Bridgestone Magic gear- Mtbr.com
    A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007

Bridgestone Magic gear

Ok, so I'm not mathematically inclined... I have and old bridgestone MB5 that is currently running a magic gear combo of 34x16. I want to convert this bike to a cross-ish bike with 700c wheels and a stiffer gear. What other combos will work? Does chain brand have anything to do with magic gear-ing a bike?I just couldn't figure out the chart...

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by stubecontinued
    Ok, so I'm not mathematically inclined... I have and old bridgestone MB5 that is currently running a magic gear combo of 34x16. I want to convert this bike to a cross-ish bike with 700c wheels and a stiffer gear. What other combos will work? Does chain brand have anything to do with magic gear-ing a bike?I just couldn't figure out the chart...
    Rule of 4 says 38x16 would be a good start.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Rule of 4? Will moving up 4 teeth move me up a certain number of chain links?
    I also have a 15t cog which I could use, any trick to figure that one out?

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by stubecontinued
    Rule of 4? Will moving up 4 teeth move me up a certain number of chain links?
    I also have a 15t cog which I could use, any trick to figure that one out?
    The rule of four says if you add 4 teeth or subtract 4 teeth from the cog and/or chainring, then the chain tension, plus or minus a link, will remain the same based on the length of your chainstays; so you have to move in multiples of 4. IOW your 34t chain ring can be 38/42/46 and/or your 16t cog can be 20/24 (I have not included the subtracted four as neither would be practical). Check out the Single Speed FAQ for more info.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Members who have read this thread: 0