Bored with my Specialized SS (2009-era). Looking for a new ride, open to ideas...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Bored with my Specialized SS (2009-era). Looking for a new ride, open to ideas...

I have an 2009 Specialized SS 29er hardtail that's been great, but I'm bored with it. I use it mainly for mid-week rides on the trails near my house (dry singletrack, mix of sandstone and loose granite, in Colorado), and it's served that purpose quite well, but I'd like to get something new to spice things up. I'm not wedded to sticking with a SS, though I do enjoy the simplicity of the SS world (both riding and maintenance). I'm toying with the idea of the Trek Stache 29+, either geared or maybe with a Gates Belt drive. But I haven't really kept up on the SS world to know what sort of new-ish tech is out there and what people are having fun with these days. Budget shouldn't be a major issue - I'd be willing to go up to $4k for the right combo, maybe higher (I know those belt drives are pricey).

Anyway I realize this is a vague request, but just looking for some suggestions on newer bikes (not necessarily just SS, though probably a hardtail as I have a full sus Turner Burner 650b) that people here are having a lot of fun with. I want something to motivate me to get out there on a daily basis again.

Thanks,
    Sean

Wanna ride bikes?
    29+ is a great platform. the added volume and grip are smile inducing, and there isn't a huge weight penalty like a 5" tire. if you haven't demo'd one, go do it. but you might want to bring checkbook. (do people still use checkbooks?) you get my drift.

interested in building from the frame up? here's a titanium Carver Gnarvester. $1500 frame, not sure if it's belt drive compatible.

there's a lot of good options out there right now, this is just one. lots of new tire options this year too, with more to come. it's a good time to be in the market for something new.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    For $4k, you can pretty much build anything you want.

One of my friends just used the Lynsky trade-in policy to score an amazing titanium frame for well under $2k. Add another $1k for top-end wheels, $5-600 for drivetrain/cockpit and the whole thing is probably under $3500 for a maxed out SS.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Kona Honzo Ti
    Wide Carbon Rims
    140mm Pike
    Dropper
    Good brakes

24lb shred machine that make make you forget your burner on most rides. if you are not racing why have an XC geo bike?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    if you are not racing why have an XC geo bike?
    horrible question. by that logic Ferrari's should not exist.

why don't we all just ride DH bikes and forget all that silly climbing?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post
    horrible question. by that logic Ferrari's should not exist.

why don't we all just ride DH bikes and forget all that silly climbing?
    they should not. they are actually awful to drive and that type of track speed can be had for MUCH cheaper. They are toy for people who have more money than they know what to do with.

I was a seriosuly competive Autocrosser and routinely spanked Ferraris in modified Honda Civic, that was actually more comfortable to drive is still going at 200k on the engine.

If I had unlimited money I would never by a ferrari.

I would own

An Audi RS6 wagon as a Daily
    A F350 Dually as a Toe vehicle
    and Areil Atom as a track car.

getting back to bikes though.

Slack head angled combined with a steep seat tube and dropper climbs fine. The real issue of slack HTA and Steep STA comes in rolling terrain where you are constantly using the dropper just to make turns. If your terrain is rolling IE elevation change of less than 100 feet all the time then yes a Honzo would be an awful choice.

but if you are bored with XC geo SS hardtail, then why not go with a slack charger hardtail like a Honzo, Trans Am, or even the new plus sized Trek Stache. or heck even the Gnarvester but that bike geo is just slightly off IMO with the reaches being super short.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

but if you are bored with XC geo SS hardtail, then why not go with a slack charger hardtail like a Honzo, Trans Am, or even the new plus sized Trek Stache. or heck even the Gnarvester but that bike geo is just slightly off IMO with the reaches being super short.
    I did a very quick test ride of the Stache 29+ yesterday and liked what I saw. It's is my frontrunner at this point, as the wide tires should also help get me out on the trails this winter under some snowy-ish conditions. Plus the elevated chainstay should make converting to a belt drive easy if I decide to go that route someday.

-Sean

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I just built a Surly Krampus 29+ into a single speed this year. Really happy with it. But with more budget, I' probably would have gotten a Salsa. They have a new hard tail out this year called the Deadwood. It's 29+ and the build comes with the cool woodchipper bars. I know most Salsas are available as frame-sets, so you could do whatever you want. My first thought for you was a Salsa El Mariachi SS, but I kind of like most of their bikes, and they are seriously versatile. Their Ti bikes are amazing, too.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Deadwood is not even close to being the same as Trek Stache +.

one is touring bike, and one is meant to be ridden hard.