Thread: Boone tune

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Boone tune

It took a spell to get, but the wait is certainly worth it. Brett is a true artisan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mtn Biker Machinist

Holy Crap!

That is probably the most beautiful crankset I have ever seen! Even better looking than the Eno IMO (that should rub a few here the wrong way)! Where did those cranks come from and how much were they? Any other colors available? More details and pics when you get them mounted. Amazing! I am drooling all over my desk!

espresso lover

Tune

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Where did those cranks come from?
    Try www.tune.de (they also have the page in english)
    No cool signature...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    That is probably the most beautiful crankset I have ever seen! Even better looking than the Eno IMO (that should rub a few here the wrong way)! Where did those cranks come from and how much were they? Any other colors available? More details and pics when you get them mounted. Amazing! I am drooling all over my desk!
    Thanks, 1 cog frog. Here's where I purchased the cranks: http://www.starbike.com/php/product_...blKurbel&id=33

Cheers!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thaumazein
    It took a spell to get, but the wait is certainly worth it. Brett is a true artisan.
    I don't know, those sure look like Topline cranks that were super flexy and broke ALL the time. I hope they work well for you.
    "Do not touch the trim"

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I don't know, those sure look like Topline cranks that were super flexy and broke ALL the time. I hope they work well for you.
    They might look like them but Tune cranks have a pretty good reputaion. Too bad they dont come in purple...
    Herro prease

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by thaumazein

wow....that is a sweet set up.

let's see....ABOUT 400g for the crank arms and another 32g or so for the boone ti ring. add some chainring bolts (short/stubby suginos) that are about 20g;

total...452 grams or so!!!

quite abit lighter than my 175mm/32t eno cranks (which are plenty stiff and durable).

post again after you have a few rides on the set.

also, how much do you weigh and what bb are you going to use??? phil wood or am classic ti???

cheers and nice cranks!!!

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    some chainring bolts (short/stubby suginos) that are about 20g
    My guess is that they are alloy. Probably more like 7-9g for the set.
    Herro prease

FIFI!
    remind me of the older cooks cranks, those are swank man. very nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    wow....that is a sweet set up.

let's see....ABOUT 400g for the crank arms and another 32g or so for the boone ti ring. add some chainring bolts (short/stubby suginos) that are about 20g;

total...452 grams or so!!!

quite abit lighter than my 175mm/32t eno cranks (which are plenty stiff and durable).

post again after you have a few rides on the set.

also, how much do you weigh and what bb are you going to use??? phil wood or am classic ti???

cheers and nice cranks!!!
    Well, I weigh about a buck 70 (I hope to be back to 155 by the end of the summer), and I'm using a phil bb for the set-up. Just one more piece to go...a ti unicrown fork from James at Black Sheep...and the Kish cruiser will finally be ready to ride. By the way, you're DeSalvo is one of the nicest bikes I've seen in a long time. Boat drinks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Need more coffee...

That would be "your DeSalvo," not "you're DeSalvo." Sheez, time for some more mud. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

They are sugino bolts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    My guess is that they are alloy. Probably more like 7-9g for the set.
    In terms of durability, alloy bolts make me a bit nervous.

Fixed and single.
    Yeah to hell with alloy bolts, but those cranks are still hot! Enjoy!

mtbr member

Fee

uck. Those are sweet. I went to those websites. They no speaka da Engrish. WTF?

Cool bits.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

used to be uno-speedo....
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    uck. Those are sweet. I went to those websites. They no speaka da Engrish. WTF?

Cool bits.

Sean
    Click on the British (Union Jack) flag and you'll find your English.

newbie boobie.
    Tell me...

what crank bolts are doze?

Also, tell me more about this Ti unicrown fork...

I have a cruiser that I need built... and have a Morati fork, but it just doesn't look perfect. A Type II would be ideal... but, in Ti.

Pics o' it?
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ti fork

Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    Tell me...

what crank bolts are doze?

Also, tell me more about this Ti unicrown fork...

I have a cruiser that I need built... and have a Morati fork, but it just doesn't look perfect. A Type II would be ideal... but, in Ti.

