Broke My SRAM PC-99- Mtbr.com
    SS Madness

Broke My SRAM PC-99

Was grinding thru the mud yesterday when my SRAM PC-99 Hollowpin chain snapped. Luckily my jewels are still intact. Is the hollowpin just not strong enuf for SS torque? Is Wipperman a better chain? Any thoughts appreciated...
    You can sleep when you are dead!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Hollowpin on a single, YIKES! Trusty SRAM PC1 is what you need my friend.
    "Do not touch the trim"

17.5" pistons of love
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xjohnnyx
    Was grinding thru the mud yesterday when my SRAM PC-99 Hollowpin chain snapped. Luckily my jewels are still intact. Is the hollowpin just not strong enuf for SS torque? Is Wipperman a better chain? Any thoughts appreciated...
    Not fancy or high dollar, but KMC makes an eight speed chain in silver that sells for about $15 and I've never had one fail. It has a quick link that's not so quick to get apart but it is removable, just need some needle nose pliers. I weigh 200+ and I've had great luck so far and if you have a bash gaurd it won't rub on it.
    The Domesticated SSer

King Pin

Good job! Sram Pc7-x

I happily spend the extra money for this chain! Have 'em on seven bikes, and I have yet to break one. SS or Fixie. I just trust 'em.

YMMV....but I won't use anything else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Really? Where'd it break?

I've used a pc89r for almost a year with no problems and a pc99 for a couple of months. Did the pin shear? Did the plate break? Or did the plate pull off the pin? Usually, when a chain breaks the plate pulls off the pin and that would happen whether the pin was hollow or not. SRAM hollow pin chains are actually less prone to this failure than other multi-speed chains because of the way they are peened. On solid pin chains they whack two or fours sides of the chain depending on quality, creating two or four lips to prevent the plate from coming off the pin. On hollow pin chains the ram a punch into the hole creating a continuous lip all the way around. My believe is the chain would have failed regardless of whether it was hollow pin or not. It was either worn out or a lemon. A pc7x on the other hand probably wouldnt have failed. Since it is made for single speeds and the pins don't have to pass through a super narrow set of gears, its pins are extra long; the plates never pull off the pins. The kmc is strong for the same reason. It also sucks on geared bikes for that reason.

Bottom line, modern hollow pin chains are no weaker than solid pin chains. If you're worried use a single speed specific chain, otherwise rock on with the hollow pin.

The Top Cap Guy
    I had a Sram hollow pin chain on my geary when they first came out last Spring and I was riding the road to the trail head and it died before I made it tot the dirt.... it blew up no where near where I pushed the pin out to shorten it or the connector link. about 7 inches from the end it blew up - basically pulled both side plates off a pin.... I've never broken a chain ever before... and this one had less than 3 miles on it. Maybe it was defective - but it stunk. I went back to the PC-99 regular and other bikes run the PC69's with no trouble. I have run the PC89R on my road bike for 2 years with no problems (drilled side plates but reg pins).

Just get a PC69 and be done.... or another similar chain

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Check your chainline; if it's not straight its much easier to break chains.
    The PC-99 is one of the strongest chains on the market. The hollow pins hold the side plates together better than most solid pins.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

The Top Cap Guy
    The chain line moved as that bike had gears.... but there were no issues that I know of for chain line as the other Sram chain I used lasted until the bike was sold without a hitch.

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bulging Calves
    Not fancy or high dollar, but KMC makes an eight speed chain in silver that sells for about $15 and I've never had one fail.
    hey chief i will show you how to get two of those for 10 bucks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

break it in half and save the other half for later. i have been using this chain on my SS commuter and it seems every bit as durable as the cheaper sram chains.