Brake therapy disc thingy with horizontal drops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brake therapy disc thingy with horizontal drops

As you can tell from my recent posts I'm building a new (old) singlespeed. So instead of working I research components and write post. I figure by harnessing the power of this message board I will build the greatest singlespeed ever.

The frame has horizontal drops with no disc mount. The only way I know how to join 2 things together is with dry wall screws. I don't believe this qualifies me to weld Ti.

I see 4 options:

1. Paul Components hub and adapter. My problem is, I heard the Paul rear hub is a big steaming pile of shut-yo-mouth.

2. Brake therapy adapter. Is it compatible with horizontal drops? Do they work as bad as the Brake Therapy website looks?

3. Skip the disc and find a Brooklyn Machine Works Snot Rocket for the back.

4. Or stop being a wuss and skip the rear brake all together by going fixed.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have been using the Paul hub and Disk Unit for more than 3 years (and Paul WORD hubs for 2 years before than). Works great. The hub is durable. Use an ENO FW.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I was reading of issues with the bolts and brass washers. Are you running tugs?

kung food
    3. Skip the disc and find a Brooklyn Machine Works Snot Rocket for the back.
    I'd love a pair...but haven't seen a set on ebay in years. All the same, I feel like they would be pretty easy to replicate, just dorking around in a machine shop.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor
    I was reading of issues with the bolts and brass washers. Are you running tugs?
    I did have some problems with the brass washers. Not everyone does. I now use the QR axle, Redline tugs (modified) and a tandem skewer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I've:

1) used the Pauls disc brake adapter with the Pauls hub

2) used the Brake Therapy adapters with a Shimano and Chris King hub

4) gone fixie with a horizonatal wheel mount

Plus:

5) Woodman disc adapter with a Woodman, Shimano & Rolf hubs

6) AtomLab BMX disc adapter with a Surly hub

7) Aomeba (AtoZ or DiscBrakeAdapter) disc adapter with various hubs

All to avoid canti's on a horizontal mount.

The Paul's system works well, stays put fine without a tug on Ti & Al frames. Caliper stays with the wheel, so flat fixes can be a pain since you have to unbolt the torque arm and unhook the brake line to remove the wheel.

BT version is also nice, but you have to modify the hub, and they make the adapter for certain hubs only - mostly QR axles. I used a steel Shimano QR with no tug successfully, but I eventually put a modified tug (modified to work better with a QR skewer) for insurance.

Fixie works just fine.

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by itsdoable; 10-31-2005 at 04:27 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0