Brooks flyer saddle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Brooks flyer saddle?

Thinking about a Brooks Flyer saddle with the springs (yes springs). Love my monocog and while riding offroad I have no lower back pain because I'm standing, but I would like a bit of cushion while riding on the road. Thoughts - anyone have experience with a saddle like this? Would it do a damn thing for the vibration?

Retro Grouch
    I have 3 Brooks saddles, two are B-17's (the same as a Flyer without springs). Regardless, I would not recommend one on a mountain bike. First, because Brooks saddles and water do not play well together. Sure, you can slather them with Proofide, but they are not capable of being drenched on a constant basis without self destructing. Further, this type of leather needs to breath, so any attempt to "seal" the saddle with silicone, or any other sealant will result in the saddle drying up and cracking.

Second, the springs on the saddle are akin to a shock without damping; i.e. a pogo stick for a seat. My advise would be a suspension seat post. I have one on my SS and it does the job. I have battled back problems for years, but it never the result of riding since my use of one. I use an older version of the Origin 8 Air Pro with no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 12-20-2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Brad's right. I have a B17 on my D440 and love it, but I think if you're looking for a little jolt relief, you'd be way ahead with a Cane Creek Thudbuster, compared to the Flyer.

Girt by sea.
    Yep, the Thudbuster is the way to go. I've got one on my SS XtC.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a sprung Brooks Conquest on my monocog and like it. I don't think they make it anymore- it was their "offical" MTB saddle. I don't notice any pogo effect and think you'll be fine with the Flyer.

That's gonna leave a mark
    IMO, the springer works just fine on rough trails. The water isn't much of an issue here in SoCal though.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks for all of the input

That's kinda what I was hoping someone would say..(I'm just too skeert to just throw $130.00 at a saddle experiment).. I've been looking at the thudbuster and while it looks like it would work wonderfully, it kinda goes against why I personally ride a singlespeed... To keep things as mechanically simple as possible after years of blowing through the wonderful world of Chi-Chi bling-bling, expensive geared, super dual boinger, worn out squeeky bushing parts. As a kid, my BMX bike never broke and I rode the @#$ out of it. Same thing through college on a 24" cruiser. Now again on a Monocog. Thanks, as always, for all of the input! I'll give the Brooks a shot and see what kind of luck I have.

That's gonna leave a mark
    One thing I didn't mention: the wide width makes it a little difficult to get behind the saddle during steep technical descents. Not horribly difficult, just enough to remind you this isn't your roadie saddle.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Brooks Conquest had a great top and comfortable springs. I was sorry to see it discontinued. A good sprung saddle will cushion you from road shock and you don't need a suspension seatpost. There's no pogo effect. The hard surface of the saddle prevents that and when you ride over a bump, the springs smooth out the shock so you don't feel rattled. There's something to be said for a sprung saddle and I love it but if you're racing, then the plain unsprung version is much lighter. You'd want that for competitive advantage. For me, the comfort outweighs the weight weenie issue.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Sure, you can slather them with Proofide, but they are not capable of being drenched on a constant basis without self destructing.

Look carefully on the saddle, it says "Brooks, England" and England is well known the world over for its arid climate

2.5years on a Swift Ti and 2 tins of Proofide and it looks and works amazing. It does take a little more looking after than a plastic saddle but the performance is worth it.

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My USE shoxpost has been pretty much set and forget.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Regardless, I would not recommend one on a mountain bike. First, because Brooks saddles and water do not play well together.
    I guess this is a YMMV comment. I don't live in the northwest under constant downpours, but I don't worry about cowhide deteriorating either. How did all of those work boots last so long in the ol' days? I still have a pair of leather hiking boots from '92...

We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Members who have read this thread: 1