Pics o' it?
    Crank bolts are sugino (steel). In terms of the fork, James is basically going to create a version of the kelly fork pictured below in titanium. Spoke with Ryan at Black Sheep about design (unicrown), graphics (two small sheep), and price ($450); a great guy to work with. Will post pics of both the fork and final build soon. Jim sent me this frame a LONG time ago, but with school, work, and family matters, I just haven't been able to put her together. The fork is the final piece to the puzzle. I can't wait to roll. By the way, your ti retrotec is a masterpiece. An honest to god masterpiece. Can't wait to see the final build. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

oh my god!!!

that cruiser if incredible, cant wait to see the finished bike. Wow!!! Wish i had the disposable income to get something like that...oh wait, i dont even have a positive income flow...damn...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    wow, that rig is going to be incredible!!! those cranks are going to look great on it!

as for the sugino bolts...i got a few sets from speedgoat. short, stubby and steel....alloy bolt suck. the suginos are prefect for ss.

donkekus....what crown to axle is your morati??? if you wanna get rid of it for a unicrown, i'd love to put it on my cross bike!!!

oh, and thanks for the nice words on my ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Early shot of a DeSalvo Ti cruiser...

wow, that rig is going to be incredible!!! those cranks are going to look great on it!

as for the sugino bolts...i got a few sets from speedgoat. short, stubby and steel....alloy bolt suck. the suginos are prefect for ss.

donkekus....what crown to axle is your morati??? if you wanna get rid of it for a unicrown, i'd love to put it on my cross bike!!!

oh, and thanks for the nice words on my ride.
    I know you're a fan of DeSalvo, Kam, and so I thought I'd post this shot for ya. Mike sent me this pic this morning. The frame is much farther along than this shot indicates (the pic was taken two weeks ago, and his camera pooped out shortly thereafter), and it should go to Spectrum for paint early next week. Frame is ti, while the fork is steel. As soon as I can afford it (a spell...I've tapped out my bike funds for the foreseeable future), I'll purchase a Speedhub for this rig. If anyone is considering a custom frame, both Mike DeSalvo and Jim Kish are excellent w/r to price, time, and friendly input. Enjoy the weekend.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    wow...that's is gonna be a sweet ride.

my desalvo #2, a steel cx frame with paul comp dropouts, is at spectrum right now (i think it's been there for about 1 month now). i emailed Mike to check on progress, but he hasn't replied yet. i was thinking he has been busy building a batch of frames and your pic comfirms that.

i'll post pics here when i get that frame in.

i do agree with you on Kish and DeSalvo...two great builders with good prices and impeccable service. Nice guys too!!!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Whoa neat!

Wait a sec - you have an incomplete Kish ti cruiser *and* now a DeSalvo ti cruiser on the way?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the Kish cruiser should have been up and running...

Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Whoa neat!

Wait a sec - you have an incomplete Kish ti cruiser *and* now a DeSalvo ti cruiser on the way?

...months ago; it's my graduation present from my family. In terms of the DeSalvo, I had to sell my Atlantis and a ton of bike parts just to afford the frame. Still, I know two cruisers are excessive. Very excessive. And, as my wife and I are talking about bringing our first child into the world, they will probably be the only two bikes I'll be riding for a very, very long time. Cheers.

newbie boobie.
    Anyone in the mood to resize a photo? I lost my hard drive and with it thousands of dollars worth of prgrams..

I want to post an in progress photo of my ti cruiser... the Retrotec.
    It ain't easy being human.

dusty paw tracks
    <i>"Reliability and utility have become much more important to me as I continue building. I like sparse simplicity and bikes as useful cohorts rather than deities to be fawned over."</i> - matt chester

couldn't resist. i'm just as guilty as the next guy of fawning over bike frames and parts. but the ride is what matters, not what you ride. it's nice, very aesthetic. beautiful. amazing. i just try to stop myself from losing sight of why all this amazing stuff exits. it's to ride. without the ride, it's just useless parts. worth nothing.

sorry to jump in from left field. and for the record, i've got a phil wood decked out and a ventana, likewise. so i'm far from on a high horse here....

some of the best rides of my life were in 1990 on a Rockhopper. just riding