bottom bracket confusion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

bottom bracket confusion

Sorry if this is stupid, but I've searched a bunch and can't seem to find an answer.

I've got a Surly 1x1 and just installed a new shimano un54 73mm x 110mm for my old race face crank. I probably got too narrow a spindle, but my chainline and chainring clearance are good, (I'm using an old cassette hub so I can put the cog where I need to). The problem is that the bottom bracket is off center by about 4mm. Do I need to use a spacer on the drive side, should I have gotten a different size?

Thanks in advance!

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeskiing
    Sorry if this is stupid, but I've searched a bunch and can't seem to find an answer.

I've got a Surly 1x1 and just installed a new shimano un54 73mm x 110mm for my old race face crank. I probably got too narrow a spindle, but my chainline and chainring clearance are good, (I'm using an old cassette hub so I can put the cog where I need to). The problem is that the bottom bracket is off center by about 4mm. Do I need to use a spacer on the drive side, should I have gotten a different size?

Thanks in advance!
    As long as the ring doesn't rub the frame, it doesn't matter that it is off center. Make sure the chainline is good, and lines the rear cog up well.

Out spokin'
    Your feet can't tell / don't care where the exact center of the bike is.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the input guys!

mtbr member
    I think this is bottom bracket madness, not confusion. One must quick drink a beer to avoid the madness.

Members who have read this thread: 0