Broken collarbone advice. SSer down.- Mtbr.com
    singlespeed smash brother

Broken collarbone advice. SSer down.

Well it finally happened to me. I'm in the best form of my life and was doing a 100km epic race on the weekend. I was holding 2nd place in ss class and was going to come in 45 minutes under what i was expecting to do it in. 4km from the finish I was hammering a straight bit of DH single track at about 40kph then bam! I hit the deck shoulder first and tangled in my bike , I ended up wrapped around an ant hill. It was a big stack and i still can't work out how I crashed on a pretty smooth piece of track. My pace fork has gone to heaven. The force of the crash tore the front wheel out of the fork through the lawer tips and is bent at the crown. I think Im pretty lucky to come out of this one with just a broken collar bone.

So does anyone have any recovery tips for this type of injury. Tips on getting a good nights sleep would be much apprieciated.

Thanks for listening. The thought of being off the bike for 6 weeks makes me real sad.

mtbr member
    That blows!

Collar bones are not much fun to break. Though it must be said you are not a real cyclist until you have done it at least once, so welcome to club! I have done my left one twice in a space of a couple of months. The only advice I can offer is eat lots of dairy and try not to role onto it at night, as it is not much fun.

You will also have to give up wearing strapless dresses as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I broke mine about eight weeks ago. Rest as much as you can, lots of sleep, drink plenty of water and eat well. I found after a week or so I could sleep on my side, back or stomach .. just not the side that was broken.

After a week I was much better, then massive improvements after another week. By three weeks it was feeling great, except if I tryed to lift something or do anything involving a lot of movement.

Now at eight weeks there is just a little pain, and a lot of muscle loss from not using the arm for much.

If the photos didnt work, go to my website www.otmcycles.com, and click on the Europe link and then the France link.

Steamroller

Things could be worse.

You should be good as new in 2-3 months, 2 months to heal and another to get some form back. A bad separation can take much longer. I separated my shoulder badly while down hilling on an XC hardtail at Big Bear in 2000. My buddy's wife crashed and broke her collar bone the same weekend. Initially I thought I was the lucky one but, in about 8 or 9 weeks she was good as new. I was off the mountain bike for about 18 months. I had to take up road riding until with the help of physical therapy and kinesiology I could finally handle the bumps and vibration of off road riding again. I still can't wash my car with my right arm or fill a tire with a mini pump or, I'm sore for a week.

Get well soon, try sleeping on your back. Missy Giove said in a magazine interview, that her secret to healing from broken bones was to eat lots of sardines. It seems they are very high in calcium. I just thought she bounced back because she was so manly
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mx+mtb+SS=happy
    Jan 2005
    Take a calcium supplement too, or even pop some TUMS as they have lots of calcium. Not sure how old you are, but 6 to 8 weeks and you should have no problems being back on the bike. Make sure you wear the figure-8 brace if you got one. It will help you heal better and straighter and keep your collarbone immobilized for quite a while to ensure you get a good strong healing going. A buddy of mine took off his brace and sling after a few days and his bones never knitted and he broke it again a few months later by just falling down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mxbulldog
    Take a calcium supplement too, or even pop some TUMS as they have lots of calcium. Not sure how old you are, but 6 to 8 weeks and you should have no problems being back on the bike. Make sure you wear the figure-8 brace if you got one. It will help you heal better and straighter and keep your collarbone immobilized for quite a while to ensure you get a good strong healing going. A buddy of mine took off his brace and sling after a few days and his bones never knitted and he broke it again a few months later by just falling down.
    Interesting you mention this. I have done a little asking around about these. I was given one when I broke my collar bone in France, but when I got back to the UK I was told that 'they don't help and we don't use them in the UK', I asked back home in New Zealand and they too said they never use them.

My experience with them is that they are very uncomfortable, and still didnt actually hold the bones aligned. Mine have healed with a bump, which you can see if you compare the two sides.

I found for the first two weeks that I wanted to sleep a lot, which did seem to help.

-Chris

viva la v-brakes!

get a road bike

broke my collar bone 2 years ago, recovering from a broken arm right now.

You should be able to get on a road bike and a trainer within a week or two. Miserable, I know, but if you intend on maintaining fitness it can be tolerated with some good music or a bad action movie.

Within a month or so you should be able to get out and get riding on a road bike, or maybe your mtb with slicks. Just jack the bars up high so you don't have to lean down too much with just one arm supporting you, and seek out smooth roads.

I got back on my MTB after about 8-10 weeks, but didn't get back on my SS for another month after that, there was just too much strain on the shoulder when standing up to climb (plus, my SS is fully rigid).

Good luck!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    well it deppends how bad your break is , I had a bad one and wasnt on the bike for about 3 months and wasnt aloud do it by my doc for about 1 months after that its a ***** and although u dont think it will get better it will

R I D E S T E E L
    i agree with gemini, it can take time depending on the severity. mine was broken in two with the ends seperated and at strange angles. they grew together, but it took a while. i was about 36 when it happened, so that makes a difference, along with diet, etc. i took a lot of walks, runs and tried to watch what i ate. i ended up with a pretty solid 4 months off the bike and a slow return. however, after that, i felt great on the bike, though i took a while to come back. it tought me to take time off to recover, something i've been following since with success.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

heal your shoulder

buy a good calcium supplement pref bovine source .you want not only calcium but also phosphorus ,magnesium and zinc ,tums dont work if you can afford to ride a $500 fork you can afford a real supplement .buy glucosamine chondroitin because whenever you bang yourself good enough to break a bone assume you had soft tissue damage.stay off your bike -for now ,but stay active like any injury it needs fresh blood and circulation to heal -hit the weightroom ,hike in a week or 2 start working out on a trainer yeah they are boring so listen to some music ... lift weights for your good arm 25% of the results will transfer over to the injured arm. get accupuncture and lymphatic massage do this stuff and you will cut your recovery time in half good luck ps eat your veggies dark green ones

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

???

[QUOTE=lift weights for your good arm 25% of the results will transfer over to the injured arm. [/QUOTE]

I don't understand this part of your advice. how does this 25% get transfered? otherwise sounds good tho