Bringing a knife to a gun fight - Rigid bikes and downhill, post your videos!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Bringing a knife to a gun fight - Rigid bikes and downhill, post your videos!

Just finished rebuilding one of my bikes as a rigid SS and am having a ton of fun seeing how fast I can push it downhill without rattling my teeth out. i Had my buddies gopro on hand so figured I would take a video. The trail is Rock-It in Aliso Woods Ca. (not that difficult of a trail but still pretty punishing on some sections with a rigid). Anyone else ride rigid down more demanding trails? I am finding this "under-gunned" biking to be pretty fun, took my CX bike down this same trail before I sold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2shktIGhLs

mtbr member
    No vid but most memorable is the Winding Stair gravel forest road descent from Fools Gold in North GA. An approximate 1100ft descent in about 2.6 miles with nonstop big chunky gravel, rocks, water erosion, etc. Managed about a 20mph avg with some code brown moments on my rigid. Had to stop at the end to get the feeling back in my hands. I've also done that descent with a suspension fork and it really wasn't much better than the rigid. Took the edge off a bit but still shook the crap out of me.
    Signature

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Biceps getting shaken off the bone?
    No thanks.
    Once is enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Haha yeah there is that...I guess I like it because it makes trails more difficult again and its refreshing picking different lines and just riding differently. The basically 0 maintenance is pretty nice too haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What bike are you riding in the vid?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    What bike are you riding in the vid?
    Its a cromo frame I got off Nashbar, amazon still has em http://www.amazon.com/CFG-Cycle-Forc.../dp/B00HPKWDRG

Heres another video on a rougher trail -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3ej134lCs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here is a link to my build specifically, I really need to get some wider rims and fatter tires, my current setup, even pumped rock hard pinch flats on me and is really annoying me cause I know I can push this bike harder but whenever I try I just flat out..Anyway:

Nashbar Cromo 29er hardtail - Pedal Room

You can see I made sure my tire pressure was way high before I took off down lynx in this video but I still pinched...really need to fix this problem.

https://youtu.be/c9gyQhBA3xE
    Last edited by BikeBro; 05-19-2016 at 01:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    You can see I made sure my tire pressure was way high before I took off down lynx in this video but I still pinched...really need to fix this problem.

Tubeless?

mtbr member
    Here's a 90 Rockhopper steel bike. Fully rigid with drop bars (Midge bars).

Rode down this steep drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAf8Q-ABKwc

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Tubeless?
    I was thinking about that, if I can get a hold of a cheap and wider tubeless set up I would grab it, this is a budget build and I dont want to get to much money into it, thats what my honzo build is for haha.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    I was thinking about that, if I can get a hold of a cheap and wider tubeless set up I would grab it, this is a budget build and I dont want to get to much money into it, thats what my honzo build is for haha.
    Get some i23 wheels off a Kona Unit someone has upgraded.
    Pretty bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Get some i23 wheels off a Kona Unit someone has upgraded.
    Pretty bullet proof.
    I was going to say that, but then I do have a set of Unit takeoffs for sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I sometimes ride my rigid SS at Bootleg Canyon. Just makes me smile. Surprising what it can on the steep stuff.

Rides all the bikes!
    I converted my entry level Raleigh 18 speed rigid 26" to SS. I really don't like it, but I have been thinking of regearing it with some drop bars for commuting. Make my commuter a proper (heavy) CX.

My trail bike conveniently broke right before some local races. I did one Enduro on a borrowed Cannondale Trigger, another on my "bike of shame". Racing an Enduro wasn't fun, but amazingly wasn't last.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    I sometimes ride my rigid SS at Bootleg Canyon. Just makes me smile. Surprising what it can on the steep stuff.
    It really is fun and the more I think about it, for the amount of tech these bikes lack the time difference between them and more fs rigs is not all that excessive, or at least not as much as I would have expected