    6 month guarentee. Don't like it send it back no questions asked.

http://www.wallbike.com/#

Looks like they are currently closed due to Katrina....they are from New Orleans.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    hope I didn't throw good $$ away
    Unlikely - you see those things regularly fetching close to retail on eBay!

I want to see some pics of that funky setup when you get it happening

Sam

King Pin

Smile

IMHO, the Brook's Professional/narrow B-17 and Swift are all WONDERFUL, whether road biking or off road.

The standard B-17 didn't quite work for me....just too wide. My current Pro model is the most comfortable saddle that my forty five year old butt has ever felt...she is WELL broken in though. Takes time. With time, non mas fina!

Momma is quite happy with her brand new B-17 Narrow on her brand new Retrotec....but she doesn't know any better. She is happy, and the saddle will break in to "her" butt in a few months.

King Pin

Smile

I love finding good deals on good used Brook's saddles!

Happily paying full retail for a good used example that has been somewhat "broken in"...they only get better with age, if properly cared for!

Can't say the same for Flite stuff, etc....eh??

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    Unlikely - you see those things regularly fetching close to retail on eBay!

I want to see some pics of that funky setup when you get it happening

Sam

Anarchist
    Jan 2004
    From a seat thread I replied to a few weeks back:

I have the Brooks B17 Champion Special and a WTB Rocket V with CroMo Rails.

The B17 is from 1976 and is still going strong. It is increadibly comfortable, broke in quickly and lasts forever. It is heavy and it is noticeable. If you get out of the saddle and over your rear wheel for steep down hills and short drops it will hurt your pelvis/pubic bone. The frame around the entire back is steel, Ti or copper (dependent upon your pocket book ) with only a piece of hard leather for padding attached with copper rivets. The nose is also composed of a bolt for adjusting the leather tension and metal rails and is only half covered with leather...it can hurt also.

The WTB is the most comfortable MTB saddle I've ever used and most folks I know who ride enough to have a preference or the ability to discern the difference in saddles runs one of their models or Fizik brand saddle. They usually make three versions of each model. Each model has a slightly different width on the rear, nose shape, weight and purpose but for the most part are very similar. For example: The Rocket V is pretty narrow in the rear and the Speed V is wider. You will also find that you can get a steel railed, a Cro-mo steel or a Ti and Synthetic coverings for the steel rails or leather for the Ti and a choice of either coverings for the CroMo steel. They are light, padded for hanging off the back and have a great nose shape for climbing (you dont get hung up) which is why they became so popular in the first place. They don't last forever. My Cro-Mo Synthetic covered Rocket V has lasted three years now and is ripping out in the back and nose. I paid $40 for it then.

I'm torn about which I like better. They both have strengths and weaknesses. They are both comfortable in different ways. The Brooks rides with you...it is literally an interface between rider and bike...it makes you feel "at one"/connected...like a part of the machine, the WTB is very much a saddle you ride on yet fits very well..it just never forms to you. This is the best I can describe it and I hope I've conveyed what I've found of the two saddles.

Hope it's helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've got one on almost every bike I own: Pro on my IF SS; Pro on my Spot SS 'Cross; B66 on Atlantis; B17 & Countess on the Ibis tandem, etc. Got a B17 just waiting in a box for another bike to come along. Perhaps it'll be a SS SIR9 29er?

I LOVE 'em!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good Info

Thanks for all the input. I just finished my first ride on the Brooks and here are the initial impressions (no pun intended)

1. Not as hard as I thought it would be When the break-in is complete I think it will be a very comfy perch

2. Kinda slippery

I am a little hesitant to scuff up the saddle to reduce the slippage, but I may end up doing it anyhow if continues to bother me. How many of you have used the steel wool method to create more friction?

Anyhow, the first ride was only 90 minutes long but my Niner didn't complain or beat me up because of the Brooks, so I think it's going to be a keeper!

Members who have read this thread: 0