Bridgestone MB-4 (What year?)- Mtbr.com
    SS Addict

Bridgestone MB-4 (What year?)

I just acquired a well used (POS) Bridgestone MB-4 and am trying to determine the year. I would include a photo, but have had trouble in the past creating a small enough file size to upload it. Can anyone tell me what year it is?

The bike: Battleship gray original paint, LX Mountain thumbshifters and r. derailleur, Tange MTB tubing (complete with Made in Taiwan sticker) with a lug only at the seatpost/seatstay juncture, rigid threaded fork with Ritchey headset, unknown cranks with Biopace rings, seven speed cassette, gray Ritchey stem, unknown silver hubs with "sealed bearing" stickers, Araya rear rim, Mavic front rim (probably a replacement), Shimano cantis, Shimano SLX brake levers, Shimano loose ball BB. Vertical dropouts.

Since I already have an IRO SS with suspension fork and post, the intent was to buy a cheap but decent rigid steel frame and convert it cheaply to SS and see if I could stand the rigid ride (lots of sharp pointed rocks here in AZ). If I like it I may go to an ENO eccentric hub so I can ride it SS w/o a tensioner or (gulp) fixed. If it sucks I will use it to ride to the hardware store, gym, and local bar.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like around 1990 (+/- a year or two) to me - try asking on the retro/vintage board here or on the iBOB mailing list.

Quote Originally Posted by czryan
    I just acquired a well used (POS) Bridgestone MB-4 and am trying to determine the year. I would include a photo, but have had trouble in the past creating a small enough file size to upload it. Can anyone tell me what year it is?

The bike: Battleship gray original paint, LX Mountain thumbshifters and r. derailleur, Tange MTB tubing (complete with Made in Taiwan sticker) with a lug only at the seatpost/seatstay juncture, rigid threaded fork with Ritchey headset, unknown cranks with Biopace rings, seven speed cassette, gray Ritchey stem, unknown silver hubs with "sealed bearing" stickers, Araya rear rim, Mavic front rim (probably a replacement), Shimano cantis, Shimano SLX brake levers, Shimano loose ball BB. Vertical dropouts.

Since I already have an IRO SS with suspension fork and post, the intent was to buy a cheap but decent rigid steel frame and convert it cheaply to SS and see if I could stand the rigid ride (lots of sharp pointed rocks here in AZ). If I like it I may go to an ENO eccentric hub so I can ride it SS w/o a tensioner or (gulp) fixed. If it sucks I will use it to ride to the hardware store, gym, and local bar.

JAK
    mtbr member

probably an 88

ask PineApple Bob...hehe

I had a buddy who had that model and I believe he got 'er in 88...check the serial #.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

SS Addict
    Thanks! I put the description out on the iBOB list and read some of their posts. The second digit in the serial number is 9, which I think means it was an '89.