mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Brooks Flyer Springer saddle for SS

Do Mostly XC riding and want a brooks seat. Sick of peeps telling me brooks seat will change your life so I need one. Will springer model give a little suspension on the hardtail SS? Or is it too much weight?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't go with that particular model. It might be too wide and rub against the back of your legs when you do high cadence. Also, I think some of those sprung Brooks weigh as much as a frame. LOL.

Go with a Swift (Ti rails if you can) or Swallow if you want to try a Brooks.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've had several Brooks saddles over the years. Mostly the Ti Swallow model. I've done a bunch of fifties and several hundreds with being moderately comfortable. Then for some reason they became so uncomfortable i couldn't sit on one. So I got rid of them. Their not cheap either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Most of my bikes have Brooks saddles. The key to comfort on one is having a seatpost with enough setback and the right amount of tilt. I've used the Flyer on my LHT and Troll, super comfortable. If you want a sprung saddle for XC riding I would go with the Conquest. Narrower than the Flyer. The Colt is my favourite non-sprung saddle for a MTB.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love my B17 on my Monocog 29er. It's just comfy!

mtbr member
    I have a variety of brooks saddles in play but none of them are sprung (2 swallows, one swift and one b17).

The swift is on my SS, the swallows are on my road bike and my big tire road bike, and the b17 on my commuter/tourer. I like the swift on the mountain bike the best because it is short - makes it easier to get away from it when you need to (yeah yeah maybe someday I will get a dropper post). It is not as comfortable as the others over long periods, but since I end up standing a lot things balance out. I did *not* like the swift on the bike that has the b17 now. But I don't like the b17 on my mountain bike (too wide and harder to get behind) or my road bike (thighs rub when pedaling in a more aggressive position).

Once broken in I think the leather gives all the suspension you need - I would not get a sprung model because of concerns about the weight and width. I also wonder if they would make the bike feel "imprecise", and I'd hate to bust a spring or something in the middle of the woods.

There's about a 50% chance it *won't* change your life so buy used - that will decrease your time investment to break in the leather as well. If you don't like it, sell it to me cheap
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I have a B17, a Pro, and a C17 Cambium. I would try the cambium series, aka the vegan Brooks, as it requires no break-in or maintenance. The leather saddles will require some care if you want them to last. I wouldn't use the sprung saddles unless it was a touring/commuting/cargo bike. See if you can get your sit bones measured before buying a saddle so you can get the right one. Another leather saddle to try may be the Selle Anatomica.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Love my two Brooks Team Pro. I give the saddle a generous amount of brooks proofide both top and bottom, leave it overnight, polish it with a clean rag, give it another coat of proofide, leave it overnight and polish the excess off once more. It's slippery as hell for the first 2-3 rides, but after that it's perfect. Never had any issues with breaking it in and after 4 years of use and abuse they still look like new.