Are Boone cogs directional?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. Are Boone cogs directional?

I just had my 18T switched to a 17T and noticed the shop installed the 17T with the shinny surface facing in. My 18T had the shinny surface facing out. Does anyone have theirs installed facing in?

banned
    content deleted as it could possibly offend someone some where some how some time
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 03-22-2007 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member

Used to be directional

The Boone cogs used to shark-fin shaped teeth that were directional and could only be run with the shiney side out. The tooth profile is now symetrical on all of their cogs, and the cog can be run either way. I'm not exactly sure when the change was made, but I believe like 2 years ago. People usually run them with the shiney side out until they are too worn, then flip them over. Keep in mind your chainline will move slightly when the cog is flipped.

Mark

banned
    content deleted as it could possibly offend someone some where some how some time
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 03-22-2007 at 06:55 PM.

highly visible
    Boone cogs are deliberately nondirectional so that you can flip them over and get double the life out of them. I've run mine both ways. I would be amazed if anyone could collapse a Boone cog by running it "backwards".
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

34N 118W

shiney out

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Boone cogs are deliberately nondirectional so that you can flip them over and get double the life out of them. I've run mine both ways. I would be amazed if anyone could collapse a Boone cog by running it "backwards".
    I have an older 21t Boone and like bikeny said, the teeth are notched on one side, so they definitely look directional. Like a little pocket for the chain link to fit in. the opposite side is curved outward a bit. Not that the chain would ever slip off, but you wouldn't instinctively install it that way.

mtbr member
    The design is certainly directional, I would contact Boone and ask before assuming anything.

Most cogs are not directional. Your shop may not have thought about it.

mtbr member
    OK, I guess you could say the cog design is directional, but the tooth profile is not directional. It would be interesting to see what Boone has to say about running them backwards. I would be very surprised if someone could deform one of these cogs running it backwards. But, the only reason I could see to run them with the shiney side in is if they are worn out from running the other way, which takes quiet a while!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Brett Boone says:

The cogs were designed to have the polish surface facing towards the chainstay (outboard), the pattern is aesthetically designed to mount that way, but the teeth are not cut directional. It will actually function either way.

Thanks,
    Brett

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    The design is certainly directional, I would contact Boone and ask before assuming anything.

Most cogs are not directional. Your shop may not have thought about it.
    Certainly not making any assumptions: it has been discussed numerous times in the past on this board. The current design is directional only in form, not in function. FWIW, my "shop" was Boone direct, as with most other purchasers.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member

Now I know

And knowing is half the battle!
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    FWIW, my "shop" was Boone direct, as with most other purchasers.
    I was referring to OP.

Members who have read this thread: 0